• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

90's and Today Anime/manga Vs 80's

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
Here's another manga/anime thread, this one as the title suggests is about the different art form between the style of manga today and late 90's to early 90's and 80's. Examples are Dragon ball vs. Bleach, now I never read bleach but I looked at its art form and noticed that it and naruto and bakuman kinda almost have this art that looks similar not really but close. Now when you look at Dragon ball and galaxy express 999 (anime) they almost look similar too. Im wondering is it just what you grew up reading or watching? This will be an example of manga/anime girls and im guilty of it too but did you notice that they have big heads eyes i know that it tells expression, but its almost like the definitive choice for many manga artist? and when you look at chi-chi from dragon ball you can see a different between eras. this is my opinion but feel free too look at my mistakes and tell me what you think.

omg i effing luv you for mentioning galaxy express 999 <3

I was born in 1990, and I started watching anime pretty early on - even before I actually 'knew' what I was watching. And seeing as most anime in the US in the early 90s had come out in Japan years earlier (in the 80s), that means that I've grown up with anime through all of its many visual/conceptual changes.

All that said, I largely prefer 'classic' anime series from the 80s and the 90s, and while I can't quite put my finger on it, I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia. Regarding the late 90s/early 2000s anime: there are a few gems to be found, but I believe much of it falters story-wise, as 'everything has already been done'; it has, however, shown tremendous improvement in artstyle/animation...

Can't quite comment on manga, as I have not read much of the new stuff. Although, I imagine that I'd prefer the older stuff in the same fashion that I prefer older anime...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom