• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

6 Hearts Here to Stay?

Will Future Console Titles Start Off With 6 Hearts?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• I don't know

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So, with Skyward Sword starting us off with 6 hearts ratger than 3, I think it's only natural to ask the question, "Will future console titles use 6 hearts, as well?" Yes, I did say "console titles", not future titles in general. Reason being I don't see any reason to believe that the handheld titles will use this. They're still the old button-controlled games, and it was a motion-controlled game that used 6 hearts. Future console titles will no doubt be using motion controls (Aonuma himself confirmed this late last year), so the question of if future titles will start us off with 6 hearts lies soley with them. (At least it sure seems that way.) As for me, I really don't know. I think it could go either way, so I'll just have to wait and see a few years from now.

So, I again ask, do you think we'll be seeing Zelda Wii U and console titles after that use 6 hearts rather than 3? Discuss!

Last edited:

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I know this is a little nit-picky, but I can't stand the idea of changing this element in Zelda games. I think Nintendo made some enemies in Skyward Sword way too powerful, and this only allowed for the 6 hearts at the start. To me, it's almost a slap in the face. Why not just put those other three heart containers around the map, or maybe the reward for an extra boss. I just don't like the set-up. I'm so used to the 3 hearts to start out with, that I just don't feel right starting out with 6. I almost want to hurt myself to where I have 3 hearts and then I will start trying. I don't know, I might be crazy, but I feel like Nintendo changed too many core or recognizable elements in Zelda when they released Skyward Sword (I'm not saying that it sucks as a game, because it is really cool, I'm just saying that it sucks as a Zelda game). Anyways, on to your question. I can't say whether they will implement it in future console games or not, because Nintendo is so unpredictable, but I think there is a sadly high probability for it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I know this is a little nit-picky, but I can't stand the idea of changing this element in Zelda games. I think Nintendo made some enemies in Skyward Sword way too powerful, and this only allowed for the 6 hearts at the start. To me, it's almost a slap in the face. Why not just put those other three heart containers around the map, or maybe the reward for an extra boss. I just don't like the set-up. I'm so used to the 3 hearts to start out with, that I just don't feel right starting out with 6. I almost want to hurt myself to where I have 3 hearts and then I will start trying. I don't know, I might be crazy, but I feel like Nintendo changed too many core or recognizable elements in Zelda when they released Skyward Sword (I'm not saying that it sucks as a game, because it is really cool, I'm just saying that it sucks as a Zelda game). Anyways, on to your question. I can't say whether they will implement it in future console games or not, because Nintendo is so unpredictable, but I think there is a sadly high probability for it.

Why all the hate for the 6 hearts? And everything else, for that matter. It's not like Nintendo pulled a Resident Evil 5 stunt on us.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I would prefer if the three heart tradition were to continue in all instalments. There is nothing wrong with a six-heart start, but fewer beginning hearts means more HEART PIECES. :clap:

Last edited:
If Nintendo will continue upping the ante in terms of difficulty like it did in Skyward Sword and even up the bar further by causing bosses to inflict more damage as well, then 6 hearts are here to stay. If not, however, then I prefer the traditional 3 heart setup. As for what Nintendo does, I can not predict but have confidence the company will make the right decision.

LanceLercher said:

I think it's time that every Zelda fan realized that change is often good. Heck, there's a reason many gamers lampoon Nintendo and its fans for not being current and "up to date". With the company's ambitious plans to institute online social connectivity into every nook and cranny of the gaming world, however, it's clear that a company that was once deemed conservative is once more breaking the mold in innovation as it did i 2004, 2006, and 2011 with the Ds, Wii, and 3DS, respectively. It's time for fans of the company to do the same and embrace gameplay changes. I'd trust in Nintendo. The majority of the company's decisions are well-thought and rest on a solid foundation. The future is looking bright.

G

garomaster

I wouldn't mind if they keep the 6 hearts at the begining the the actual challenge of the game is increased, otherwise I'm fine with it being at the iconic 3

But really I don't care, Zelda will be awesome and the beeping near death will be annoying no matter how many hearts they start you off with :P

I didn't realise the enemies were doing more damage to Link in SS, but then I rarely got hit and I still don't know what the game over screen looks like. I just thought that the six hearts thing was to allow players a little trial and error at the first few enemies considering it was the first motion controlled Zelda game we all played. I actually needed the hearts when i came across the few Deku Babas when you reach the Sealed Grounds for the first time since that was the point where I learnt the controls like back flipping and strafing against something attacking me, and I left that fight with two hearts remaining, after that though I don't think it was too difficult.

The six hearts also made me feel a little bit more at ease when thinking about a 100% run, it felt as if i'd already started so it felt kind of homely to me. As far as hearts go on the subject in general I don't think the heart flowers will come back, I think SS was made extraordinarily easy just to ease us in to a franchise which has now changed its control scheme. To me the Hero Mode in SS was the true version of SS and the fist play through was a warm up. Anything that caused hassle in the first play through was down to it being tricky and clumsy rather than difficult; such as overshooting The Imprisoned when you're trying to land on its head. I'm not a huge fan of SS due to a lot of design decisions but the controls were wonderful and most of the time when things went wrong it was your fault not the game.

Overall though, I think the 3 Hearts will return now that the motion controls have been injected into us via SS, we won't need to begin with six hearts in the future, especially if the game will be bigger on the WiiU etc, it'd give us more heart pieces to collect like in TP and perhaps no more heart medals in order to spread more heart pieces throughout the game. Thats just what I think though.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
The simple answer is Skyward Sword gave you 6 because for most people the Wii controls were a little difficult (take how they made a video on how to Skyward Strike for example) and now with the Wii U using a controller again, it's all up to Nintendo on what they want to do, so I say maybe.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I think it strongly depends on how difficult the beginning of the game is.

Although Skyward Sword wasn't very difficult, at all, Nintendo still started you off with 6 hearts. I think this would be suitable for a harder game, namely Zelda II Adventure of Link.

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I think it's time that every Zelda fan realized that change is often good. Heck, there's a reason many gamers lampoon Nintendo and its fans for not being current and "up to date". With the company's ambitious plans to institute online social connectivity into every nook and cranny of the gaming world, however, it's clear that a company that was once deemed conservative is once more breaking the mold in innovation as it did i 2004, 2006, and 2011 with the Ds, Wii, and 3DS, respectively. It's time for fans of the company to do the same and embrace gameplay changes. I'd trust in Nintendo. The majority of the company's decisions are well-thought and rest on a solid foundation. The future is looking bright.

Hey, I'm not opposed to change, I'm just oppossed to what I think are key elemental changes in particular video game franchises like Zelda. When it is iconic, you don't just throw it away just because you made what are suppose to be weak enemies too strong. And if you really wanted to make it harder (people are always saying that Zelda can be too easy at times), then keep the three hearts, because that gives you less room for error. If you want it easier, then weaken the enemies attacks back down to what they were. Also, radical changes to a video game industry like Nintendo are almost always good, and this is different than changes in a video game series like Zelda or the like. Anyways, those are just my thoughts.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If Zelda games get anymore casual, then yes they'll start with 6 hearts. I don't care for six hearts, makes for less exploration and in turn a boring(er) game.

Nintendo giving us 6 hearts is Nintendo's way of saying "lol everyone who plays this game is a noob so here you go". It kills the fun for many people.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think they'll be here to stay so long as the enemies do a similar amount of damage in other titles. I see no reason why they would go back when 6 hearts worked well in SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom