• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A BotW Trilogy?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I have absolutely no basis for this question, but I'll ask it anyway; what would you think if the BotW story spanned three games and not just two? It wouldn't be the first time we've had a trilogy of games (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks), and it really depends on how BotW 2's story gets wrapped up, but I'm wondering what you guys would think if this happened. This doesn't mean that other games can't come out in between the releases, but would you like it? Would you think we've had enough of this part of the series? I wouldn't complain if they could keep making it interesting, and considering how amazing BotW was and how cool BotW 2 is shaping up to be, a trilogy might make me very happy. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect Aonuma to keep the BotW train going for as long as he can, or at least for as long as the Switch so a third game is very possible.

Even more so since BotW2 was originally BotW1 DLC and Aonuma has already said that BotW2 will have DLC.

So if Aonuma can't help himself again then we will probably get BotW3

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well they are bringing Ganondorf back in this game so I'd say no, don't do a Trilogy by making a sequel to BotW 2. I just don't see Ganondorf being in BotW 2 without some kind of resolution being led up to - whether its Ganondorf being killed, or sealed. I don't think leaving us with a cliffhanger would be good. And even if they do kill off Ganondorf, who would the main villian of BotW 3 be and how would they tie into all the games? I mean, I guess they could put a villian in place in BotW 2 who was channeling Ganondorf's power, and is directly responsible for Calamity Ganon for their own evil reasons. My problem there is it diminishes Ganondorf as a character. I think of Ganondorf as being an intimidating final boss that is the only true mastermind behind the happenings of the games he is in. If Ganondorf becomes the lacky of some different villian... it'd ruin the aura he exudes, and it'd piss me off. So no, don't do anything like that.

I would probably be ok if they went the BotW prequel route to make the games a trilogy, though.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Don't want it. The story is shallow and hardly demanding of a trilogy. There are plenty of other titles more suited for sequels.

Personally I don't want it, it's okay for one game to pay omage to the first game in the series, but when two games in a row to it, that's where I draw the line.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I suggested before BoTW that Zelda should do a Mass Effect Style Trilogy. With the first Entry having a lesser threat but there being the hint at something bigger and the second entry having the protagonist beaten and the enemy prevailing and then the third where the protagonist fights back and ends things.

I'd be all up for this if they were going to go deep on the lore and focus on the story but in BoTW they really didn't do that so unless they add a hell of a lot more depth into the sequels I would not see the point of a trilogy.

There is also the matter of having explored Hyrule in BoTW 1 so for sequels they would have to add new areas to the existing map of Hyrule, have an event dramatically change the landscape and feel or have you visit other worlds or lands.

I think it all depends on how much they'll cover in BOTW2, and how successful it'll be. Aonuma wants to explore his creation more, and basically said in an interview he wants to continue blowing minds with these next Zelda games. It's possible but BOTW2 needs to come out first to really judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom