• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS- Your Thoughts

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I got my own 3DS yesterday. Yet, I am a little dissapointed. When looking and turning on the system, it reminded me of a potable Wii. I was hoping for something new, but at least it still holds its charm for me. When playing, the 3D of the screen may take some time to get used to. But, it is not painful unless you hold it right in front of your face. But, the 3D level can be changed on the side of the screen for gamers who need more time to adjust to it. The design is well planned out, and I liked the idea of a home button. Like all gaming devices, it has its minor quirks, like the bulkiness of it, but it still worth the money. And, it will be even more fun when OoT comes out for it. So what do you think about the 3D?:huh:

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I haven't bought mine yet (I'm waiting for OoT 3d). But, while playing it at Gamestop I was very impressed with the 3D and the controls. I can't even wait for OoT on it!

jugglaj91

I am me....
Funny that you mention bulkiness. I font it to be about the same size as previous DS's. I believe it only a couple of millimeters thicker than a DSi. Overall I find that the system fits well in my hands and using the circle pad enables me to enjoy much longer gaming sessions on older DS titles that would hurt by using the D-Pad.

I can't really add much to the discussion, unfortunately... don't have a 3DS, nor do I have the money to lavishly splash on one... I hate having to pay bills and rent sometimes :P

But yeah, I was a little concerned about the advert/commercial that was on TV for the 3DS that shows people playing it and they seem as if they've never had a better time doing anything ever... like it seems such a ridiculously over the top reaction to playing a hand held games console. I can't help but think, surely its not that good, is it? I only know one person who has one and she said that it actually is that good.

Will keep my eye on this thread to see what the general opinion is ;)

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I got mine the day it came out and I LOVE IT! It adds depth with the 3D, not like popping out at your face. I was disappointed by the launch titles; I only got Nintendogs + Cats and it's getting kind of boring, but I can't wait for OoT3D! All around I think the 3DS is really good, but it needs the updates and new first party-published games.

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
I'm probably gonna get mowed down for this, but I think the 3DS is a waste of money, same as all the other DS advancements. They play the same games and only the 3DS has new games. All they are is the same model with a few added quirks (sp). I don't really like any system like that.

I'm probably gonna get mowed down for this, but I think the 3DS is a waste of money, same as all the other DS advancements. They play the same games and only the 3DS has new games. All they are is the same model with a few added quirks (sp). I don't really like any system like that.

Haha loving this.

I'm of the opinion that anything post-DS Lite was pointless. As far as I'm aware, the DS and DS Lite were practically identical bar a few hardware upgrades. After the DS Lite was the DSi... no GBA slot. That's what put me off it. They released an upgrade that could play less games. And I thought the camera was fairly pointless too. Which is why the only DS I've ever had is a DS Lite.

I might be tempted to get the 3DS because I can imagine there will be some exclusive 3DS releases in the future.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, it looks like a good system, but I think I'm going to wait until the enhanced version of OoT comes out before I purchase it. That's the title I really wanted, and I hoped it would launch with the system... I mean, come on, it's a graphical remake. How long does it take to develop that?

The problem is the same one I've encountered with the Nintendo 64... there aren't enough games for it that appeal to me. Most of my favorite games on the horizon are DS games... so I'm going to stick with the DSi a little while longer. Especially considering the price of $250, which is a little steep for me right now. I may actually end up buying a used DS Lite so that I can play GBA games on a backlit screen, and trade between the GBA/DS Pokemon games. I have a whole bunch of GBA games.

I'm hoping the 3D doesn't have a bad effect on me or hurt my eyes, but if it does... I can just turn it off and play the system like a traditional 3D console on a 2D screen. That's reassuring.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
The system over all is amazing, definatly worth spending the £230 (or whatever it is in the US) on it. But the one thing that amazed me the most, was the fact that you can play ds games with the circle pad! I went on mario 64 ds and the precision is awesome!!! And I got street fighter with it and it is amazing! If anyone else has it and wants a fight, check out the friend code thread for my 3DS and we can arrange it...

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The system over all is amazing, definatly worth spending the £230 (or whatever it is in the US) on it. But the one thing that amazed me the most, was the fact that you can play ds games with the circle pad! I went on mario 64 ds and the precision is awesome!!! And I got street fighter with it and it is amazing! If anyone else has it and wants a fight, check out the friend code thread for my 3DS and we can arrange it...

Wow, it was worth that much money to you? And I can't even spare $250... which is only about 154 GBP. I can't imagine how they sell those things in the UK, at nearly $375! It's hard to believe that people pay that much for it. It seems like it would actually be cheaper to import the system and any games you wanted from the US, even with shipping costs.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I don't have one, nor will I get one anytime in the near future. They're so expensive, and from I can see, none of the games out right now look very interesting to me. Perhaps in a few years when (if) the price drops and more games out. I don't even play my DS Lite a whole lot, so, really, it would not be worth the money for me.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I just got mine yesterday. It was better than I thought. Unfortunately my eyes can't handle the 3D that well, at least not yet (I might get used to it later and adjust), but even with it off it's amazing. It was worth the price. It doesn't even have all the planned features yet and it's still a lot of fun anyway. I don't know if it's just me or not, but DS games looked better played on the 3DS than they did on a DS. The menu is absolutely amazing, very flexible and user-friendly. And the global friend code for all 3DS games is excellent. It was far better than I expected it to be. It even comes with a 2 GB SD card already inside it! And DS games will be flush with the system since the 3DS and DS cartridges are almost identical in size, save for a small tab on the side of a 3DS cartridge to prevent it from fitting into a DS system.
I highly recommend getting one of these systems, you won't be disappointed.

I bought a 3DS two days ago, and I must say, it is pretty impressive. It has a lot of stuff built into it already, and there are going to be downloadable system updates later for even more stuff (can't wait for the shop channel, personally). The 3D isn't a huge deal, in my opinion: I mean, it does give a good impression of depth, but I don't see it making a huge difference in actual games. Maybe it'll be handy for Mario or something, but it seems to be more of an added gimmick to me. Of course, I didn't buy any 3DS games for it yet, so maybe my opinion will change later.
All in all, I think it has a lot of potential for some really good games. I can't wait for a Mario, or a brand-new Zelda (as cool as OoT 3D is going to be, I'd prefer a new one). Heck, maybe we'll get a few totally new, awesome series'. Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom