• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS or Vita

3ds or vita

• 3DS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vita

• Undecided

• Total voters

Salem

SICK
Couldn't agree with this more. Maybe it's just an opinion, but I really do think that hardware is irrelevant. Which is why 3DS will always win because software >>>>> hardware for gaming.
Maybe hardware itself isn't THAT important, but good hardware can potentially attract some of the biggest and best developers.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What? Have you seen the 3D effect in games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8? It looks perfect and even enhances the visuals by improving judgement of how far away things are.

As I said, nothing new. The 3DS did not invent 3D. And what I meant by "even when done properly" was referring to true 3D, which I've done on a PC, my friend's 580. And I didn't like it then so the 3DS' 3D, which is just that done worse to be glasses-free, didn't change anything bar giving me a headache.

And once again, that's an opinion. :rolleyes:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'M BRINGING BACK THE MEGA POAST!!1!

3DS, and for multiple reasons. Obviously their libraries is one of them, but that's too easy of a shot to take. It goes beyond this into the tech. Vita is the more powerful of the two, no doubt about it, so don't think I'm claiming that the 3DS is graphically superior. The Vita also has more options/features available for use than the 3DS on paper... but that's just on paper, and as we should all know by now, "on paper" means ****.

t1larg_nintendo_3ds_gi.jpg
The 3DS, like the DS, has two screens in plain sight, the bottom of which is a touch screen, which easily allows for dynamics to be created between them. The action can take place on either screen, and any auxiliary things, like the HUD, maps, inventory, etc., can be placed on the other (within reason). More often than not, these things are on the touch screen, which is perfectly fine, since it's convenient to use in standard/traditional control design.

Since the touch screen isn't far away from the face buttons & control pads and isn't extremely wide, it's easy to reach your thumb over to tap on icons and such. Ocarina of Time 3D has shown the benefits of this. Things can also transfer from screen to screen, as seen with certain Reality Shifts in Kingdom Hearts 3D. Since both screens are in plain sight, there's no hassle involved when this feature is taken advantage of. It's quick and seamless, as well as clever when executed well.

The Circle Pad and D-pad are also well-placed and easy to use. The D-pad certainly isn't comfortable to use as a main method of movement (Kid Icarus: Uprising), but it's great for using as a hot key (Resident Evil: Revelations). The Circle Pad, on the other hand, is very comfortable and relatively easy to grip, since it has a small groove to support the curve in your thumb. The touch screen is also pinpoint accurate (and a stylus is available for use), so whenever it's used for controlling things, no worries about calibration. All in all, the control methods are tight.

Then there's the 3D. Gotta say, not really a game-changer, but it's quite nice. It can definitely help enhance immersion when programmed right, as shown in Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. Definitely can't wait to see it in A Link Between Worlds.

Now onto the Vita.

The Vita... well... its own supposed advantages over the 3DS are actually its downfalls. Not to say the Vita is bad, it's just underwhelming. All of it's "new" features are either pointless or slightly cumbersome.

For starters, there's the touch screen/touch pad combo. The touch screen is the screen on the front, and the touch pad is the pad on the back (YOU DON'T SAY!). This can be rather irritating at times. It's a neat idea, having touch features on both the front and back of a handheld, but basically the entire back of the Vita is touch-based. It's often used to emulate triggers and such, but the problem there is we need to GRIP the Vita to hold it, and doing so can cause certain actions that we don't want to be performed at certain times to be performed. Direct inputs on the touch pad can also be used to affect things on the touch screen, kind of like the transitioning between screens on the 3DS, but since we can't SEE the touch pad, it's difficult to use this function with accuracy.

There's also no actual second SCREEN involved, which is very limited in comparison to the 3DS. The touch pad is an attempt to emulate a second screen while not being a legit design rip-off (hilarious, since the redesigned Vita looks a lot like the Wii U GamePad), but, again, dat thing has problems. The touch screen does have multi-touch, but really, who gives a crap about multi-touch when it comes to gaming? How could it possibly provide any tactical advantage? It's a useless feature for the Vita. There's also no stylus to use on the touch screen.

machinarium_vita_touch.jpg
The analog controls are also rather bizarre. One of the things I've never liked about the DualShock is the lack of grooves on the analog sticks. The DualShock 4 has thankfully fixed that, but GUESS WHAT, the Vita didn't. On top of that, they're so small. I wasn't expecting them to be large, nor am I asking them to be, I'm just saying it's like they're designed for the hands of a child. The fact that they have to remain as close to the surface of the Vita as possible makes them kind of awkward to use, as well. They don't slide like the Circle Pad does because they're analog, and analog is designed to be used with lengthy sticks (relative to the device's size).

Really, though, I think when you get right down to it, the software DOES have to be brought up to some extent. I'm not going to bring up the libraries, though. Again, that's too easy of a shot. Instead, I'm going to point out what makes the 3DS's games so much more appealing than the Vita's.

The main reason the 3DS is thriving (outside of having a stellar library) is the way its games are made. They're designed to play like, and follow me on this... handheld games should be. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Well, apparently not, because no one developing for the Vita realizes this. Every Vita game worth playing is very console-esque, and that's a bad thing. Why? Because that defeats the purpose of the Vita being a handheld.

Handheld gaming has always been crafted in such a way as to be enjoyed in short bursts, in a "pick-up-and-play" style -- the polar opposite of console gaming. The Vita has abandoned this, and it's turned many people off to the idea of buying it. Very few people want to play console-esque games on their handheld, plain and simple -- and it's not only because they want to play handheld games in short bursts. There's also the fact that they know it's never going to be as good as an ACTUAL console game. It's just imitation. It's like choosing a Chinese gun over an American one. (I do think the Vita TV could use this to its advantage, though.)

I think that's one of the reasons why it's a good thing that the 3DS DOESN'T have two Circle Pads. All that would do is entice developers to try to make (6th Generation) console-like experiences on the damn thing. Again, the 3DS is thriving because its games are designed with the handheld gaming style in mind, and no doubt the one Circle Pad "limitation" is helping that happen.

Now, you can bring up REvelations, KH3D, and Pokemon X&Y as being console-esque all you want. The fact of the matter is the former two games still had that "pick-up-and-play" feel to them due to their chapters being relatively short and being designed as to allow stopping at virtually any time no hassle (frequent saves in REvelations, Dropping in KH3D), and considering X&Y will simply be transitioning the top-down formula into a 3D space, I don't see it being much different in that regard, if at all.

Well, that took much longer to type out than it should have, but I wanted to make sure I got everything the way I wanted it to be and that I didn't have any excess/unnecessary text. ...And some distractions from the Chatbox Shoutbox. But, anyway, these are the reasons I feel the 3DS is vastly superior to the PS Vita. No disrespect to the latter -- it's a good handheld, especially in theory -- but it just has some design flaws, both inherently and externally. The 3DS is pretty much the ideal handheld, the pinnacle of its market, the culmination everything that has made every previous Nintendo handhelds so great... or, at least for now. No doubt there will come a time where it will have run its course and need to hand the baton to another handheld, which will most likely be the NEXT ideal handheld. I mean, come on, it's been like that with every previous one, amirite?

DSC05207_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Last edited:
I have a PSP and I had the option to get the Vita instead when it came out. I don't like having my entire game library rely on an SD card. MEMORY, that's fine. But I am uncomfortable being forced to have all my games be digital copies. Generally I would only get a digital copy if I were unable to play the cartridge game due to lack of hardware or I do not think I would be able to find good quality hardware at less-than-collectible-made-of-gold prices. For example, I have no qualms about getting GB, NES or NSES games digitally because I do not have those systems and the copies are cheap, so it's not a huge deal if I lose the data. But when ALL the games are digital, like with the Vita, I'm screwed. It is possible that the PSN will keep track of my stuff, but there is no guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom