• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

I've been hesitant to post about the results of last week's Iowa Caucus because of how murky it was. The app developed to count votes did not work. Shadow Inc., the company behind the app, is run by someone who worked for the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016 and the app was partially funded by the Pete Buttigieg campaign. If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

Sources:

Anyhow, according to the Associated Press, this is the final pledged delegate count for Iowa:

Pete Buttigieg - 13
Bernie Sanders - 12
Elizabeth Warren - 8
Joe Biden - 6
Amy Klobuchar - 1
Everyone else - 0

There should be 1 more pledged delegate to distribute, and that should go to Sanders considering he finished 0.1% behind Pete Buttigieg in the state delegate equivalents, which is the number that's ultimately converted to national delegates.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

The Devil's Advocate
ZD Champion
I've been hesitant to post about the results of last week's Iowa Caucus because of how murky it was. The app developed to count votes did not work. Shadow Inc., the company behind the app, is run by someone who worked for the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016 and the app was partially funded by the Pete Buttigieg campaign. If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

Sources:

Anyhow, according to the Associated Press, this is the final pledged delegate count for Iowa:

Pete Buttigieg - 13
Bernie Sanders - 12
Elizabeth Warren - 8
Joe Biden - 6
Amy Klobuchar - 1
Everyone else - 0

There should be 1 more pledged delegate to distribute, and that should go to Sanders considering he finished 0.1% behind Pete Buttigieg in the state delegate equivalents, which is the number that's ultimately converted to national delegates.
Was there any evidence of software tampering? I definitely agree that it presents a conflict of interest, but has anyone been called in to evaluate the software for possible exploits? If not, it feels like rampant speculation.

Was there any evidence of software tampering? I definitely agree that it presents a conflict of interest, but has anyone been called in to evaluate the software for possible exploits? If not, it feels like rampant speculation.
The app was discarded in the final counting process as far as I am aware. Instead, the head of each precinct called the Iowa Democratic Party to report results. That said, the head of the DNC and both the Sanders and Buttigieg campaigns have called for a recanvass due to incorrect math and counting in some areas.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

The Devil's Advocate
ZD Champion
The app was discarded in the final counting process as far as I am aware. Instead, the head of each precinct called the Iowa Democratic Party to report results. That said, the head of the DNC and both the Sanders and Buttigieg campaigns have called for a recanvass due to incorrect math and counting in some areas.

Calling for a recanvas seems like a reasonable demand given the amount of drama surrounding the Iowa caucuses this year. Barring some multilayered conspiracy (of which there really aren't any in the modern age), I think it lends some level of innocence to the Buttigieg campaign. If there were some malicious involvement on their part, I doubt they would vocally support a recount.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
ZD Legend
Why can't we just use pen and paper for elections, you can't tamper with that. That is how we do it in Washington.

Well, Yang was my dog in that race so that's unfortunate. At least now I can back Bernie just for the absolute nuclear exchange when he debates Trump.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Forum Volunteer
Honestly could not be more glad Yang is out. UBI as a replacement for EBT and other social safety nets was a disaster of a policy. Without rent control most of that would go to landlords jacking up prices wholesale.

Anyhow Sanders leads in votes by 10,000 but is 2 delegates behind, our election system is a mess. Can't wait for the Hillary stans who decried the Electoral College because it went against the popular vote to show solidarity with Bernie.

Sorry, if I don't make at least one joke a month about neolibs with no spine, my heart will literally stop functioning.

Terminus

Forum Volunteer
Seeing Bloomberg get his face ripped off on live TV was refreshing. I cannot believe that a corrupt, racist, sexist New York Billionaire is buying his way into the DNC. I mean, I can buy that, but people flocking to him to #StopTrump is baffling.

The only material difference is that Bloomberg hasn't gone senile, otherwise their interests and policies align.

For very similar reasons, I think this is why I think it will be really hard for anybody to beat Biden. It's impossible to win the Democratic Primary without competing strongly for the Black vote.
1582180975491.png

Good riddance you segregationist.

Last edited:

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Yup, this post seems like a lifetime ago. Biden has completely collapsed. Although I STILL think he could win South Carolina.

What I've realized is... why in the world does the Democratic Party still go with Iowa and New Hampshire 1st and 2nd. Two of the whitest states in the country... Makes more sense for the Republican electorate maybe, but definitely no the Democratic electorate.

I just imagine if the first 4 states were reversed and South Carolina was the first state to vote....

Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobachar would have gotten 1-2% of the vote... Sanders would have done solid as he does perform well with younger minorities... but Biden would have won with 40% of the vote, even with this crowded field.

Terminus

Forum Volunteer
What I've realized is... why in the world does the Democratic Party still go with Iowa and New Hampshire 1st and 2nd. Two of the whitest states in the country... Makes more sense for the Republican electorate maybe, but definitely no the Democratic electorate.
Because New Hampshire state law says that they have have the first primary, and Iowa got set up that way after Vietnam war tensions in 1968.

The parties also cannot split off and do different states at different times, mainly due to logistics. Having two separate primary dates would be a complete and total nightmare.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Bernie is the only candidate worth a damn. **** the rest and their dumbass “Democrat” shell that champions minorities while exploiting them. If he doesn’t get the nom, hello Trump 2020.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
ZD Champion
Sanders kinda exploded out to the lead, which is great news if you support him because it means more screen time and name recognition...

And I'm willing to put serious money down (1 dollar?) that if you go back the last 12 years of senate/presidential elections, the winningest candidates are the most covered in media / the most recognizable moreso than any policies or ethics that may be involved. As they say, "any publicity is good publicity"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom