• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

5th Gen OU

Kybyrian

Decided to jump right in and throw together a 5th gen OU team today. Only battled once with it against a modern Sunny Day team and won... with some minor mistakes on my part.

Ferrothorn (レイピスト) @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed
252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD
Explosion
Spikes
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Role
Ferrothorn is my lead. I've had good experiences with him in the past, so I've continued to use him to this day. He fares well against most leads, including fire-types with amped up special attack like Ninetales, which is a common Sunny Day lead. He can set up Spikes with relative ease and dish out some large hits with Gyro Ball, resorting to Explosion as needed.

Vaporeon (残念) @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Baton Pass
Acid Armor
Ice Beam
Scald
Role
Vaporeon's role is to take the big Fire- and Water-type hits. It covers the weaknesses of my Ferrothron and Terrakion. Vaporeon's biggest role is to force a switch after taking a Water- or Fire-type hit and use Acid Armor on that switch. Acid Armor can be used as many times as able, and then the Baton Pass will send that boost on over to Terrakion or Virizion.

Terrakion (神) @ Life Orb
Justified
Jolly
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
X-Scissor
Role
Terrakion is bulky and makes a perfect sweeper with his typing. He has a good speed that will outdo a lot of the OU tier in the 5th generation, meaning, with his Acid Armor boost from Vaporeon, he can easily set up a sweep with Swords Dance and his amazing power. I was considering Rock Polish for further boasting his ability to sweep quickly through a team, but opted for X-Scissor on type coverage. Heavily debating changing this to Rock Polish since most good Psychic-type Pokemon are speedy anyway, and Terrakion will be able to outspeed with Rock Polish and probably hit hard with Stone Edge.

Virizion (光) @ Life Orb
Justified
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Calm Mind
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
Stone Edge
Role
Virizion is a Calm Mind special sweeper. I'm reminiscent of Cresselia from the old days of DPPt. Virizion sports a great speed like Terrakion, and has a great movepool that really assists with this moveset. The bulkiness of Virizion really helps to get in a few Calm Minds and then proceed with some sweeping.

Gengar (闇) @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Substitute
Role
Gengar is a standard special sweeper, once again. His SpA and Spe make him a great Pokemon to utilize all around. Shadow Ball deals massive damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, and has great move coverage. Substitute can be used to get a Pokemon on the switch and allows for some great sweeping.

Haxorus (駆逐) @ Choice Band
Mold Breaker
Hardy
32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe
Earthquake
Outrage
Rock Slide
Brick Break
Role
Haxorus is an outstanding Pokemon that can break through just about every Pokemon in the OU meta with two or less hits. A variety in the movepool is extremely helpful to this set and the choice band boasts his already ridiculous attack stat. Rock Slide is used to counter Gyarados and Zapdos, which otherwise would require locking into Outrage. Dragon Claw or another move like Dual Chop wouldn't have sufficient power to take out either of those two Pokemon, so it's preferable to have a move like Rock Slide and lock into Outrage for everything else.​

Last edited:
Looks like a well put together team. It seems to have no major weaknesses and has almost every type, especially what's common in Gen 5 Meta, covered. My only concern, is other than the fact that Gengar cannot get hit from them, you have no coverage over Fighting types, which are fairly common to take on the Dark Types of this meta.

Otherwise, well done. I'm interested in battling against this team. You up for it? :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom