• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

$70 Tears of the Kingdom?

Tears of the Kingdom briefly went up for preorders on the eShop for 70 U.S. dollars.

It's now been taken down. Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy, and others have taken down their preorders so this higher price point seems accurate.

Do you think this higher price for Tears of the Kingdom is true? And if so, what do you think about this?

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
well i'd probably pay it, but yikes, that is a lot for a video game. i wonder how parents will feel about buying it for their kids this time around

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I mean I'll still get it but I hope that means that there will be a lot of content and that it runs well enough to justify it. I guess we will see when actual preorders drop. The things I will do for Zelda games.. I guess.

I think this price is OK. I believe that the game will have the quality to justify the price.

Vote with your wallet, I guess.

Hard to tell if it's true, I would have normally expected them to wait until the next gen to start jacking up the prices. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise though, considering literally everything else has gotten more expensive in the last few years.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
In Australia at least, Breath of the Wild already cost $10 more than the standard Switch game ($90 instead of $80) since it launched. The same applies to Smash Ultimate. I'm not surprised at all Tears of the Kingdom is no different. To be honest, the price has basically no impact on my decision to get it or not, because I'm always going to be buying a new 3D Zelda game on day 1 regardless.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
PS5 games are standard priced at $70 too aren't they? Nintendo probably thinks they can get away with it now, as well. This says something about the gaming industry that is probably more eloquently put by someone else, but yeah. Sucks. Sucks that this is probably gonna be the new standard for Nintendo now, too. And it sucks even more they're trying it with a game they know so many people (myself included) can't pass up because it'll be successful as a result.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If they pulled the trigger too soon, and that is what it ends up being priced at, I feel like it's not that shocking. Like Az mentioned, $70 is the typical price range for a Playstation game, they probably think they can get away with it, and for a game like TotK they definitely can.

Actually Mases was just bringing up to us over on Discord that back in the day $70 was typical for a first party Nintendo game back in the N64 era. He mentioned Majora's Mask was an $80 game, plus with the expansion pack it was around $100. With that in mind, we've had it really good the last few years.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Probably gonna become the standard, even for a game released on a console two or three generations behind from a technical standpoint. Will also likely push more people to opt for physical releases where they otherwise wouldn't either due to getting games pre-owned for seller-specific discounts. I'm already lukewarm on BotW2 but this will almost certainly cause me to wait a while before getting it.

Gorozoron

wild ride
If they pulled the trigger too soon, and that is what it ends up being priced at, I feel like it's not that shocking. Like Az mentioned, $70 is the typical price range for a Playstation game, they probably think they can get away with it, and for a game like TotK they definitely can.

Actually Mases was just bringing up to us over on Discord that back in the day $70 was typical for a first party Nintendo game back in the N64 era. He mentioned Majora's Mask was an $80 game, plus with the expansion pack it was around $100. With that in mind, we've had it really good the last few years.
Regression.
Expected.
Dejected.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
Well, yeah that seems overpriced, even if the game is gonna be a masterpiece. I don’t want this to be the standard for future Switch games though, and I hope this game will be worth the 70$

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I’d pay it if that’s what ended up being the price, though I wouldn’t be happy about it because everything is crazy overpriced these days and a lot of people are struggling financially.

RavenRaziel98

Yeah baby, I am the lizard king!
Xbox full prices seem to raise too though, Hogwarts Legacy pre-order price was 75€ instead of the 70€ standard.
Regarding worth the value... I don't know enough about Nintendos to make a verdict, but a lot of stuff that comes on Xbox is without a doubt not even worth the full price already for various reasons. What annoys me the most is that buying used copies is not longer an option because my X One DD died and I won't be able to get a Series X in the near future - but I'm getting off-track...

Tl;dr: Since Xbox games seem get more expensive too, expecting 70 bucks as the new standard for Switch games is (sadly) fairly likely.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs

yeah older games varied in price and some can get mad expensive, especially if they had something special like a super FX chip for SNES games, modern games have had it way too good staying at $60 when you think about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom