• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

4 Reasons to Try Indie Gaming

Ganondork

goo
So recently, a comment in the General Gaming section caught me off guard in a discussion; the poster said something to the effect of, "For an indie game, they put a lot of effort into this." In addition to a comment on Reddit's /r/games that mentioned indie games being filled with gimmicks, I am shocked to see such negative statements about indie gaming in general. I consider myself to be a pretty big indie gamer, having bought 47 indie titles in 6 months, as well as picked up about 10 free ones, and I really love the indie market. If I had more money, I'd be on kickstarter, backing indie devs with great ideas.

So to help get some people to give indie games a second chance, I am going to list my top 4 reasons why indie gaming should be tried by anyone who enjoys gaming. Do be warned that this will be lengthy, but I am trying to be as thorough as possible. Plenty of games will be mentioned, but there will be no spoilers.

Without further ado, let's begin!

1. Variety

A lot of people complain about the AAA industry nowadays, saying that so many games feel exactly the same. A lot of people mention that it's mostly first-person shooters being rehashed year after year, which certainly holds some water. While the big budget producers want to play it safe and send out the same game year in and year out, indie devs can follow their creative passion and make games that they want to make.

Do you want a good puzzle platformer? Look no further than Thomas Was Alone. Narrated by Danny Wallace, who voices Shaun Hastings in the Assassin's Creed franchise. Coupled with his fantastic voice, the writing is superb, as well as the general concept of the game. It's very simple, yet very fun. It takes you on an emotional journey, while putting your mind to the test as you solve each puzzle. That isn't even mentioning the fantastic soundtrack that the game has. I am excited to buy it, and support the up-and-coming composer, David Housden.

Logo-NS-No-Border-180x180.png
How about a great visual novel? Give Dear Esther a try. This game is pretty straightforward; you navigate through the environment - which is beautifully designed - and listen to the protagonist speak. The writing itself is very interesting, as it is riddled with symbolism, allusions, and various other literary devices. It's far more than just something that can be played and put down; you have to really think about the meaning of the game, and what the developers are thinking. The ending is one of the most shocking things I have seen in gaming, and I implore everyone to buy the game for the ending alone.

And those are just two examples. You have the multiplayer First-Person Shooter/Real-Time Strategy game, Natural Selection 2, which relies heavily on teamwork rather than personal skill. You also can play a WWII plane, tank, and warship battle simulator, War Thunder, which is free-to-play, and very fun.

The survival genre has to be one of the most varied parts of the indie scene. If you want a game that puts your trust to the test, as well as skills in survival, look no further than DayZ. If you are interested in a more cartoonish, 2D experience that has a very unique art style, give Don't Starve a try. It has great replay value, and has a lot of mods that make the game even more fun.

I could continue on with this for paragraphs, but these are just small examples. You have humorous titles like The Stanley Parable, and Octodad: Dadliest Catch, and more melancholy titles like To the Moon. Whatever you want from indie gaming, there is most likely going to be a game for it. The sky's the limit with indie games.

2. Fewer Micro transactions​

In an industry full of DLC, season and online passes, and various other ways to extract more money from you, indie gaming comes along with very little of any of that. Most of the games that you buy will have no micro transactions, but not all of them. I will provide a list for the few that I personally own that have micro transactions - excluding soundtracks - as well as list whether they are worth the money or not.

1379650643853s.jpg

The Binding of Isaac - This game has one DLC; Wrath of the Lamb. It adds plenty of new content in this mode, and it's a measly $2.99. I hope to pick it up in the next few weeks. I personally think it is worth the money.

Fun fact: you will most likely get your money back in savings if you end up buying the next installment, The Binding of Isaac Rebirth. The developer is giving a loyalty discount to owners of the original, as he is very grateful that the game is so popular. He had no faith in it doing well at all, because life got in the way, and he ended up releasing what he considers an unfinished product. He absolutely loathes the art style, and hopes to change it in the next installment.

Skullgirls - The game is going to be offering new characters in this fighting game, but will cost you some money. Most of them aren't released yet, as I recall Squigly is the only one that can be bought at the moment. Other characters include Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robofortune. I don't really agree with this practice, so I don't recommend it.

War Thunder - As much as I love War Thunder, I don't always like Gaijin's practices with micro transactions. While the game is in beta, the store is fully functional. You have to pay for single player missions, which is ridiculous. There is also a subscription-based system that gives you more in-game currency and research points with each battle. From what I have seen, it is not really worth the money spent. They also offer "Free" research points which can go towards new vehicles, but you need to also use micro transaction-based currency to be able to use them. I definitely don't recommend spending money on this.

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters - I will make this short and sweet. I absolutely loathe this game's micro transactions. I adore the game otherwise, but it will be heading into the realm of play to win once multiplayer is released. I really don't recommend spending money on this game, as much as I like it.

Scrolls - Mojang's trading card game, Scrolls, is in beta, and, like War Thunder, has a fully functioning shop. Despite this, the game is far from play to win, and it's not a bad idea to put some money into the game if you want some quick cards to add to your deck. I am impartial on this one.

Despite these few indie titles with micro transactions, very few indie titles actually use that financial model. Plenty of games update often, adding in new content well after release. Vladis Story: An Abyssal City is a prime example. While there are a few bad apples on the tree, the good ones certainly outweigh them.

3. Supporting Developers Who Love the Industry​

The gaming industry can be very harsh at times. With game journalists scrounging for every cent they can find, producers paying off said journalists, and plenty of more things behind the scene, it is definitely not a surprise that some people in the industry grow jaded. Yet, in the indie scene, you really see how much people love creating video games.

D5ERPjzcGEk.jpg
My go-to person for an example in this regard is the lead designer of DayZ, Dean Hall. In an AMA on Reddit about three weeks ago, you could tell how much he loved making the game. When asked how he felt about the success of Rust, DayZ's largest competitor at the moment, he said nothing but great things about Rust's designer, Garry Newman. He complimented Gary, calling him talented, and how he had nothing but respect for the man. Meanwhile, King.com - creators of Candy Crush Saga - is at indie company Stoic's throat because their game - The Banner Saga - has the word "Saga" in it. That isn't even mentioning when Bethesda did something similar because Mojang's Scrolls has the word "Scrolls" in it, and thought people would associate it with The Elder Scrolls.

Indie devs truly love the industry, and you can really see that in some of their works. They are very grateful for everyone who supports them during the early phases of the game, the various testers, and everyone who believed in them. I personally like knowing that my money is going to people who care about gaming as a whole, and are trying to make a game that people will want to play. And, the fact is, they really are. Indie gaming is very fun in my opinion, and it makes me happy to know that my money is going to a good cause.

My personal story that I like to recount when talking about indie developers' love for the industry would have to be with the guys over at Refract studios. They are currently making a survival racing game called Distance. I posted on Twitter saying that I was in love with the soundtrack and couldn't wait to pre-order their game. Within six hours, they favorited my tweet, as well as thanked me for supporting them, and hoping that I enjoy their finished product. I pre-ordered the game not even five minutes later because I was so touched by their obvious love for their fans. I don't think Ubisoft has thanked me once for following them blindly down the path to Assassin's Creed's demise as a good series. I gave Ubisoft hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars, and was given no sense of appreciation. I gave Refract Studios $25, and they actually made me feel like a valued customer. That's something I want from a company.

That isn't even taking into consideration that Phil Fish was going to kill himself if Fez wasn't completed. But he's got a few screws loose, so there's that.

4. Quality Games for a Cheap Price​

566496-thomas-was-alone-windows-screenshot-title-screens-300x168.png
With 47 indie games I paid for, 10 free ones, and two that will be added to my Steam library within the next six months, I can say without a doubt that indie games are worth every cent. And why is this, exactly? Because the most expensive indie game I have purchased was $30, and I have already put in about 30 hours into it. I can't say the same for that $130 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Limited Edition I picked up back in October.

With that being said, I would say I have spent roughly $305 on various indie game purchases through Steam sales. Divide that by 47, and it comes out to an average of $6.49 per game. That's pretty good, if you ask me, considering that AAA titles go for $60 when initially released. I pay nearly 1/10 of that when I buy an indie game, and I get almost three times as much play time out of them. I'd say it's well worth the money, and I get a different experience with each passing game.

While quality is very subjective, I think that since some indie games have been receiving a lot of recognition lately, it's safe to assume that some indie games can easily stand toe-to-toe with big budget titles. Just look at Spelunky, and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons; both were considered for Game of the Year in 2013. I believe the former actually won it on a website, but I don't know about the latter.

Now for yet another personal story that I will use to drive my point home! This one is about Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. I picked up the game during the Steam Autumn Sale for $3.74, completely oblivious to the giant hype that was surrounding it. Due to a lack of a controller - the game is hard to control without one - I couldn't really play it until I got a wired Xbox controller for Christmas. So I sat down at noon, controller in hand, and beat the game in four hours.

brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons_1380182342.jpg
Yet it felt longer than that. I finished the game and put the controller down, feeling emotionally drained. I couldn't really explain why, and I just decided it was because I didn't enjoy the game. After a few days, I decided to reconsider why I felt so hollow inside after beating the game. I thought about every step of the game - the evolution of the characters, the fake language invented for the game that replaces regular dialogue, and the general atmosphere of the game all wrapped into a four hour adventure. I realized I loved almost every aspect of the game, and was so hollow inside because it was over. They had put so much in the game; whether it's background things that can cause speculation, the beauty of the environment, or considering the complexity of the game itself.

Very few times had I ever felt so attached to a game before. What shocked me the most though, was that such a short game could captivate me in such a way. I didn't know that it was possible. I'd say it was then that I realized I truly loved indie gaming, and would spend thousands of dollars on that over AAA titles, where I feel like my opinion doesn't matter. It's no surprise that indie developers - who I mentioned earlier value their customers - are so player-friendly. While some people berate early access as means of extracting money from people with an unfinished product, I see it as a way for the developers to get insight from people like you and me. It's a way for them to tweak it in little ways so that people will be more willing to play the game. With indie developers, they care about the quality of their product, and they show it by letting us have a deciding factor in the progression of their games.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the games that let players add content, or even mod the games. Minecraft is a fine example of a game that is very mod-friendly. Many online servers wouldn't be as great as they are if not for player-created mods. Or perhaps consider Don't Starve. There are so many mods for that game - from new characters, to new recipes, to new textures, to more convenient options - that I can't even fathom playing that game vanilla ever again. What people have done to that game is phenomenal, and I love so many of the mods that they have made. Not convinced of the greatness of user-made mods, and the indie developers who support it so much? The developers of Octodad: Dadliest Catch have opened up the level editor that put the game together, and let the public make their own levels. That adds so much more content to an already fun game, and I am stoked to see what people make.

------

Terminus said:
tl;dr Try new things

These are the main reasons why I love indie gaming so much, and think you should too. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my points, as well as points of your own. Make sure to leave a comment!

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
tl;dr Try new things

If I remember correctly, both Portal and Minecraft started as small Indie games, but are now really popular, for obvious reasons.

Also a game that didn't make your list is the excellent FTL: Faster Than Light. It's an excellent rouge-like game with a nice story and near-infinite replay value.

octorok74

TETTAC
All very good points. I have spent some time in Natural Selection 2 and I love it. If I had a better computer I would play it more. I spent most of the time in practice mode as the aliens just to watch the growth spread and take over a station. The attention to that detail amazed me. But you posted a picture for a game you didn't mention, but that I feel deserves great praise for: Thomas Was Alone. That game, that game is top. The concept is simple and the characters are literally just different four sided shapes, but man I felt more emotion and a better connection to those characters then to any other character in any other game. And I'll admit I cried at the end of the game. It was excellently well done and the narration which was done by the guy who played Wheatley in Portal 2, does an astounding job of making the story flow. I love that game so much.

I am a big fan of Indie games. They offer a lot more variety in the gaming world. I mean, there is that cleaning game now where you clean up blood and spent ammo casings. It's like Visera Cleaning or something, but I've several YouTubers play it and they just make a story up describing the character and creating a life for them. It's hilarious. Indie games are just great all around. The only one I don't particularly like is Happy Wars, but even that is still pretty fun.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Oh... only four reasons? Not sold. If it were five reasons, I might've considered trying indie games, but since they're clearly not enough reasons, no dice. Also, indie or not, real humans will buy whatever appeals to them. Not what some list is trying to convince them to do because "yay, indie power!" Loving the industry is not enough reason to be supported. I love the industry, fork that sh*t over, I could use the cash. Also, quality games? I'll be the judge of that.

Ganondork

goo
Terminus said:
Also a game that didn't make your list is the excellent FTL: Faster Than Light. It's an excellent rouge-like game with a nice story and near-infinite replay value.

Interestingly enough, I was going to mention FTL: Faster Than Light, but decided against it because it's been sitting on my wishlist for a month now, and I still know next to nothing about it. The games I chose to talk about are titles I know very well, as I don't want to give incorrect information.

octorok74 said:
But you posted a picture for a game you didn't mention, but that I feel deserves great praise for: Thomas Was Alone. That game, that game is top. The concept is simple and the characters are literally just different four sided shapes, but man I felt more emotion and a better connection to those characters then to any other character in any other game. And I'll admit I cried at the end of the game. It was excellently well done and the narration which was done by the guy who played Wheatley in Portal 2, does an astounding job of making the story flow. I love that game so much.

I actually dedicated a full paragraph to it in the "Variety" section. It's my favorite puzzle platformer, and I would never leave it out when trying to convince people to try indie gaming.

Turo602 said:
Not what some list is trying to convince them to do because "yay, indie power!" Loving the industry is not enough reason to be supported.

I think you entirely ignored most of my points outside of that one section.

I love the industry, fork that sh*t over, I could use the cash.

Make a good game, and I'll give you plenty of money, friend. Hell, I'll back you on Kickstarter or Indiegogo.

Also, quality games? I'll be the judge of that.

Awesome! I implore you to do so; that's the whole point of this thread.

Hanyou

didn't build that
The "Variety" section spoke to me, man. Part of the problem I have with the modern gaming industry at large is that games that appeal to my tastes are no longer very mainstream. For the most part, they've found a home on handhelds, but big-budget titles simply aren't that interesting in my book.

This is why indie gaming has become so important to me. Cave Story* is easily one of the best games I have ever played (unfortunately, I've never finished it--I always end up losing my save file for some stupid reason). It feels sort of like a mesh of 8- and 16-bit games, but it also has its own unique identity and none of the conceit that modern AAA games have. It's not trying to be a movie; it uses its status as a game to tell an awesome, often tragic story, but manages to be tons of fun in the process and keeps the focus on the gameplay.

The great thing about indie games is that no matter what you like, there's probably a quality game that caters to your tastes. Since the industry at large can tend to be rather one-note outside of handhelds, this should be welcome by gamers everywhere.

*I'm surprised you left this one out of all your sections! It's definitely one of the more important indie games in recent years. Nothing personal, though; you still have a pretty good list!

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think you entirely ignored most of my points outside of that one section.

No, because I already debunked most of your points. Telling us to try indie games because so and so is just dumb. Anyone who is anyone will play whatever the hell they want. Indie or not. You act as if variety is automatically a good thing. If it's good, it's good, being different isn't gonna make me jump on the indie dick.

Make a good game, and I'll give you plenty of money, friend. Hell, I'll back you on Kickstarter or Indiegogo.

But I love the industry.

Awesome! I implore you to do so; that's the whole point of this thread.

And none of your points are a factor in this. I'm not gonna try an indie game because reason number 1,2,3, and 4. I'll try it if it speaks to me, just like any other game.

Fig

The Altruist
Honestly, I never was able to get into Indie games simply because of two reasons:

1. I don't have the cash despite how easily affordable they are.
2. I really don't know where to look/start for that matter.

Thus whenever a friend of mine lets me play one of their Indie games, I immediately look forward to it as I always heard a tremendous amount of positive feedback when it comes to Indie games. Hopefully this year I can start investing on a collection of Indie games. Speaking of Indie games, I can't wait for The Girl and the Robot! ^^

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well... to be fair... online passes are dead. Since EA's latest scheme in their war against used games (coercing Microsoft and Sony to actively block used games on their next-gen consoles) blew up in their face spectacularly, they were forced to commit to abandoning the Online Pass System, which they had retired because they were expecting a much more powerful replacement. So online passes are dead and gone. And... not all DLC is bad. Expanding your game is a common thing that's been done for decades. I'm always puzzled about why people think it's some kind of knew money-grabbing scheme. It's not. It's been around for as long as games have. It just hasn't been in this easily available form before. And it's not the principle of DLC you have a problem with anyway, it's when it's clearly and blatantly abused. Like on-disk DLC, and DLC that was content removed from the game prior to launch to make the deadline instead of delaying it. No one has any real, logical, supportable reason against DLC that is truly new content that is fairly priced for what you get. Season passes, yeah, those I think are a bit obnoxious. But they tend to be put into rather shallow games anyway.

I haven't really found any indie games made recently that I could say I really, truly enjoyed though. They certainly can be good. But I haven't found any that I thought were any good. But there are some older once for PC that I like, all freeware. Some you probably never heard of like Solar Wars, The Nebula Throne, and Imperial Conquest 2. And some are indie remakes of non-indie ones you may have heard of: an amazing indie remake the 90s class Transport Tycoon Deluxe (by Microprose): OpenTTD -- Which I highly recommend, a fun indie remake of Millennium- Return to Earth (which I know you never heard of), and I'm about to try an indie remake of another Microprose 90s classic, Colonization (a lesser known cousin to the very well known Civilization series), called FreeCol. I haven't been able to get Solar Wars to run on modern operating systems, but I think TNT and IC2 work fine. And those two remakes should work. Those are the ones that stand out to me. I have a bunch of others on my various old computers. But most modern ones just don't click with me.

Well... to be fair... online passes are dead. Since EA's latest scheme in their war against used games (coercing Microsoft and Sony to actively block used games on their next-gen consoles) blew up in their face spectacularly, they were forced to commit to abandoning the Online Pass System, which they had retired because they were expecting a much more powerful replacement.
The best solution to the issue of used games was proposed by Nintendo. Nintendo was asked about it and the answer was roughly:
"We will keep making games so good that no one wants to sell them".
And in a way this is true. As all the good Nintendo games (even from older systems) are harder to get and still fetch a premium price.

The indie world in my opinion is as tough to crack as the major dev world as a gamer. You have just as much risk with a indie as a major company. Many indie games stink but a lot of them are great. On the other hand many major dev company games suck. The new Sim City (unfortunately) is a good example of this. You need to do your research on all games you want to buy.

A good place to start is the humble indie bundles. You can get a lot of quantity for pretty good prices there.

My favourite indie (or smaller company games) are:
Samarost/Samarost2/machinarium/botinacular (all by the same people)
Crayon Physics
Braid
Edge
Limbo
The Super Collapse games
Tasty Planet 1-2
Trine 1-2
Back To The Future Parts 1-5
Monkey Island parts 1-5 (I won't say the original Monkey Island games as Lucas Arts was huge in it's day but made great games
Lost Winds 1-2
VVVVVV

Ganondork

goo
Turo602 said:
No, because I already debunked most of your points.

Doesn't look like that at all, really.

Telling us to try indie games because so and so is just dumb.

I too dislike being given reasons to try new things.

You act as if variety is automatically a good thing.

I'd rather have variety than the same thing year after year, as well as a small selection of games that deviate from a similar money-making formula. I like being able to say, "Hey, I'd like to play a good puzzle platformer," then start playing Nihilumbra. Then when I'm tired of that, I can say, "Now I'm in the mood for a good survival game," so I pick up Don't Starve. After that, I decide, "Hey, I really want to play a good roguelike title," so I play The Binding of Isaac. Must be nice on your high horse with all of those bland AAA titles.

You act like I am forcing you to play indie games. The thread title says to "Try."

But I love the industry.

And they have a product to sell me. You don't.

And none of your points are a factor in this.

Today I learned that support reasons don't factor into a main point. If I structured this like a persuasive essay, it would convey my point just fine. Apparently listing reasons numerically takes that capability away? The more you know.

Fig said:
2. I really don't know where to look/start for that matter.

Look for a genre that interests you, then look for the indie games in that genre. Steam can separate by genre, and I'm pretty sure looking up, "x genre indie games" will yield decent results.

Matt said:
Expanding your game is a common thing that's been done for decades. I'm always puzzled about why people think it's some kind of knew money-grabbing scheme. It's not. It's been around for as long as games have.

You're right. Adding a new section to the game isn't new, but paying $9.99 for a new Batman skin in Arkham City is. Assassin's Creed III gave you the option to unlock everything in multiplayer for $9.99, as well. Do I think Oblivion had great DLC? You bet. But Bethesda isn't the majority. EA and Ubisoft are the main culprits of bad DLC, and my examples of bad AAA games came from them.

But they tend to be put into rather shallow games anyway.

Wouldn't call Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us shallow.

Some you probably never heard of like ... Imperial Conquest 2.

Heard of it. You can get off your high horse now.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Doesn't look like that at all, really.

Look closer.

I'd rather have variety than the same thing year after year, as well as a small selection of games that deviate from a similar money-making formula. I like being able to say, "Hey, I'd like to play a good puzzle platformer," then start playing Nihilumbra. Then when I'm tired of that, I can say, "Now I'm in the mood for a good survival game," so I pick up Don't Starve. After that, I decide, "Hey, I really want to play a good roguelike title," so I play The Binding of Isaac. Must be nice on your high horse with all of those bland AAA titles.

Wow... LMFAO! You clearly know nothing about video games. If you seriously think there isn't enough variety in the "mainstream" then you obviously haven't played enough video games. I bet you think Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are the only two games on the market... The last generation has been long, so we haven't gotten many new ideas in the recent years, but you have to be a ******* to think that we haven't gotten enough unique IPs or quality games to satisfy an avid gamer. Different isn't always good, just different. Execution is what truly matters because even old ideas can go long ways with the perfect execution. Also, naming off genres and lame video games doesn't give the illusion of a point in the slightest.

You act like I am forcing you to play indie games. The thread title says to "Try."

I understand your point, but it's very generic. I'm not saying I won't try an indie game, I'm just saying it's stupid to list off a few poor reasons like it means anything. If I see a video game that interests me, indie or not, I'm gonna play it. Plain and simple. I don't give two ***** whether or not the creator loves the industry or if you think it offers variety. In the end, whatever appeals to me is going to appeal to me. Being different has never been a good enough reason for anyone to try anything.

And they have a product to sell me. You don't.

How do you know? You don't know what I have lying in my garage. I love the industry and I got a load of meth up for sale. It's a product, but hey, I love the industry.

Today I learned that support reasons don't factor into a main point. If I structured this like a persuasive essay, it would convey my point just fine. Apparently listing reasons numerically takes that capability away? The more you know.

Today I learned that Keith needs to stay in school.

Also, I'm very disappointed in you... how did you miss the sarcasm in my original post? Now look what you done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom