• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3D Zelda: How often do you use the shield in combat?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
They should give the sheilds better properties, like a more useful shield bash, or maybe enchantments. A shield that can electrify enemies.

They should give the sheilds better properties, like a more useful shield bash, or maybe enchantments. A shield that can electrify enemies.

Honestly, the best case scenario I can see is enemies whose projectiles can only be deflected by the shield. It'd be something like the Twinriva battle in OoT, only less energy would be absorbed.

It's a tough call because no shield runs actually make the series a lot more interesting.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
In SS players were discouraged from using shields as they broke all the time.
I wouldn't say it discouraged shield use. It was more like trying to encourage you to learn how to use your shield more effectively. If you just stood there and let it get hit, it would be damaged, but if you shield-bashed, it wouldn't take any damage at all. Although, you can deflect most projectiles like octorok rocks with a well-angled sword slash, so it wasn't really that useful altogether.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
All the time in tWW, TP, and SS. Some of tWW's enemies had very long range where side jumping wouldn't work and backflipping would just waste time, TP's shield was fun to use, and SS's shield was insanely OP.

I guess I'd say I used it enough. Some games obviously make better use out of it than others. But I tend to mix things up, sometimes favoring agility and sometimes favoring the shield. Guess it just depends what I'm in the mood for.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I occasionally use the shield, but I often find myself either back flipping or jumping to the side in order to avoid an enemy's attacks. I guess I'm more of a "hack n slash" person who focuses on offense rather than my own defense. :P

I usually forget it exists, tbh. I typically just hop around and do backflips like an acrobat. I think the only time I actually used the shield regularly was fighting Orca in The Wind Waker, ha. Then in, like, 2-D overhead games, I only get a shield if they force me to. So, like I just run around shield-less in some games, isn't that great? :coolsar: Except I accidentally got the Hylian Shield in A Link Between Worlds and then I was stuck with it. :ananger: I saved because I thought it was like the Mirror Shield in A Link to the Past. I could get it and then just have a like-like eat it, and then if I changed my mind, it'd be for sale someplace. But, no. They had to make it stupid. So now I'm stuck with a shield I don't want.

So, basically, I'm more on the offense when I play Zelda games. Unlike when I play MarioKart and I'm actually extremely defensive, lmao.

キラ

Yo!
The shield is pretty useful, if you ask me. Especially against these guys.

latest

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I never shield, shielding is for n00bs and people without skill, 3D Zelda is easily winnable on ALL formats without the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom