• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2d: Which Timeline?

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
I guess we overlooked the towns in AoL. Must mean they're on the adult timeline.
Likely, but I wouldn't say it's definite. The intro of Majora's Mask does say that the story of the Hero of Time was passed down amongst the Royal Family (on the child timeline), but Wind Waker actually shows a room full of stained-glass windows dedicated to the Sages. Aonuma's quote seems to indicate Adult Timeline, but it's not definitive.

Oh and one thing: There was no master sword in original loz. But is the magic sword the master sword?
I'd say no. There's nothing that really indicates they are the same.

We can assume alttp takes place after loz/aol, but what if it's on the child timeline? Just look at where you get the master sword. Same as tp: the lost woods.
If you can justify the story of the Imprisoning/Seal War on the Child Timeline. The events of the game's backstory are far more important than the location of the Sword, which may very well just be a cameo, considering Aonuma has made it widely known that aLttP is his favorite game.

Eiji Aonuma said:
Each of the races has a character fated to be one of the sages later on. We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them. In the world of Zelda, the events of Ocarina of Time occur before the events of Adventure of Link

Well, I suppose if this magazine is post-WW, then I really don't know what to say about that. You could say that the tale of the Sages was passed down, but I don't know about how much detail Link would have went into in his conversation with Zelda at the end of OoT. Plus, you must consider that legends usually lose a lot of information over time, and since the Sages weren't changed in the CT, the towns in AoL really don't add up anymore. All I know, is that the timeline at OoT's release looked something like:

OoT--ALttP/LA--LoZ--AoL

Which would have made perfect sense towards this quote. Then again, I guess since there is apparently a New Hyrule that has been discovered (shown in Spirit Tracks), LoZ and AoL could take place on the Adult Timeline just as well.

I guess we overlooked the towns in AoL. Must mean they're on the adult timeline. Oh and one thing: There was no master sword in original loz. But is the magic sword the master sword? We can assume alttp takes place after loz/aol, but what if it's on the child timeline? Just look at where you get the master sword. Same as tp: the lost woods.

I don't assume that at all. As of right now, my timeline isn't perfect, and there are a few things that I am unsure about, so I just throw them in wherever I can. Here is an example.

....../--WW/PH--ST
OoT
......\MM--TP--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Note that I have left out a bunch of games, including MC, FS, FSA, and the Oracle titles, since I am not exactly sure where I would put them right now. But the timeline shown here is what I'm following at least. I refuse to accept that ALttP takes place before LoZ/AoL. The whole point of ALttP was to show the origins of Ganon and give some backstory to the events of LoZ/AoL since neither really had much. The Master Sword placement is something I take pretty seriously as good evidence. I feel that it stays in the same pedestal from OoT, to TP, then on into ALttP. Afterwards, it has not yet been used again on the CT, according to my theory.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
Well, I suppose if this magazine is post-WW, then I really don't know what to say about that. You could say that the tale of the Sages was passed down, but I don't know about how much detail Link would have went into in his conversation with Zelda at the end of OoT. Plus, you must consider that legends usually lose a lot of information over time, and since the Sages weren't changed in the CT, the towns in AoL really don't add up anymore. All I know, is that the timeline at OoT's release looked something like:

OoT--ALttP/LA--LoZ--AoL

Which would have made perfect sense towards this quote. Then again, I guess since there is apparently a New Hyrule that has been discovered (shown in Spirit Tracks), LoZ and AoL could take place on the Adult Timeline just as well.

To make sure we're all on the same page about this quote...
The quote was said in late 2008, but by the context, he's talking about at the time of the game's development. He doesn't given any indication that the intent has changed since then though.

I've been informed that the last line (which is in paranthesis in the image I posted) is not actually Aonuma, but the interviewer clarifying Aonuma's words. Regardless, the intent is the same.

Two more things:

While the common fan timeline at the time was OoT-aLttP/LA-LoZ/AoL, Miyamoto said the timeline was OoT-LoZ-AoL-aLttP. I'm sure you all know that, and I'm sure no one cares :P But just saying

And finally, we don't know yet that ST takes place in Hyrule...though it very well could.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
I don't assume that at all. As of right now, my timeline isn't perfect, and there are a few things that I am unsure about, so I just throw them in wherever I can. Here is an example.

....../--WW/PH--ST
OoT
......\MM--TP--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL
My bad. I should have said "We can assume they both take place on the same time line", though I would not say we can be, completely sure they are, but I would put them on the same side if I made my own, full, timeline.

I do personally believe that if MC comes after ST then ALTTP must go on the same timeline as it seems quite clear they are attempting to match up with FSA but that would mean we have the backstory of both Wind Waker and A Link to the Past in the same timeline which to me doesnt really fit but that seems the biggest complaint for me. So i agree with Zemen's comment on this (first time i think :P)

I do believe that LoZ/AoL go on the AT because of the town names. They are a lot more prominent in Adult Timeline events (people know for a fact they aren awakened sages) then they are in the Child Timeline (also the quote is only half a year old)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom