• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

$70 Tears of the Kingdom?

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
the collectors edition is even worse, $130 USD for, almost double the price for a box, a few pins, a poster, an art book and a steelbook, like not even including the new Link amiibo in it, still going to get TotK (and luckily Amazon AU still had a preorder up for a decent price, $75 AUD (about $52 USD)), but going to pass on the collectors edition, just seems horrible value IMO

yeah older games varied in price and some can get mad expensive, especially if they had something special like a super FX chip for SNES games, modern games have had it way too good staying at $60 when you think about it
I mean, the ammount of people that play games nowadays compared to back then is ridiculously more, there’s just way more people buying videogames! I see no reason why TotK should be $70, I will still buy it regardless, but still, I don’t think the price is justified.

Rinku

Suupa Saiya-jin
For a game that has most (90%) of its content build upon a previous version with no (so far) visible improvement (graphics-animation), I think it's quite expensive. I mean, they are developing this game for 6 years (4 if you count COVID out) but they chose the same materials of an already build game.

If 70 is justified then Breath of the Wild should cost 120 dollars/euros at the time of tis release, since everything was done from scratch.

Inflation is no excuse to pump the price of a mostly recycled (at least visualy) content. Also bear in mind for all those who say about Ps5 or Xbox games having the same price, that most of AAA games are, after 1-2 years, in sales. 25-70%. Nintendo headliners on the other hand.... no.

I will buy the game, but I don't like where this is going with old Ninty.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The good news is that they seem to be doing this on a case by case basis, which is why games like Pikmin 4 and Kirby's Return to Dreamland: Deluxe are still priced at the standard 60 and even Metroid Prime: Remastered at 40, which is interesting considering Skyward Sword HD went full price.

I personally don't think the 70 dollars is justified for Tears of the Kingdom. For one, it's not even on new hardware and has no current gen features to "justify" the price hike like Playstation or Xbox.

There's definitely truth to games costing more to develop these days, and it was evident last generation as well with how much slower big name developers were churning out games compared to the previous generation which saw whole trilogies of new IPs or even just a much more varied number of releases.

But I still don't think a price increase is justified. Especially with how well games sell today. Playstation and Take Two in particular seemed to have championed the 10 dollar increase which I find so dishonest when you consider Playstation games have no problem moving 10 million plus copies and games like GTA V and Red Dead Redemption II having just reached 175 million and 50 million units sold respectively.

But it's hard to blame them when all I ever see on social media is stupid console war bullsh*t, with the Playstation fanboys leading the charge about how amazing Playstation's exclusives are and how they're such premium products that they wouldn't mind paying more for at the sight or mention of anything Xbox or Nintendo. When your audience is that gullible and stupid, they're kind of begging to be taken advantage of, and well, now we have 70 dollar games as an industry standard.

What I find most problematic with this is the fact that new IPs and studios are going to end up suffering the most from this because they don't have the same buit in audience and recognition that companies like Sony or Rockstar have garnered over damn near 3 decades. At the end of the day, people are just going to spend more money on what they already love, like I'm sure most of us are going to do here and just bite the pillow with Tears of the Kingdom.

When Capcom of all companies still seems firm on the usual 60 dollar pricing for their upcoming guaranteed multi-million sellers like Resident Evil 4 and Street Fighter VI, you know something ain't right with everyone else's story.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
€69 over here. I'm still going to buy it though. It's to be expected. The game's going to be massive I guess with lots of content. As long as it's hours and hours of gameplay it's fine with me

Game feels like DLC. and not a new game I am waiting on more information before I preorder.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
While the price increase to $70 is hardly surprising given how game prices seem to be one of the few inflation-resistant things on the market, it's a hard pill to swallow that a game originally intended as an expansion pack for BotW can justify such a price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom