• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS: Too Many 3D Remakes?

I was recently thinking that the 3DS has a lot more remakes (or at least it seems like it) than previous Nintendo handhelds. It seems that Nintendo went the Sony route by remaking former console successes on its handheld with the addition of stereoscopic 3D. Off the top of my head, there's Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, and soon to be Majora's Mask 3D. There have been third party remakes too, such as Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. To top that off, not only Nintendo, but also Sega have developed a number of 3D Classics.

While the 3DS certainly has a lot of great original experiences, it's also extensively used remakes as a crutch. It goes to show that Nintendo has marketed a remake as the biggest 3DS release of the first quarter of the year.

Do you think the 3DS has fallen victim to too many remakes or is the pace of remakes acceptable? Nearly four years into the generation, are there any more stereoscopic 3D remakes you want to see?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Nope, because unlike the Wii U, the 3DS is consistently pumping out great non remakes. Pokemon X and Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Mario Kart 7, ALBW, Smash Bros.

I have no complaints.

Nope, because unlike the Wii U, the 3DS is consistently pumping out great non remakes. Pokemon X and Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Mario Kart 7, ALBW, Smash Bros.

I have no complaints.

The 3DS is my favorite handheld, so I definitely agree that it has a lot of great original games. But the Wii U does too. 2013 had a few bright lights for the system with Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World. 2014 really picked up the steam with the release of Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash Bros. The Wii U's biggest problem is the lack of Innovation inlong-standing franchises and no game truly showing why the Gamepad is more than a second screen convenience.

Well there are currently over 600 games on the 3DS and about 10-15 of them are actual remakes. That's not really an awful lot, considering that the DS has almost double the amount of remakes. After Majora's Mask 3D, I don't really have any desire for more remakes on the 3DS, but if they make them, I won't have an issue. There are tons of original titles on the 3DS compared to remakes, as long as it remains that way, it doesn't really matter if more remakes are one the way.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

I have no complaints.
so when we're not remaking,we're rehashing...kewl
(guys try not to get defensive,this is just a joke...somewhat)

well the gba had its fair share of remakes
the mario advance line,dk country trilogy,metroid zero mission,link to the past

hm..then again,i guess those are more so ports than remakes [except zero mission]

I don't think so frankly. Nintendo is a company, they like to make money pumping out remakes to get people to buy inbetween new games their making is a-ok with me. plus I missed out on the whole n64-gamecube era so people like me get to experience them as new games

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I see no issues with remakes as long as there are enough quality original titles on the console as well and the 3DS is not really lacking in that department. Remakes aren't hurting the console, just making another game more accessible for us. That's a good thing in my opinion.

I think this is to the detriment of the WiiU. All the 3DS remakes are taking manpower away from new games or remakes for the WiiU. Sure we had WWHD but I reckon all these remakes for the 3DS should be on the WiiU also. Even if it was just on the eShop. I know I'd buy MM and Ocarina on the WiiU.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I think this is to the detriment of the WiiU. All the 3DS remakes are taking manpower away from new games or remakes for the WiiU. Sure we had WWHD but I reckon all these remakes for the 3DS should be on the WiiU also. Even if it was just on the eShop. I know I'd buy MM and Ocarina on the WiiU.
I think they've realized at this point that the 3DS is simply going to make them more money. They even dual released Smash Bros. which has always been home console only. Aside from games that the 3DS literally cannot handle (like Zelda U), I think they will focus mostly on the 3DS at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom