• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3D Printers - Your Thoughts

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Ok so I don't know if there's a similar thread on here, didn't check that far back. But anyway.

3D printers are much different than regular printing, in that it extrudes small strips of material (usually plastics, resins, metals, etc.) through a feeder. A computer program breaks down the shape of the object in question into a series of cross-sections then builds up on those layers once they are laid down. This is also different from regular machining, which relies on taking away material to create objects and is more limited in what it can do. There are several methods of printing, from an extruding method which feeds the tube-like material through the melter, a granular method which rather than using liquids uses solids ground up into powders and grains, among other methods.

I've been working on a project in my hydraulics class to build a 3D printer for my own. The more I read up on this, the more I get excited about the possibilities. Being able to create any kind of object on-the-spot has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Especially in the medical fields, I've heard of cases where they've printed off replacement bones to fit into people's skulls, wicked stuff. And in my line of work, I can print off a prototype model and redesign it within an hour or so after the clients make sudden changes, and I don't have to wait weeks on end for the new model to come in from the machine shops.

But then many people jump straight to the conclusion that people will start printing off guns and killing off people left and right. I know that would be technically possible, but it makes me sad that people automatically assume the worst in new technologies, especially ones like this that can change everything.

Anyways I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on this potentially game-changing technology.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
My school has one (though currently it's broken and needs some fixing). I think they're really cool. Very good for prototyping things, and even making final products provided the right epoxy is added to it to keep it glued together well. Overall really neat tools, with various types.

Clank

Hmm
What plans are you using for it?

I actually am really interested in the making of 3D printers, but I am afraid that they will end up being too highly regulated.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
What plans are you using for it?

I actually am really interested in the making of 3D printers, but I am afraid that they will end up being too highly regulated.

Our 3D printer is going to be used as a prototype to become a more standardized project for my hydraulics class. No one's ever done this before, most projects are focused on hydraulic cylinders and such, but if my team can get it up & running and actually make products with it, it'll show the department that this type of thing can be done within a reasonable budget. Put more of a mechanical spin on a class that otherwise focuses purely on hydraulics and the electronics associated with it.

I WISH I could take it home with me and mess around with it, but unfortunately in order to get funding we had to relinquish that right, so it's going to stay within the department.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
They'd make parties much more fun. Like when people sit on the scanner; 3D printer would take that to a whole new level!

I've never had the chance of using one, or barely even seeing one, but I always think what I have in my imagination might not be what actually happens. :P That said, the concept and stuff, and if what happened on Big Bang Theory is representative of how it works, they do seem pretty cool! Maybe in years and years time, these things will be cheap and in every household. :D

I've heard about 3D printers. And the first thing I thought was "Wow, if I had one of those, I could make my own Figma-like action figures and BJDs!"

...I'm such a dork.

Dan

I would like to see this technology expand. I am right now mostly interested in it so that I can create video game controllers for my friend Night owl.

Jaywolf

~The Wolfos Furry~
I think they're ok, but my question is, what if your trying to make a 3D rainbow? can it print it in different colors at the same time?

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
They seem extremely usefull, I'd love one for personal use, and I'd probably make a new shell for my ds lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom