• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3D Zelda II: What Would You Change?

Sometimes I really think I would love to see Zelda II remastered into 3D. This Hyrule is huge, there's plenty of things to find, lots of villages and people to interact with and some truly great bosses and dungeons.

But what would be changed?

Personally I don't want themed dungeons. I don't wanna see Parappa turned into another Desert Dungeon for example.

I like them as they are, just upgrade them to 3D.

But do give us a map at least. I mean I know them really well, but in 3D games, I get turned around and confused sometimes. :s

Yes, I would absolutely keep the leveling system, people are always *****ing and moaning that Zelda is too easy these days and they want a challenge.

The leveling system in Zelda II, for all people whine about it, is very fair. Your given enemies with the appropriate amount of strength and points for each area, its not hard to level up for the palace your headed too the increments between the next level is just right. Plus there's the occasional P-Bag they drop and those just hanging out in specific places here and there.

Don't believe me when I say its fair? Go play Zelda II and Dragon Warrior or Castlevania II one after the other. One doesn't give you nearly enough points and the other doesn't bother telling you how much you'll need, or what level your at.

I am not sure how a 3D would handle monster encounters in the overworld of the Zelda II variety. I would love to hear peoples ideas for that. Maybe the ghostly shadows can be akin to Okami's demon scrolls? Or should they just free roam?

I do want the magic meter kept, because just like how MM replaces most of your traditional items with masks, Zelda II replaces your traditional items with spells and utility items.

The spells aren't a bad system, you can use most of them anywhere. What I would change is being able to chop some plants in the Overworld to get more magic bottles and maybe have more Wizzrobes for Reflect.

Also yes, we do want the Life and Magic Ladies in the villages.

Should there be a day and night system?

Should we add rupees? I really don't know. We don't need them for anything, the hammer opens up the boulders, so no need for bombs and we don't have a bow so no arrows.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on rupees. Maybe make the Life Lady's place an Inn?

Should the NPCs have different clothing and some of them say different things?

How would we handle swimming? Maybe the inland bodies of water are magically cursed to harm people as part of Ganon's wrath before he died. Which is why rising bubbles hurt you? Like they're acid? Would explain the bago-bagos.

How would we handle the fight with Barba? (Really don't want another whack-a-mole if it can be avoided.)

What about the obnoxiously disjointed rooms in the Great Palace?

Come join in the discussion fellow Zelda II enthusiasts!

Last edited:

Crono

Hylian Rebel
It would be amazing to see that Hyrule brought to life into 3D. And yes it's been quite a while since the Zelda series gave you harder enemies in the overworld as you progressed through the game into new unexplored areas. As for themed dungeons, the palaces were themed so that will have to stay.

It would be amazing to see that Hyrule brought to life into 3D. And yes it's been quite a while since the Zelda series gave you harder enemies in the overworld as you progressed through the game into new unexplored areas. As for themed dungeons, the palaces were themed so that will have to stay.

They were color themed and the Great Palace is an obnoxious maze, but I wouldn't say they were themed in terms of puzzles and environment.

Djinn

and Tonic
Considering how you fight bosses, Darknuts, Stalfos and human shaped enemies in general a 3D remake would be an amazing upgrade to playability. Plus it would give you a lot more freedom to play around with exploring using the jump and fairy spells.

Also the largest expansive Hyrule to appear in the series would be a lot more interesting on a 3D plane. Maze Island would still suck.

No, I know that, I mean, for example Parappa Palace was in the desert, but didn't have elements like quicksand on the inside like you'd find in the Sand Palace and Arbiters Grounds.

I would love to have some cutscenes, like the intro's Star Wars-esque scrolling prologue being replaced with the cutscene from the booklet, Link goes to Impa about the mark on his arm, we see what happens to the other Zelda in a flashback, he gets the crystals and scroll and then the game starts as we leave North Palace.

Would also like minor cutscenes for the different areas, towns and dungeons when we enter for the first time. Have cutscenes for more important quests such as the sick daughter, maybe the kidnapped child can show a bunch of Lizard Men ransacking tye town, while the villagers try to drive them out and the leader grabs the child. The bosses need brief cutscenes and of course, Shadow Link and the ending/credits.

Keep the magic container, ditch the extra lives system.

Should we have save statues or save whenever you want?

Should we add more then the standard two sword moves to make combat more exciting? I say definitely!

How would we handle the hidden areas like Bagu's house and New Kasuto?

Keep Death Mountain as right, down, right down

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
Considering how majority of games have ditched the extra lives system for save points already I would assume nearly any game would have it. Extra lives were a holdover from the arcade days when a quarter got you at least three tries before having to feed more money into the machine. The second home video gaming became the dominant format save states, memory cards, and on board batteries became the norm. More so in the era of the computer game becoming mainstream.

I have wanted an update to Zelda II for years. I was mostly wanting a Mario All Stars/Advance style update with better graphics, some voices, control upgrades, and a few tweaks here and there like bosses added, or a character is changed out for a more series familiar one. This would mean 2D is maintained but with 16 or 32 bit graphics and a fix for those old annoying things like too much sliding, jumps being handled badly by the cpu, or completely broken/half translated dialog. I would expect all new text for nearly everyone in the game, and some more that actually informs you on where to go or what to do. Maybe an inclusion of the ALTTP/OoT style fortune tellers that tell you where to go next if you pay. The game has no monetary system so I do not think it would need to be added. Since you do not use items in this game, you obtain sword skills and spells. Sort of like the sword techniques you learn in WW and TP.

I do not think with a 3D update these things need to change. They are already going through the trouble of making mostly an all new game, and if they implement more changes they might as well just make a new game entirely and not be shoehorned into holding to the guidelines of some 30 year old game and have more freedom to add in whatever they want.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
The overworld in itself would be awesome to come to life seeing how it was and still is the biggest overworld in a Zelda game, and that was being top down with encounters. Just think how huge it would be in a third person view.

And you would think a game like this would be updated long before OoT, MM, TP and even TWW considering all the bad reviews on the title. To me the game was a classic and couldn't get any better but I still say remake for the younger generation that disliked the RPG qualities the game had.

The overworld in itself would be awesome to come to life seeing how it was and still is the biggest overworld in a Zelda game, and that was being top down with encounters. Just think how huge it would be in a third person view.

And you would think a game like this would be updated long before OoT, MM, TP and even TWW considering all the bad reviews on the title. To me the game was a classic and couldn't get any better but I still say remake for the younger generation that disliked the RPG qualities the game had.

I feel the same. There's also many exclusive enemies I'd love to see reimiganined, as well as an oldie but goodie who never did. Goriya!

I would love to see the Zelda II bosses done in 3D, I'm sure some of them would be quite imposing.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I actually think Zelda 2 would make a pretty good Hyrule Warriors experience combat wise. However, with a lot better enemy A.I. And no emphasis on a battle field. Also, they could totally upgrade the spells to make them better.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Yes there does seem to be a lot of similarities between the two maps.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Honestly, by merit of being 3D alone a lot of the issues I had with the original (specifically the weird controls) would be alleviated. Also for the love of all that is good, please no random encounter screens.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
As for enemies yeah a lot have yet to be brought to life into the 3D world including the Lynel, Goriya, Darknut, Lanmola, Patra, Pols Voice, Vire, Zol, Daira, Doomknocker, Fokka (bird knights) and basically almost every enemy from AoL.

But OoT did bring back the Lizalfos from Zelda 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom