• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[3DS] What is the 3D Effect Supposed to Do?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Okay this is confusing me, in some quotes regarding stereoscopic 3D, developers claim that images are supposed to "pop out" at the player when viewing at the optimal angle. Well, that never happens to me. All I see is the foreground images (e.g character portraits or ingame menus) almost "superimposed" onto background images, and that results in pain/strain in my eyes. Is that normal? Is that was the 3D is supposed to do - just have images superimposed onto background?

I've always just thought 3D nowadays was like looking into a layered hole. Its never 'came out at me' it always looks like its going in on itself, and yes, it slays my eyes too =[

And most of the time it isn't worth it becuase of the ghosting even at the optimum angle, dammit OoT at night!

Last edited:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I wouldn't say pop out so much as create depth, make it look like you are actually viewing a scene with depth of vision instead of just a flat image. I guess you could call it a "layered hole" but then again, isn't that what viewing reality is?

I've never had ghosting problems though, it's not that hard to get the right range of viewing angles in my experience.

Dan

I wouldn't say pop out so much as create depth, make it look like you are actually viewing a scene with depth of vision instead of just a flat image. I guess you could call it a "layered hole" but then again, isn't that what viewing reality is?

I've never had ghosting problems though, it's not that hard to get the right range of viewing angles in my experience.

Yeah pretty much all that. It just increases depth and what not. You can see distance a lot easier too. It's quite nice but I can't be bothered to keep it on in most games, plus it drains the battery and has the potential to lower your precious frames per second, depending on game.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I've found 3d only hurts my eyes when games do try to pop out. I get headaches when games try to fill the space between the ds and my eyes.

I can usually play for extended periods with the 3d on because games usually have 3d like looking through a window.
I have the least trouble finding the sweet spot when I try to look through the screen not at it. If I look at it, I find it difficult to get the 3d to work correctly.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's more to create a field of depth than anything. When most people think of 3D, they think of the red and blue glasses kind where the only thing possible is to have stuff pop out at you. Digital 3D does so much more than that, and while it can have stuff pop out at you, that's not the name of its game. It's honestly more of a side-feature.

As for the "foreground images", this is part of the technology. The 3DS literally splits the image on-screen via some sort of lighting magicks, causing your eyes to have to adjust (which causes eye strain for some). This is what creates the 3D effect, as your eyes are now seeing the on-screen image from two different angles. When the background of an area is dark, this is evident, as it's possible to see translucent images of objects to the rights and lefts of them. Depending on how high you have the 3D effect amped up will depend on how far to the sides they are. I'm not quite sure why it takes dark surfaces to see this -- or why it's visible at all -- but that's what I've observed with my time on the 3DS. Didn't take much observation, really. I noticed it pretty quickly when I played through OoT 3D for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom