• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda 3 Heart Challenge...in the Original Zelda for the NES.

All of us have probably heard of 3 heart challenges. You have to play through a Zelda game from start to finish without picking up a heart container or collecting all of the heart pieces to complete a heart container.Translation: Play through the entire game with only 3 hearts. Now a lot of people do 3 heart challenges to make the game more challenging. The most common games that people do a 3HC on are Ocarina of Time and up. Mainly because a lot of people own the more modern games and you can easily avoid getting heart containers and pieces.

In "A Link to the Past" and "Link's Awakening," it is impossible to do a 3HC. You are forced to collect the heart containers after you beat a boss in a dungeon because if you touch them, you are able to open the door to the room to get the important treasure you have to get to progress through the game. This is kinda sad because i believe doing a 3HC in both of these games could've been very fun and challenging.With Zelda 2, there really isn't a 3HC going on because you don't start off with 3 heart containers.Your health is in bars.Now you could do a similar challenge by not upgrading your health, but in my opinion, there really isn't a 3HC that you can do in this game. Zelda 1 is the only Zelda game out of the 4 early Zelda games where you can actually do a 3HC. Is it hard? YOU BET ITS HARD.

If you are a hardcore Zelda fan that wants a challenge, look no further to doing a 3HC on Zelda 1. I can go on about how hard this challenge is, but you should experience this for yourself. If you are going to do this challenge, then when you are at the end of the first dungeon fighting the boss, stand behind the boss and kill it so you can avoid the heart container. I'm on the last dungeon in the first quest. I can not imagine what the second quest is going to be like.:mad:

Now I have a question for you guys. Has anyone thought about doing a 3HC on LoZ? Are you doing one right now? Have you beaten the 1st and 2nd with only 3 hearts?:ODiscuss down below.

Last edited:

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
It should be possible to do even a 1HC in Zelda 1, but only in Second Quest. There are few places in the game (three or four in total), which requires rupees or sacrificing a Heart Container in order to proceed.

I must admit i thought the magical sword was required to kill Ganon, which requires a number of heart containers to get. 13 IIRC

All of us have probably heard of 3 heart challenges. You have to play through a Zelda game from start to finish without picking up a heart container or collecting all of the heart pieces to complete a heart container.Translation: Play through the entire game with only 3 hearts. Now a lot of people do 3 heart challenges to make the game more challenging. The most common games that people do a 3HC on are Ocarina of Time and up. Mainly because a lot of people own the more modern games and you can easily avoid getting heart containers and pieces.

In "A Link to the Past" and "Link's Awakening," it is impossible to do a 3HC. You are forced to collect the heart containers after you beat a boss in a dungeon because if you touch them, you are able to open the door to the room to get the important treasure you have to get to progress through the game. This is kinda sad because i believe doing a 3HC in both of these games could've been very fun and challenging.With Zelda 2, there really isn't a 3HC going on because you don't start off with 3 heart containers.Your health is in bars.Now you could do a similar challenge by not upgrading your health, but in my opinion, there really isn't a 3HC that you can do in this game. Zelda 1 is the only Zelda game out of the 4 early Zelda games where you can actually do a 3HC. Is it hard? YOU BET ITS HARD.

If you are a hardcore Zelda fan that wants a challenge, look no further to doing a 3HC on Zelda 1. I can go on about how hard this challenge is, but you should experience this for yourself. If you are going to do this challenge, then when you are at the end of the first dungeon fighting the boss, stand behind the boss and kill it so you can avoid the heart container. I'm on the last dungeon in the first quest. I can not imagine what the second quest is going to be like.:mad:

Now I have a question for you guys. Has anyone thought about doing a 3HC on LoZ? Are you doing one right now? Have you beaten the 1st and 2nd with only 3 hearts?:ODiscuss down below.

Never. I don't really see the point.

Never. I don't really see the point.
It's just to add more replay value and more challenge. If you are good at the game and you can beat the game without dying, you can try to do this challenge just so you can have something else to do in the game. In a lot of games that I have played, after you beat the game there is really nothing else you can do. Sure the game can be fun and you can try to beat the game 100%, but after that, there really isn't anything else you can do in the game. This is what I like about the Zelda series, you can make it easy or you can make it really hard. There are a lot of challenges that people on the internet made up which will give you a good point of playing the game again, and it can be a different experience. The 3HC in Zelda 1 will keep you busy, believe me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I've attempted a 3HC on LoZ, unfortunately I died before I could even reach Level 2 :/

Also, I need tips with defeating the bosses so that the heart container doesn't fall on the ground right in front of the door I need to enter to reach the triforce piece :/

I've attempted a 3HC on LoZ, unfortunately I died before I could even reach Level 2 :/

Also, I need tips with defeating the bosses so that the heart container doesn't fall on the ground right in front of the door I need to enter to reach the triforce piece :/
That's weird, that has never happened to me before. For me the Heart Container usually lands on the bottom-left corner or the other corner except for the first dungeon . This should only happen in the first dungeon. My tip is that you should kill the bosses away from the door.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I know the heart container always spawns in the bottom right corner whenever I fight 3 headed Gleeok, but other than that the piece will spawn on the spot where the boss was killed (in the center of his/her/it's body). I'll try repositioning, if that doesn't work then I'll just rage. I'll also attempt to watch some let's plays or general walkthroughs of an LoZ3HC.

H

Hyrules_Ruler

I hope to do one soon via VNES emulator and I'm gonna post the vid....COMING....as soon as i have time...

kaimason1

the Wanderer
What would be even more difficult would be a 3HC speed run for LoZ. I wonder what the lowest reasonable time for one would be, but I'm definitely not skilled enough to do one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom