• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

98%

Is 98% accurate?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'll see when the game comes out

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As seen on Zelda Dungeon's main page, the Official Nintendo Magazine has given Skyward Sword a 98/100 in its review. That's insane. Do you realize how good a 98 is? That's about as perfect as a game can get. What are your thoughts on this? I know the game isn't out yet, but do you agree with the rating? Please tell! :)

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well, I have no doubts that we'll get a great game but we must remember that this score is straight from Nintendo, and they have to advertise their products, so I'll take that with a grain of salt and wait for other reviews from GameFAQs etc. to get a more accurate and neutral rating.
Reviews don't matter that much to me anyway, the game's already pre-ordered and I won't cancel it no matter the score.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would say that is just about right for SS. With all the time they spent on this game I would expect it to be as good as OOT. Miyamoto himself said if it was not the best then he would not be making more games. Of course this is not to be taken literally, but if he believes this game can surpass or be as good as OOT then I shall accept what he says. When it comes out of course I shall know for sure if the rating of 98% is accurate for me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's insane. Do you realize how good a 98 is? That's about as perfect as a game can get.
No, not true. 98 isn't a 100. Several games have made a 100, not by ONM but by other, more professional/unbiased reviewers. I'm waiting for the Famitsu 40/40 that I have a hunch Skyward Sword will get. If not because it is a great game, then because it is a Zelda game.

Furthermore, I don't agree with ONM giving SS a 98. The game deserves a 100, with all the reasonable hype and justified hype it is getting. Really, I'm waiting for the perfect scores to roll in.

GameFAQs etc. to get a more accurate and neutral rating.

GameFAQs...accurate/neutral? No, I'm sorry. On GFAQs, you have bashers and fanboys, for the most part. I would know – I've sent in a review for Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and it was accept; though the thing that changes everything is the review was entirely biased. Similarly, Coded got a really low score (I think it was a 3/10) by a user named won't say his name and THAT was accepted, yet clearly biased and without reason behind it. Many similar things have happened with Star Ocean 3, SO2, SO4, even Batman Arkham Asylum. GFAQs isn't accurate. I wouldn't even vouch for Metacritic...

I can imagine the deducted points were for having to backtrack to previous dungeons. The game screams perfection, however!

No, not true. 98 isn't a 100. Several games have made a 100, not by ONM but by other, more professional/unbiased reviewers. I'm waiting for the Famitsu 40/40 that I have a hunch Skyward Sword will get. If not because it is a great game, then because it is a Zelda game.

Furthermore, I don't agree with ONM giving SS a 98. The game deserves a 100, with all the reasonable hype and justified hype it is getting. Really, I'm waiting for the perfect scores to roll in.

GameFAQs...accurate/neutral? No, I'm sorry. On GFAQs, you have bashers and fanboys, for the most part. I would know – I've sent in a review for Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and it was accept; though the thing that changes everything is the review was entirely biased. Similarly, Coded got a really low score (I think it was a 3/10) by a user named won't say his name and THAT was accepted, yet clearly biased and without reason behind it. Many similar things have happened with Star Ocean 3, SO2, SO4, even Batman Arkham Asylum. GFAQs isn't accurate. I wouldn't even vouch for Metacritic...

Metacritic is great. All critic scores assembled in one place and the layout beats Game Rankings by miles!

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I can imagine the deducted points were for having to backtrack to previous dungeons. The game screams perfection, however!

No, they praised that. The backtrack points are for using a dungeon item against dungeon boss and dungeons being somewhat short.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
The rating sounds just right, I think, but we will have to see it once the game actually comes out. Remember, most of the ratings(probably all of them) are just opinions of a game. Which means that your definition of a 98% might not be the raters' definiton.

Now, I'm not saying that Skyward Sword should receive less, but I would rate it for myself once I actually get to play the game, and see if it is 98% or higher for me. I feel like it will be, after watching all the previews.

Vibed

must read before he posts
It's just an opinion, I'm sure it's going to vary quite a bit. Accurate isn't exactly the correct word, but it's how I think I might be rating it when it comes around. Then again, I'm a big Zelda fan and thus undeniably biased.

Well, I have no doubts that we'll get a great game but we must remember that this score is straight from Nintendo, and they have to advertise their products, so I'll take that with a grain of salt and wait for other reviews from GameFAQs etc. to get a more accurate and neutral rating.
I'm fairly sure ONM isn't a part of NOE themselves, but I could be wrong. Also, GameFAQs, although not paid, have incredibly biased users.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I think the score is about right. (Note I have not played it yet so this could be totally from hype.) I have found every game has its supporters and its critics. I have never found an unbiased review. I have found that you need to read a few different reviews before deciding to get a game. That being said, I agree with it based on my hype and the joy I've had playing every zelda so far. I've played each one multiple times and beat each one at least once. In my opinion most other games pale in comparison to zelda.

P.S.I bet Nintendo power will rate it 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10.

K

KgUnknown

Well, I can't really say if this is accurate, because I actually don't even have a Wii (here, Wii are a little expensive, with all the taxes), but I would get a Wii just to play this game (and then others), just to see if this game deserves the title of "Best Zelda Game EVER"

I would pretty much say "Yes" to all of the spoilers I have seen.. but in the mean time I would wait until we all play the game before calculating its score.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!

Yeah, maybe GF is not the best example but I'm someone who prefers an aggregate score over one of a single "professional" reviewer. Sure, in the first case you have fanboys and haters too but I think that they pretty much even out each other so that in the end there'll be a more realistic score than from a single and possibly biased (Nintendo rates itself?) reviewer.
Those single "professional" reviewers have a completely different approach to games so they pay attention to different parts of the game than normal gamers like me and you do. For example they'll probably compare Zelda's graphics to those of MW3 or so, but it's not Zelda's fault that the Wii isn't that strong when it comes to processing power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom