• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3d Dot Game Heroes First 10 Minutes Discussion

Hey all, I just noticed this post on Dtoid.
http://www.destructoid.com/ten-minute-taste-3d-dot-game-heroes-167386.phtml
Now, I know some of you feel like this game is "ripping off" zelda. I don't feel this way at all. In fact, it's hard to believe a game is trying to riff on a game when there are SO MANY little inside jokes and references to zelda. The biggest things I noticed were the wind waker style opening sequence and the king dropping the ultra-famous quote, "it's dangerous to go alone, take this!" In other words, when people rip off things, they try as hard as possible not to mention the person/thing they're riffing on (example: irate gamer and AVGN).

I also know that some of you think it exists because playstation wants the zelda series. I disagree, the only reason it's on playstation is because there's no way nintendo would put "Homages" or "tributes" on their console.

What do you guys think?

(P.S: I do like Irate Gamer, just not as much as AVGN).

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
It was ok, it looked kinda meh to me. and Damn, that video almost put me to sleep. Oh, And the music was atroucious and not as heroic sounding. Yet, I can't look at this game without thinking about Zelda or that someone might get their @sses sued. However, Since I don't own a PS3 I'm not even gonna say anything, Nevertheless, It's not something that I'd buy....for now.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Hey all, I just noticed this post on Dtoid.
http://www.destructoid.com/ten-minute-taste-3d-dot-game-heroes-167386.phtml
Now, I know some of you feel like this game is "ripping off" zelda. I don't feel this way at all. In fact, it's hard to believe a game is trying to riff on a game when there are SO MANY little inside jokes and references to zelda. The biggest things I noticed were the wind waker style opening sequence and the king dropping the ultra-famous quote, "it's dangerous to go alone, take this!" In other words, when people rip off things, they try as hard as possible not to mention the person/thing they're riffing on (example: irate gamer and AVGN).

I also know that some of you think it exists because playstation wants the zelda series. I disagree, the only reason it's on playstation is because there's no way nintendo would put "Homages" or "tributes" on their console.

What do you guys think?

(P.S: I do like Irate Gamer, just not as much as AVGN).

I do believe this game is a massive homage to Zelda, but I don't believe your answer about how Nintendo never wants to put homages on their consoles. That's just a silly reason if I've ever heard one. They won't object to a homage to them as long as it is spoken outright.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I, for one, don't see it as homage, but a cheap way of making money off of an already popular series. I think it's just another stab at trying to win over more of the casual gaming crowd from Nintendo. Most people who play this game probably won't catch onto the fact that it's pretty much Zelda, because they'll either be too young to know what TLoZ is, or their lack of gaming experience will be an excuse. Those who do know what Zelda is will likely see this game as a ripoff- at least the majority of them.

To claim that Nintendo wouldn't put tributes or homages on their consoles is a little... off. I mean, take OoT/LA for example- Malon/Marin, Talon/Tarin, and Ingo are a huge way of paying homage to Peach, Mario, and Bowser.

Paying homage is one thing, but this is a blatant rip-off, and I will give every customer that purchases it the Zelda-fan death glare.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
I would buy it. If I had a PS3. Is it a rip off. The word is duhh, but besides the fact its on a Sony console, I don't find anything wrong with it. To me it just seems.....uhhh. Well thats it. It seems like something people would only think of doing but never do. This whole 3-D Dot Hero is just leaving me confused.

It does look like sort of an homage to Zelda. Especially that big opening sequence. I don't think Nintendo can hold a copyright on gameplay and story elements, its not like the elements of Zelda are 100% original. It looks like it could be a nice little game and nothing to be worried about. Anyone who is upset about this game to the point that they are angry at others for liking it need to remember that it is simply just a video game.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It looks like an interesting game, kind of like ALttP. Still, I'm not sure the story will be compelling enough... plus, that giant sword looks a little confusing. One feature I do like is the character select. I wouldn't mind going through and playing as different characters once in a while. If I had a PS3, I'd definitely get this. I'm not sure this game is worth buying a PS3 in order to play when I can already play every Zelda game on my Wii, though...

I will give every customer that purchases it the Zelda-fan death glare.

You've really done it this time. I wasn't planning to buy this game because I don't have a PS3, but now that you've said this... I'm going to go out and buy it (along with a PS3) when it comes out. You can't tell ME what to do! I'm not afraid of your death glare. :lol:

haha athenian200 way to stick up for yourself. But 300$ plus a game that's like 39.99 or something is going a long way to prove a point across the internet. Aside for that I hope nintendo retaliates with it's own 3D type game like this.

Seems like I just posted in thread like this one a while back...

But I'll say the same thing: Good for them. The PS3 has been dead last this entire generation, and this is an obvious attempt at using an idea to try and create a successful game. The Zelda series has done far better than anything on the PS3 could do, so why not take its basic concept and use it?

I am by no means a hater on this game. I'm glad that this marvelous genre is expanding even more. Will I be buying the game? Hell no, I want Final Fantasy XIII WAAAAAAY more, and I don't have the cash to keep shelling out. And even if I did, other up-coming PS3 games appeal to me more, specifically Arkham Asylum 2.

I see it as part homage, and part blatant rip-off. It's true the Zelda has strayed from the Alttp styling (as in graphics and gameplay, not story), but this also show the Sony is just trying to make money after something of Nintendo. This shares a lot with early Zelda games, like the characters, music, weapons, and overworld.

What I am worried about is that this is not just a one time thing. If the are many many sequels then it will almost be a 100% ripoff rather than a homage, not to mention possibly stealing fans from the Zelda series.

[sarcasm]But come on that's not really going to happen is it? [/sarcasm]

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I see it as part homage, and part blatant rip-off. It's true the Zelda has strayed from the Alttp styling (as in graphics and gameplay, not story), but this also show the Sony is just trying to make money after something of Nintendo. This shares a lot with early Zelda games, like the characters, music, weapons, and overworld.

What I am worried about is that this is not just a one time thing. If the are many many sequels then it will almost be a 100% ripoff rather than a homage, not to mention possibly stealing fans from the Zelda series. But come on that's not really going to happen is it?

Unfortunately, I think it could happen. Many Nintendo fans have ditched Nintendo for Microsoft or Sony. I think Sony knows that it can make bank by supporting a Zelda rip-off. I mean, look at how well they're doing with Final Fantasy- it started on a Nintendo console. If Sony they got something close to Zelda- whether they or a 3rd party made it- they'd be set. I think they might be looking at this as a test... If it does well, a sequel may be considered... and then another and another until they've got a Zelda clone. Not only would the Sony fanboys be all up for it, but it'd give some of the people who've clung to Nintendo, waiting for a miracle, a reason to leave.

It's a very real possibility, and it kind of worries me.

Unfortunately, I think it could happen. Many Nintendo fans have ditched Nintendo for Microsoft or Sony. I think Sony knows that it can make bank by supporting a Zelda rip-off. I mean, look at how well they're doing with Final Fantasy- it started on a Nintendo console. If Sony they got something close to Zelda- whether they or a 3rd party made it- they'd be set. I think they might be looking at this as a test... If it does well, a sequel may be considered... and then another and another until they've got a Zelda clone. Not only would the Sony fanboys be all up for it, but it'd give some of the people who've clung to Nintendo, waiting for a miracle, a reason to leave.

It's a very real possibility, and it kind of worries me.

Well if they can give people who have been dissatisfied with Nintendo what they want, more power to them I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom