• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Cotton Candy Pokemon? Gamefreak is Officially Running Out of Ideas!

Rather than be a condescending bag of sillies, I'll acknowledge that your analogies were actually pretty good. Right, maybe there were some spices that were added to the bag which increased the flavor (i.e. double battles, triple battles, horde battles). Right, maybe there ARE more nacho chips in each bag (there's like over 600 PKMN at this point). Right, maybe the packaging IS prettier (XY graphics compared to, say, RGBY). But, with the right (wrong?) person, eating the chip will still be stale, hard, and just inedible. :yes:

Then you don't eat the chips.

I don't watch sports because I don't enjoy sports, but you wouldn't find me around a message board complaining about how all football games are the same and boring.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You clearly haven't played all of the Pokémon games, so you can only assume the series has gotten stale, of which it hasn't. Just because the designs aren't to your liking does not mean the series is becoming stale. The fact that they implement new ideas constantly prevents the series from becoming stale.

Are you really going to tell me that I haven't played all of the Pokémon games? Stop there. But I'll ignore that. Rather, let's take your next point - that the series isn't becoming stale. Can you tell me why I'm repeating the same tired "collect badges, defeat Elite Four" sequence of events? The story telling may have been improved considerably from Gen 4 to Gen 5 (and I EXPECT it will be improved with this gen as well), but I'm still leveling up my Pokemon and collecting badges. It's reached Call of Duty levels of repetition. There may be differences in the gameplay that takes an expert eye to notice, but I'm doing the same stuff with each "new" installment. Really, the most significant change is that it gets harder to Catch 'Em All due to jumping from consoles. ;p

Then you don't eat the chips.

I don't watch sports because I don't enjoy sports, but you wouldn't find me around a message board complaining about how all football games are the same and boring.

Just because you don't watch sports doesn't make your opinion on football games any less valid. If you notice something being formulaic and too "samey," then say something. There's no rhyme or reason why you need to be suppressed simply because you don't like it and a lot of other people do. Even if your opinion will be marred left and right for it being negative, you can still bring it out. Which I'm doing here and will continue to do so.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That cotton Candy Pokemon is adorable <3 It may be uncreative, but each generation has had its fair share of unoriginal Pokemon.

Ikr. I think people just look back with rose-tinted spectacles.

And I think it's cute, too! I like it. It's a funny little thing. :D Also, I love cotton candy so, double good.

I'm not exactly too fond of the design, but I like it. Though this isn't a design I would enjoy, I certainly don't think Game Freak are running out of ideas, I mean other Gen VI Pokémon look really cool and I look forward to what other designs Game Freak can come up with.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ventus said:
Can you tell me why I'm repeating the same tired "collect badges, defeat Elite Four" sequence of events?

You do realize that it changes every time, right? You don't have the same gym leaders, same badges, same Pokémon used, same gyms, same elite four members, etc. It changes per game to prevent the series from becoming stale. Really, you're complaining about nothing. :I

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You do realize that it changes every time, right? You don't have the same gym leaders, same badges, same Pokémon used, same gyms, same elite four members, etc. It changes per game to prevent the series from becoming stale. Really, you're complaining about nothing. :I

You don't have the same maps and guns in CoD. You don't have the same physics, even. You don't have the same TEAMS. And yet it's commonly called stale. Please don't tell me I'm complaining about nothing. Me complaining about nothing is saying that Pokemon hasn't evolved into an first person shooter. >_____>'

You don't have the same maps and guns in CoD. You don't have the same physics, even. You don't have the same TEAMS. And yet it's commonly called stale.

Well I'm not being funny, but at least Pokémon actually attempts to do something new in each installment, whereas CoD just sticks to "pick up a gun, shoot!" and doesn't really do anything new besides including new guns, maps etc. I have trouble trying to figure out what exactly is different between each Call of Duty game other than the fact that it has a different title.

Kirino

Tatakae
The same basic formula is kept between games, but everything else around it is changed, and that, at least for me, keeps it from getting stale. And even then, there's alterations and changes to the basic formula that keep it from feeling the same each game. I wouldn't say Pokemon is anywhere near CoD's level of stagnation.

Just because you don't watch sports doesn't make your opinion on football games any less valid. If you notice something being formulaic and too "samey," then say something. There's no rhyme or reason why you need to be suppressed simply because you don't like it and a lot of other people do. Even if your opinion will be marred left and right for it being negative, you can still bring it out. Which I'm doing here and will continue to do so.

Is being "samey" really bad? (I'd argue that Pokémon has changed more than people give it credit for, but that's besides the point.)

Furthermore, competing in the "Pokémon League" has always been a backdrop, and full-on irrelevant in Black/White. You've always been encouraged to bond, train, and explore the world around you with your Pokémon. Each time that world is different, each time your Pokémon grow differently, no game is the same. Complaining about leveling up your Pokémon is like complaining about Mario jumping, or complaining about Link swinging his sword, it's a core mechanic of the series.

It doesn't take an expert eye to see the changes the series has made, but it sure does take a less ignorant one.

If it still tastes good, then for most people, it's not stale. The sales are still consistent so clearly people still enjoy the "taste", so they aren't stale yet. CoD also isn't stale because people enjoy the taste. Maybe it's a lot of same old same old but it has a long shelf life. Look how ****ing good my food analogies are.

I know that it's been a while since I've spoken to you. It's just, I've been having a big of trouble believing in your existence. My grasp on science and logic has advanced quite a bit since I was a pup. But now that I've gazed upon your majesty in the form of this post, I have changed my ways and now I believe. Please accept my forgiveness, god!

98757538-wtf.gif

Meh. They are running out of ideas. I'm waiting for my Doritos bag Pokemon tbh. Just give us a revitalized Kanto/Johto and I'm good.

Still, I can't really blame them. All prestigious franchises have gone stale as of late - some have even died (rip Megaman). :yes:

Bro, are you wearing nostalgia goggles? Gen I had some Garage Sale Rejects out the wazoo. Remember Jynx, Mr. Mime, Electrode, Voltorb, Muk, Magnemite, Magneton, etc.? These guys were as far from animal-based as one can get. Two of them are darn-near human in form, and using them in battle almost looks like slavery.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone is going to like every Pokémon design that comes out; Game Freak is even aware of that. People have different tastes, different design sensibilities. There's a Pokémon for everyone out there to choose from. Not even gonna start on that "stale" bit. It appears as if everyone has already torn you a new one already.

I'll just say that a lot of the new designs so far have been looking quite like "collectible animals" (see Gogoat, Fennekin, Litleo, Sylveon, etc.), and you're letting one cloud doggie get your pantaloons ruffled. Sigh.

Regarding the Swirlix. A lot of you seem to mistake its moniker too literally. It's called the Cotton Candy Pokémon due to the fact that it really enjoys sweet things, so much so, that it secretes sweetness in its fluffy [fur?], giving it the likeness of cotton candy—nice little Fairy theme going on there. If it weren't for this little detail, it would appear to just a regular old fluffy white dog that has retractable legs and ears. I think it looks like a fluffy cloud thing, and I really like it. It's English name, however, makes me grind my teeth in irritation...

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
Well there's a good reason why is cotton candy. You see they are doing good with introducing the new Fairy Type in my opinion, and as you know Swirlix is Fairy type. Well Cotton Candy was originally called Fairy Floss, and is still called that in some countries.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
you really can't say anything about current pokemon w/o some jerk-off dogging on you calling you a gen 1 *** and actually taking the time to list 'bad' pokemon designs from that time when everyone clearly knows bad designs have been around forever

M

MajorasRage

As far as the title goes, I felt that when the 5th gen first came out, hated the 5th gen pokemon, most of them seemed like obvious rips of 1st gen pokemon. It certainly had it's cool pokemon (Co***rius for the win) but as a whole I was disappointed. 6th gen however, looks absolutely fantastic. It makes me think that they just decided to put all their bad ideas on a dying console so that they could put all their best ideas on the newer handheld to make it even better.

Lol eventually they'll need a "food" type. Honestly, I don't really care about the design of the pokemon much, although it helps if they aren't terrible, and imo, they've never been. Some pokemon ideas are a little ridiculous, but I'm just excited for a new installment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom