• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2d: Which Timeline?

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Aonuma gave us the confirmation of the split timeline a while back. We know the split occurs in Ocarina of Time, then Twilight Princess is in the Child Timeline, and The Wind Waker is in the Adult Timeline. Though Nintendo's given no direct confirmation, it's generally assumed that most of the 2d games (except for The Minish Cap in some timelines) are after this part of the timeline that Aonuma confirmed.

For a while, I've had these 2d games later in the Child Timeline, partly because The Legend of Zelda works well as a distant sequel to Twilight Princess, and partly because we have Hyrule flooded in The Wind Waker and the rest of that timeline.

Spirit Tracks is already bringing up a new issue concerning which side of the timeline the 2d games go on. From what we can tell so far, Spirit Tracks seems to involve the descendants of The Wind Waker's Link and Zelda finally finding a New Hyrule. So, this would not limit the chance of the 2d games set in Hyrule appearing later in the timeline.

What do you think? Which side of the timeline do you place the 2d Zeldas on? Do you think the story of Spirit Tracks will reveal more about which side they go on?

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
It seemed logical that the 2d zeldas would be on the child timeline, however I do think spirit tracks may really make a change as far as what side the 2ds go on.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Until there is mention of Ganon existing post-TWW, then I'll just figure that they fall on the CT. I'm not saying that I think he's totally dead after TWW, but so far he's not been mentioned. That's really all I can base my ideas on right now. Maybe some 2Ds are on one side, and other 2Ds are on the other side? *shrug* I really don't know, but I do so hope that both of the upcoming games will shed some light on this question.

I don't believe Spirit Tracks will reveal too much as far as a connection to the older 2D games. What I do believe, which is pretty obvious, is that the game will feature the New Hyrule, which is something that I always knew would happen. This will only make it possible then for the 2d titles to possible go there, and further confuse the general timeline theory that they take place on the CT.

I will still hold to my timeline for now and say that the 2d games take place on the CT because of Twilight Princess' connections from OoT to A Link to the Past. Of course then we know that LoZ and AoL so far come sometime after ALttP; a statement that has yet to be disproven or "taken back" by the producers.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Just something to bring up, but who says that all of the 2D Zeldas have to go on the same timeline? I know that most of them are connected together but it's not crazy to think that OoX or even ST could be completely disconnected from the others in the series.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Just something to bring up, but who says that all of the 2D Zeldas have to go on the same timeline? I know that most of them are connected together but it's not crazy to think that OoX or even ST could be completely disconnected from the others in the series.

I've thought about that some. It's possible that Spirit Tracks will be a prequel to another game, while also a distant sequel to The Wind Waker. This would be a smart way for Nintendo to tell us what order some of the games fall into. I've mainly thought of the posibility of maybe Spirit Tracks being a prequel to The Minish Cap. This would effect a LOT, but wouldn't keep The Legend of Zelda from fitting so well after Twilight Princess.

I've thought about that some. It's possible that Spirit Tracks will be a prequel to another game, while also a distant sequel to The Wind Waker. This would be a smart way for Nintendo to tell us what order some of the games fall into. I've mainly thought of the posibility of maybe Spirit Tracks being a prequel to The Minish Cap. This would effect a LOT, but wouldn't keep The Legend of Zelda from fitting so well after Twilight Princess.

THIS was my original timeline idea. I would be pumped if it turned out to be true.

- Link and Tetra find a new Hyrule, where the Four Swords Saga takes place.

To me, it made since because of the "difference" from the Saga to the rest of the games and the locations in some that were not in others, like the Shrine of the Four Sword (Palace doesn't count... not the same thing at all).

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
THIS was my original timeline idea. I would be pumped if it turned out to be true.

- Link and Tetra find a new Hyrule, where the Four Swords Saga takes place.

To me, it made since because of the "difference" from the Saga to the rest of the games and the locations in some that were not in others, like the Shrine of the Four Sword (Palace doesn't count... not the same thing at all).

Well, actually, this would mean that ALTTP takes place in this new land too. It's pretty obvious that FSA is a prequel to ALTTP.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Well, actually, this would mean that ALTTP takes place in this new land too. It's pretty obvious that FSA is a prequel to ALTTP.

Hm... I think A Link to the Past might not actually work on that side of the timeline in that case, unless Spirit Tracks explains that the Master Sword reaches the new Hyrule. As far as anyone can tell, Ganondorf is buried under the sea with the Master Sword at the end of The Wind Waker. The easiest explanation that Spirit Tracks could give would be the waves subsiding, or perhaps the land rising in something related to the whole Deku Tree seed-planting deal in The Wind Waker.

It wouldn't anymore if they made some of the games come after ST in the New Hyrule, as I suggested. Then, the Four Swords Saga would take place in the New Hyrule. Even if right now ALttP seems to be the next gen sequel to FSA, it could be contradicted in this manner. It would explain a lot of things, like how come we don't see the Master Sword anymore after WW, why the Four Sword is suddenly so important, and why the Four Sword Shrine was never anywhere to be found in Hyrule in any other Zelda title outside of this Saga.

And the whole "Palace of the Four Sword" deal in GBA ALttP can easily be looked over if they were to do this. To me, the Palace is no more than an extra level. It doesn't have any real valid information to give about a connection to the Four Sword Saga at all. The Four Sword is not broken, but it is split into four parts. If it were broken, it would have been physically broken in half. Plus, the Four Sword is in its Shrine, not in the Sacred Realm/Dark World of all places, and much, much less settin in Ganon's hideout.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Hm... I think A Link to the Past might not actually work on that side of the timeline in that case, unless Spirit Tracks explains that the Master Sword reaches the new Hyrule. As far as anyone can tell, Ganondorf is buried under the sea with the Master Sword at the end of The Wind Waker. The easiest explanation that Spirit Tracks could give would be the waves subsiding, or perhaps the land rising in something related to the whole Deku Tree seed-planting deal in The Wind Waker.
Hmm... Maybe in spirit tracks you must collect three items for the water level to lower enough (maybe you could place these objects somewhere to change the water level and then you could explore new places) than go down and pull the sword out of ganondorf's head lol. Say there is actually a new villain in hyrule BUT you need to get the master sword to kill him? Then ganondorf returns to fight link. I'm starting to wonder how else link could have got the master sword back.:hmm:

It seems more likely that 2ds are on the child line still, but I have no doubt in a later game (possibly spirit tracks:dry:) will make it only harder to place the 2ds.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Aonuma stated in November of 2008 that LoZ/AoL are "after the events of Ocarina of Time". Take that how you will.
Really? Wait, what was the exact quote? I'd like to have a better idea of how I should take that.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
Image isn't real high quality but:
http://i34.tinypic.com/55jqmv.jpg

Here's the quote of interest

Eiji Aonuma said:
Each of the races has a character fated to be one of the sages later on. We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them. In the world of Zelda, the events of Ocarina of Time occur before the events of Adventure of Link

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Image isn't real high quality but:
http://i34.tinypic.com/55jqmv.jpg

Here's the quote of interest
I guess we overlooked the towns in AoL. Must mean they're on the adult timeline. Oh and one thing: There was no master sword in original loz. But is the magic sword the master sword? We can assume alttp takes place after loz/aol, but what if it's on the child timeline? Just look at where you get the master sword. Same as tp: the lost woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom