• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler 425 Tells It How It Is (He Gives a Zelda Timeline Theory)

Hero of…. #s, I guess
425's Zelda Timeline Theory

I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about the timeline, and trying to figure out how everything pieces together. Finally, I am ready to debut what I've determined here.

It should be noted that I have not played all the Zelda games—far from it, in fact. My signature says what I have played. However, in order to complete this timeline, I have done extensive research into the plots of the other Zelda games, so I hope that not having played those will not be a major issue.

First, I'm going to go over the games, each of them, their general story, their backstory, and, of course, the integral parts of the timeline, the location of the Triforce pieces, Master Sword, Ganon(dorf) and/or other key artifacts. Then, I'll place stuff. So, without further ado, let's get started into this eternal post of death (seriously, if you read this whole thing, I'll give you a cookie).

The Legend of Zelda
Story Arc: Link travels through 8 dungeons and obtains pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom (hereafter ToW). At the end, he kills Ganon with Silver Arrows.
Backstory: Ganon invaded the kingdom of Hyrule and stole the Triforce of Power (hereafter ToP), and attempted to steal the ToW. Zelda split it into 8 pieces and hid them. Impa went in search of a hero, and was found by Link
Triforce Locations:
ToP: Starts in Hyrule Royal Family, taken by Ganon; Ends taken back by Link for Royal Family
ToW: Starts in Hyrule Royal Family, split into 8 and hidden; Ends reformed by Link for Royal Family
Triforce of Courage (hereafter ToC): Unmentioned; presumably in the Great Palace
Master Sword Location: Unmentioned.
Ganon Location: Starts as Prince of Darkness who takes Triforce and goes to Death Mountain; Ends killed with Silver Arrows

Other Artifacts: N/A

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Story Arc: Following his defeat, Ganon's minions seek to pour Link's blood over Ganon's remains and revive him. Link, meanwhile, seeks to restore Hyrule by overcoming the trials of six palaces in order to break the seal on the Great Palace and obtain the ToC.
Backstory: Link had defeated Ganon, but Ganon's minions still sought to restore him. Link also learns that the ToC had long been sealed away, and that a prince, seeking the knowledge of its location from Zelda, had put her into an eternal sleep.
Triforce Locations:
ToP: Presumed to remain in the hands of the Royal Family
ToW: Presumed to remain in the hands of the Royal Family
ToC: Starts sealed in the Great Palace; Ends united with other Triforce pieces
Master Sword Location: Unmentioned
Ganon Location: Starts dead; Ends dead.

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods (A Link to the Past)
Story Arc: Link goes to Hyrule Castle and saves Princess Zelda from the evil wizard Aganhim, who seeks to put Hyrule into the Dark World by capturing the descendants of the 7 Wise Men. Link finds the three Pendants of Virtue and obtains the Master Sword, then saves all the maidens from where they are kept in the Dark World, and slays Agahnim and Ganon, who was manifested through Agahnim.
Backstory: In the kingdom of Hyrule, a band of thieves led by the the evil Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm. Ganondorf slew his fellows and claimed the Triforce, plunging the Sacred Realm into a Dark World. 7 Wise Men led a war against Ganondorf and the evil demons of the Dark World. The Wise Men managed to seal the Dark World away. This conflict is the Imprisoning War.
Triforce Locations: Full Triforce in Ganon/Agahnim's hands until Ganon is defeated, then in Link's hands.
Master Sword Location: Starts in the Lost Woods; Ends in the Lost Woods, to rest forever.
Ganon Location: Starts in control of Agahnim; Ends killed by Master Sword and Silver Arrows

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Story Arc: Link finds the Eight Instruments of the Sirens and awakens the Wind Fish by defeating the Nightmares. The whole story was actually a dream.
Backstory: After defeating Ganon, Link goes on a sea voyage, but he is shipwrecked.
Triforce Locations: N/A
Master Sword Location: N/A
Ganon Location: N/A

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Story Arc: Link learns from Zelda that Ganondorf plots to take the Triforce from the Sacred Realm. He obtains the three Spiritual Stones in an attempt to get the Triforce first. Ganondorf tricks him and takes Triforce first, but it splits. Link takes the Master Sword. Seven years later, Link awakens from his sleep, and awakens the Six Sages, discovering that Zelda is the 7th. He defeats Ganondorf and the sages seal him in the Sacred Realm. Link goes back in time to his original life, before Ganondorf took the Triforce, thus splitting time.
Backstory: Long ago, three goddesses created Hyrule and left behind the sacred Triforce, which would grant the wish of the heart of its owner. The Triforce was hidden in the Sacred Realm, and sought for years.
Triforce Locations: Starts unified in the Sacred Realm; Ends:
Adult Ending:
ToP: Sealed in the Sacred Realm with Ganondorf
ToW: In possession of Zelda
ToC: Shattered due to Link leaving the timeline, hidden in 8 pieces
Child Ending:
Controversial. Possibly split into the possession of Ganondorf, Zelda, Link respectively due to Link bring ToC back to original time, "Divine Prank" caused the other two to split
Master Sword Location: Starts in the Temple of Time; Ends in the Temple of Time, both timelines
Ganondorf Location: Starts as the Gerudo leader in Gerudo Valley; Ends:
Adult Ending: Sealed in the Sacred Realm
Child Ending: As Gerudo leader, presumably sealed in the Twilight Realm

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Story Arc: Link falls into the alternate world of Termina. He unites the four giants, saves the world from the falling moon, and defeats the Skull Kid and Majora's Mask, which convinced him to bring the moon down.
Backstory: Link searched for a loved friend after he saved Hyrule (presumably Navi).
Ganondorf Location: N/A

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons AND The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Story Arc: Twinrova seeks to resurrect Ganon by lighting the Flames of Sorrow and Destruction. Link stops their servants Onox and Veran from destroying the lands of Labrynna and Holodrum. Twinrova then lights the Flame of Despair and attempts to sacrifice Zelda to revive Ganon. Link foils their plot, but they sacrifice themselves, creating a mindless Ganon that Link defeats.
Backstory: Link entered Hyrule Castle, and was warped by the Triforce to the locations of his quests.
Triforce Locations: Starts and ends unified in Hyrule Castle.
Ganon Location: Starts dead; Ends killed by Master Sword

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
Story Arc: Link, split into four by the Four Sword, acquires Silver Keys to enter the palace of the evil sorcerer Vaati and seal him in the Four Sword.
Backstory: An evil sorcerer, Vaati, terrorized Hyrulean villages with his wind powers, kidnapping young girls at each. A boy with the power of the Four Sword, who split into four, defeated Vaati, trapping him in the blade of the sword. When Zelda goes with Link to check on the seal, Vaati takes Zelda and reveals that the seal is broken.
Ganon Location: N/A
Other Artifacts:
Four Sword: Starts and ends in Four Sword Sanctuary

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Story Arc: Link seeks to obtain the Master Sword and the ToC in an ocean that now covers Hyrule, in order to save his sister (later Zelda) and defeat Ganondorf. The King of Hyrule obtains the Triforce before Ganondorf can, and achieves the destruction of Hyrule, and of Ganondorf by Link's hand.
Backstory: Once, there was a hero who traveled through time to defeat Ganondorf and save Hyrule. However, Ganondorf escapes, but the hero has gone. The people prayed to the gods, who sunk Hyrule underwater.
Triforce Locations: Starts:
ToP: In hands of Ganondorf
ToW: Part in hands of Tetra, part in hands of King Daphnes
ToC: Shattered and buried under the waves
Ends: Used by King Daphnes to sink Hyrule, possibly returning to Sacred Realm.
Master Sword Location: Starts without its power in the Temple of Time; Ends flooded under the sea, stuck in Ganondorf's head.
Ganondorf Location: Starts having escaped the Sacred Realm in the Forsaken Fortress; Ends turned into stone, buried underwater.
Other Artifact Locations: N/A

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Story Arc: Link, having pulled the Four Sword and split into four again, saves the 6 maidens from Shadow Link and Vaati, and also recovers the Royal Jewels needed to save Zelda. They defeat Vaati and Ganon, who was using Vaati, and seal him in the Four Sword.
Backstory: Vaati having been a great evil sealed in the Four Sword, Zelda, Link, and the 6 maidens go to check on Vaati's seal, but encounter Shadow Link. Having no weapon, Link draws the Four Sword to vanquish his foe but accidentally frees Vaati.
Ganondorf Location: Starts as a Gerudo, ends sealed in the Four Sword.
Other Artifacts:
Four Sword: Starts and ends in Four Sword Sanctuary

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Story Arc: Link brings the Four Elements to the tiny Minish, who reforge the Picori Blade into the Four Sword. Vaati sought to take the Light Force from Zelda, but Link used the Four Sword to defeat him and seal him within the blade.
Backstory: A festival occurred when the Picori came again to Hyrule; and a stranger named Vaati won all the competitions. He shattered the Picori Blade and freed many monsters, in search of the Light Force.
Other Artifacts:
Picori Blade/White Sword/Four Sword: Starts destroyed by Vaati after sealing the Bound Chest; Ends in Four Sword Sanctuary.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Story Arc: Link and Midna collect the Fused Shadows and reform the Mirror of Twilight to defeat Zant, the king of Twilight who cast Hyrule into the Twilight Realm. They then defeat Ganondorf who was manipulating Zant.
Backstory: An evil man named Ganondorf had been captured, tried, and the sages attempted to execute him. Due to a "divine prank," Ganondorf obtained the ToP and killed the Sage of Water. The other Sages imprisoned him in the Twilight Realm.
Triforce Locations: Starts:
ToP: Given to Ganondorf in a "divine prank"
ToW: Split as a result of divine prank, given to Zelda/Royal Family
ToC: Split as a result of divine prank, in hands of Link
Ends:
ToP: Leaves Ganondorf, presumably goes to Sacred Realm
ToW: In hands of Midna
ToC: In hands of Link
Master Sword Location: Starts in the Lost Woods; Ends in the Lost Woods
Ganondorf Location: Starts sealed in the Twilight Realm; Ends killed by the Master Sword

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Story Arc: Link allies with the Spirits of Power, Wisdom, and Courage and the Ocean King, Oshus, to save Tetra. He forges the Phantom Sword and kills the evil spirit Bellum.
Backstory: The Wind Waker's story.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Story Arc: With the help of Phantom Zelda, Link restores the Spirit Tracks from the Dark Realm and saves New Hyrule.
Backstory: Tetra and Link had found a new land that they called Hyrule. Hundreds of years later, the land was covered with train tracks called the Spirit Tracks. The Demon Train interrupts the order of the Spirit Tracks and Zelda is disembodied.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Story Arc: Link goes to the surface to save Zelda from Ghirahim and his tribe, using the Skyward Sword, which holds a spirit called Phi.
Backstory: N/A
Master Sword/Skyward Sword Location: Starts ???; Ends presumably in the Temple of Time

Now, I begin constructing this timeline. I will start at a common starting point, Ocarina of Time. Then, we know that Majora's Mask follows directly on the CT
-----/
OoT
-----\MM
Now, I deduce from the fact that all the pieces of the puzzle fit to have Wind Waker follow OoT directly on the AT, since everything is in a logical place and the backstory seems to show that there were no heroes between the two games. It should be noted that I believe Ganon to be gone forever due to him being turned into stone and drowned beneath the Great Sea, the Master Sword is also gone forever.
-----/WW
OoT
-----\MM
Then, we have developer and in-game confirmation that Phantom Hourglass is the same Link as in WW, and we have clues in Spirit Tracks that show that it follows PH.
-----/WW/PH--ST
OoT
-----\MM
Next, the backstory of Twilight Princess tells us that there are no other games with Ganondorf in them between OoT and TP.
-----/WW/PH--ST
OoT
-----\MM--TP
And then we can place Skyward Sword at the beginning of the timeline, and we have developer quotes saying that it will lead into the events of OoT and be the first of the released games.
-----------/WW/PH--ST
SS--OoT
-----------\MM--TP
Now, it seems that we are stuck. We have 9 games that we have yet to place: Zelda I, Zelda II, Triforce of the Gods, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, and Minish Cap.
We have immense story and developer confirmation that
MC--FS/FSA is one story arc.
Then we know that TotG is preceded by the Seal War, and we can assume that it is followed by LA. Then, the only place to assume that OoX takes place is between TotG and LA, since the Triforce is unified and Ganon is dead.
So (SW)--TotG/OoX/LA
And we also know that AoL is a direct follower to LoZ.
LoZ/AoL
Now, we have a few holes. We have been confirmed that Ganon can be resurrected in multiple ways, such as by Twinrova or by having Link's blood sprinkled on his remains. So it can be assumed that he could still have been resurrected between OoX and LoZ though he was killed with the Master Sword, just as he could have been resurrected in AoL though having been killed with Silver Arrows. Therefore, no contradictions are inherent about the timeline of
(SW)--TotG/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL
Now, the tricky part is to place them on the main timeline. Some people believe that OoT is the Seal War, but this can no longer be true. Too many contradictions are inherent, such as Ganon taking the full Triforce, being defeated in a massive war after building an army in the Dark World, not one fight with Link after spending little time in the Sacred Realm, and being sealed with the whole Triforce rather than just one piece in the Seal War. FSA can also not be the Seal War, since the Triforce is entirely missing from the story. Clearly, the Seal War must be an entirely different event, and it must start with the Triforce unified in the Sacred Realm and a Ganondorf as a man leading the Gerudos.

Many people believe that this occurs after Twilight Princess, I contend that it is not possible. While it is true that Ganondorf died and could be resurrected after TP, the Triforce seems hopelessly fragmented. The ToP seems likely to have returned to the Sacred Realm, having left Ganondorf, but the ToC remains in the hands of Link and presumably his descendants, and while it still remains possible that it could have been returned to the Sacred Realm, the real problem is the ToW. I believe that Zelda passed it to Midna in TP. This makes sense because her possession of the ToW was what kept Zelda from become a spirit in the Twilight, and so it would make logical sense for the same thing to happen for Midna in the Light World. Also, she says, "Accept this now, Midna, I pass it to you" just before reviving Midna. It also does not seem that Midna passes it back, as she is perfectly able to exist in the Light World in the ending of the game. So, if the ToW goes to the Twilight Realm at the end of TP, now what? It seems that, with the Mirror of Twilight shattered, the ToW cannot return to Hyrule. So we are now left with contradictions in placing TotG on the CT. And with Ganon and the Master Sword lost under the sea, it would definitely not be in the AT.
Now, as for the Four Swords Series, this is an interesting one. It seems that there is no Master Sword or Triforce in this series at all, and Ganon does not appear until FSA, and is given a new origin story. It seems that there is really no valid location on the timeline for the FSS to take place, at least within any relative relation to any other games.

So, our remaining games give us contradictions. So, as Ayn Rand said, contradictions do not exist, if you see what seems to be a contradiction, check your premises. Let's start by checking the premise that every Zelda game will fit in neatly into the overall timeline. Maybe they all don't. An occasionally discussed concept is the Literal Legend Theory. Now, while we have been told that there is a timeline, I think that there is some validity to a Literal Legend theory. Over time, stories resembling fact could have taken place of actual fact, but this is not only what happens in a legend. Things get added to legends as well. Now, we can see that it is quite possible for TotG to follow after FSA, if the Seal War were to occur between the games, and Ganondorf were to be freed from the Four Sword, which is entirely possible; it has been seen before with Vaati. MC, FS, and FSA combined also have a potential to somewhat resemble Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, and, if you think about it, TotG resembles Twilight Princess in some respects (Ganon's return, Light World/Dark World, etc.). Meanwhile, OoX, LA, LoZ, and AoL have simpler stories that could have merely been invented as new legends formed.

Now, if Nintendo releases games that undo contradictions with a singular timeline, I will certainly return to it, but currently, the only timeline that seems reasonable is the following:

---------------------------------/WW/PH--ST
Literal Timeline: SS--OoT
---------------------------------\MM--TP

Legend Timeline: MC--FS/FSA--(SW)--TotG/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm just going to say that ALttP and the games that follow it are most definitely on what you have as the "Literal Timeline", they just can't be placed without the Seal War. The FSS has no accurate place as of now, and I really don't see how that will ever happen without FSA being completely re-written, as Ganon is in it and sealed in the FS, whereas it can't come after TP due to the Dark Mirror (if the "dark interlopers" and Dark Tribe do indeed connect), but can't come before as Ganondorf was sealed in the Twilight Realm. It's impossible on the AT due to Ganondorf being turned into stone in WW and nothing happening in-between OoT and WW, as Link was sent to a separate time of which the two times can't be reached. (OoX is sketchy, but most likely in-between ALttP and LA.) They're really the only ones that need to be separated from the "Literal Timeline" and become a separate legend (imo). Meaning...

............/WW/PH--ST
SS--OoT
............\MM--TP__ALttP/(OoX)/LA--LoZ/AoL

-(?)MC--FS/FSA

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Wait, if LttP follows after TP, how does the Triforce go from being split up into various places and being unified in the Sacred Realm, and how do we go from Ganondorf being dead and there not being any Gerudos to Ganondorf leading the Gerudos to steal the Triforce? This is assuming that the Seal War is a separate event; not OoT.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Wait, if LttP follows after TP, how does the Triforce go from being split up into various places and being unified in the Sacred Realm, and how do we go from Ganondorf being dead and there not being any Gerudos to Ganondorf leading the Gerudos to steal the Triforce? This is assuming that the Seal War is a separate event; not OoT.

I thought you knew how I'd explained that already. Ah, whatever, I'll go with it again. Ganondorf would somehow get the ToP back, which would revive him, the Triforce is later reunited, Ganondorf touches it, the Dark World is made, and then the Seal War happens.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
But if the Triforce of Wisdom is in the Twilight Realm, as I believe, and the Mirror of Twilight has been shattered, it seems impossible to get that back into the Sacred Realm.

Not sure about Triforce issue, but with respect to Ganondorf there are 2 possibilities I see: 1) He never actually died in TP (how? not sure), or 2) The Ganondorf in ALttP is a different person, then the OoT, TP, and WW Ganondorf....maybe he's the next Gerudo male after that Ganondorf and simply took the same name to honor him.

Obviously there is no way for us to know any of these things until Nintendo develops a game showing the Seal War or any other events that come between TP and ALttP.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
I thought you knew how I'd explained that already. Ah, whatever, I'll go with it again. Ganondorf would somehow get the ToP back, which would revive him, the Triforce is later reunited, Ganondorf touches it, the Dark World is made, and then the Seal War happens.

That leaves a pretty huge gap where a lot of things need to happen. While I agree on that eventual progression, I think it unwise to assume it as guaranteed with what we know (or specifically, what we don't know).

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Oh, nonono, I'm not saying it's already there, I'm saying that could be used as a game to connect the two games.

Yes I understand that. My meaning is simply that it is unwise to place it on the timeline conclusively before that series of events happens. I agree that it is a natural progression of events, but as yet it hasn't happened.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
I actually don't use that as an official means to connect them. I just acknowledge that it could be done.

Ok, I can jive with that. I'm curious whether or not this will ever be resolved, as nintendo never seems satisfied with simply filling in gaps without creating new complications.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Now, the tricky part is to place them on the main timeline. Some people believe that OoT is the Seal War, but this can no longer be true. Too many contradictions are inherent, such as Ganon taking the full Triforce, being defeated in a massive war after building an army in the Dark World, not one fight with Link after spending little time in the Sacred Realm, and being sealed with the whole Triforce rather than just one piece in the Seal War. FSA can also not be the Seal War, since the Triforce is entirely missing from the story. Clearly, the Seal War must be an entirely different event, and it must start with the Triforce unified in the Sacred Realm and a Ganondorf as a man leading the Gerudos.
Contradictions or not, OoT was originally developed to tell the story of the SW. To counter your lack of Link argument, the SW tells of the Sages sealing Ganon with the help of the Knights, but Link was added when this event was made into a game. The same thing could be happening with the interloper conflict. Lanayru says the three Light Spirits sealed the interlopers in the Twilight Realm. This is, of course, still in the realm of speculation, but SS seems to be looking to tell that story, and is adding Link because it is now a game.

*insert obligatory "Miyamoto doesn't care about details" quote here* I think a better argument for the separation would be to look at WW, and maybe FSA as well. Since WW conflicts with LttP's original placement, it could be seen as a disregard for the original SW-OoT connection. FSA does this as well, by attempting to replace OoT as the SW story (yet failing even more).

Many people believe that this occurs after Twilight Princess, I contend that it is not possible. While it is true that Ganondorf died and could be resurrected after TP, the Triforce seems hopelessly fragmented. The ToP seems likely to have returned to the Sacred Realm, having left Ganondorf, but the ToC remains in the hands of Link and presumably his descendants, and while it still remains possible that it could have been returned to the Sacred Realm, the real problem is the ToW. I believe that Zelda passed it to Midna in TP. This makes sense because her possession of the ToW was what kept Zelda from become a spirit in the Twilight, and so it would make logical sense for the same thing to happen for Midna in the Light World. Also, she says, "Accept this now, Midna, I pass it to you" just before reviving Midna. It also does not seem that Midna passes it back, as she is perfectly able to exist in the Light World in the ending of the game. So, if the ToW goes to the Twilight Realm at the end of TP, now what? It seems that, with the Mirror of Twilight shattered, the ToW cannot return to Hyrule. So we are now left with contradictions in placing TotG on the CT. And with Ganon and the Master Sword lost under the sea, it would definitely not be in the AT.
I did notice that Zelda gave Midna the ToW, but for some reason it never struck me that it went into the TR with her. I assumed the other two pieces would return to the SR as well. The triforce is an object of balance. It is either whole or split evenly. Zelda in OoT and Ganondorf in TP explain that when one gets one piece, the other two find the most suitable bearers. If the ToP left Ganondorf and returned to the SR, wouldn't the others go as well, so it can be whole? I suppose one could argue that it would break into pieces and scatter itself around Hyrule, since that's what happened to the ToC on the AT. The Triforce progression in TP is annoyingly vague. =/

Now, as for the Four Swords Series, this is an interesting one. It seems that there is no Master Sword or Triforce in this series at all, and Ganon does not appear until FSA, and is given a new origin story. It seems that there is really no valid location on the timeline for the FSS to take place, at least within any relative relation to any other games.
The FSS connects well with LttP as well as ST. Just for a few examples, ST is on a new Hyrule with no Triforce or MS, just like the FSS; ST features Force Gems. The FS appears in GBA LttP; FSA shows how the thieves ended up in the Lost Woods; FSA-LttP shows progression from Sages to Shrine Maidens to Maidens.

So, our remaining games give us contradictions. So, as Ayn Rand said, contradictions do not exist, if you see what seems to be a contradiction, check your premises.
I should have saved the Miyamoto quote for here. Miyamoto just recently admitted that he doesn't like theorists looking too far into the contradictions. It's no fun if the developers have to keep every little detail in mind when connecting the games. Rand may be right for the real world, but you have to use different logic when dealing with fiction.

---

forgot to address this:
But if the Triforce of Wisdom is in the Twilight Realm, as I believe, and the Mirror of Twilight has been shattered, it seems impossible to get that back into the Sacred Realm.
The Triforce can travel freely between the 'light world' and the Sacred Realm, even with a sealed Door of Time (OoT CT), so I don't think a shattered mirror would stop its travel from the TR to the SR.

About your theory in general, I think that's a decent conclusion, though I don't like your reasoning. Here's how I would have done it:

In 2001, we had the following timeline:
OoT-- LttP/OoX/LA -- LoZ/AoL
/MM

WW came in 2002 and made it impossible for LttP to follow OoT, so that section of the timeline was left in limbo. Perhaps as a legend, or merely a retcon.
LttP/OoX/LA -- LoZ/AoL
[foat=left]OoT[/float] -- WW
/MM

FS and FSA came out, and Aonuma said that FS was the "oldest tale." (2004) They have obvious connections to LttP, and as JuicieJ would argue, don't fit on the "Literal" timeline. FSA was created as a new backstory for LttP, replacing OoT, which is now connected to WW. FSA failed as the SW, so we assume that event happens afterward.
FS/FSA -- (SW) -- LttP/OoX/LA -- LoZ/AoL
OoT -- WW
/MM

MC, PH, TP, and ST then came out (2004-2009), easily connected to their respective stories, soon to be followed by SS (2011).
MC -- FS/FSA -- (SW) -- LttP/OoX/LA -- LoZ/AoL
SS -- OoT -- WW/PH -- ST
/MM -- TP

Therefore, I arrive at the same timeline as yours, except instead of through examining contradictions against Miyamoto's desire, I looked at the overall development process. WW left LttP without a prequel, so FSA was created to fill that gap, fleshing out its own timeline. One could chose to believe that this timeline is a "Legend" of the "Literal" one. MC is strikingly similar to SS, FS/FSA/SW to OoT, LttP/OoX/LA to the flood and TP, and LoZ/AoL to WW. <overanalysis>Aonuma did say that FS was the first tale</overanalysis>.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Therefore, I arrive at the same timeline as yours, except instead of through examining contradictions against Miyamoto's desire, I looked at the overall development process. WW left LttP without a prequel, so FSA was created to fill that gap, fleshing out its own timeline. One could chose to believe that this timeline is a "Legend" of the "Literal" one. MC is strikingly similar to SS, FS/FSA/SW to OoT, LttP/OoX/LA to the flood and TP, and LoZ/AoL to WW. <overanalysis>Aonuma did say that FS was the first tale</overanalysis>.

FSA never filled any gap. It was originally planned to be the Seal War, but didn't become so. FS was never actually stated to be first, either. Aonuma just said they considered it one of the earliest.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
"FS is what we're thinking of as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline" were his exact words, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom