• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend
The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3.

Republican Candidates:

Donald Trump (Incumbent):

Democratic Candidates:

Joe Biden
Bernie Sanders
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
Andrew Yang
Pete Buttigieg
Tulsi Gabbard
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar
Cory Booker
Julián Castro
Bill de Blasio
John Delaney
Eric Swalwell
Michael Bennet
John Hickenlooper
Tim Ryan
Jay Inslee
Mariamme Williamson

The first three Democratic Primary Debates will be held on June 26 and 27, July 30 and 31, and September 12.

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries#Debates

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend
Debate season starts tonight and continues into tomorrow.

Night One will feature, from left to right: de Blasio; Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio; former Housing Secretary Julián Castro; Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey; Warren; O'Rourke; Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii; Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington; and Delaney.

Night Two will have, from left to right: Williamson; Hickenlooper; Yang; Buttigieg; Biden; Sanders; Sen. Kamala Harris of California; Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York; Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado; and Swalwell.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-sanders-warren-o-rourke-be-center-stage-first-debate-n1019031

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
What is with this picture and throwing in random people such as Mark Cuban, Mark Zuckerberg, and the Rock? Unless I missed some random candidate announcements?

Not hopeful in the slightest about any of the candidates really. Dems backing Joe Biden hard sounds like Trump 2020 to me.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Forum Volunteer
Lol @ Robert Francis O'Rourke speaking Spanish unprompted during the first debate. This is some "Abuela Hillary carries hot sauce in her purse!" levels of transparent pandering.

I do like that Bernie has pushed the party dialogue Leftwards, but I have very little faith in any of them sans maybe Warren on following up on it.

Ninja

bang!
Staff member
ZD Champion
What is with this picture and throwing in random people such as Mark Cuban, Mark Zuckerberg, and the Rock? Unless I missed some random candidate announcements?

Not hopeful in the slightest about any of the candidates really. Dems backing Joe Biden hard sounds like Trump 2020 to me.
I would totally vote for The Rock. Gonna give a Rock Bottom to all the terrorists!

Not really keen on anyone this round either. Maybe will change my perspective once we start narrowing down the generic debate responses.

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend
I think Elizabeth Warren did the best on night 1. She did exactly what she needed to do by supporting Medicare for All and promoting the creation of green new energy manufactured in the U.S.

As for Night 2, don't think anyone particularly stood out, but I think the attack from Kamala Harris on Joe Biden as a racist makes little sense when he did a lot for civil rights and served as the VP for the first African American president. Andrew Yang was a dud. I expected more from him, and he spoke the least out of everyone.

@Shroom Hah, yeah. That image isn't very accurate but it does include a lot of the people running. I'll try to update with something better in the future.

Terminus

Forum Volunteer
but I think the attack from Kamala Harris on Joe Biden as a racist makes little sense when he did a lot for civil rights and served as the VP for the first African American president.

This is some "I have a Black friend" levels of deflection.

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend

This is some "I have a Black friend" levels of deflection.
This was from over 40 years ago. I think it makes as little sense as it did for people mentioning Bernie visiting the Soviet Union or praising Cuba during the last election cycle. Joe Biden co-sponsored the Equal Rights Amendment, supported the Voting Rights Act as well as the Equity Act and voted for the Civil Rights Act in 1990, so this is rather ridiculous that people claim this action from 40 years ago brands him as a segregationist and a racist.

Terminus

Forum Volunteer
This was from over 40 years ago. I think it makes as little sense as it did for people mentioning Bernie visiting the Soviet Union or praising Cuba during the last election cycle. Joe Biden co-sponsored the Equal Rights Amendment, supported the Voting Rights Act as well as the Equity Act and voted for the Civil Rights Act in 1990, so this is rather ridiculous that people claim this action from 40 years brands him as a segregationist and a racist.
"Yes officer, I murdered him but it was a long time ago, so let bygones be bygones."

Time passing does not undo the awful things people have done, and if someone wants to be elected to the most powerful office in the world, they better expect to have their professional actions follow them.

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend
"Yes officer, I murdered him but it was a long time ago, so let bygones be bygones."

Time passing does not undo the awful things people have done, and if someone wants to be elected to the most powerful office in the world, they better expect to have their professional actions follow them.
Yes, I agree that his vote was the wrong thing to do, and he was also big on the War on Drugs during the 80s and 90s, but he also has a history of supporting civil rights, so I think it's unfair for people to focus on what he did wrong and not also mention all he's done right.

It looks to me like Biden and Harris are going to be the main players this time around, as for who wins, I think we'll be able to see the writing on the wall pretty soon; the best thing about primary elections. Kamala might have an advantage in the modern political climate's demand for a female president, but Joe Biden is a familiar name and he'll no doubt have the almighty presidential endorsement from Obama, so that should be enough to win him the moderate Democrats.

Now Bernie Sanders, while I'm not expecting him to win, may become a wild card in this matchup, depending on how long he lasts. He'll absorb a lot of support from the younger voter base (mostly the upper class college kid types) but where they will go after him is anyone's guess.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yes, I agree that his vote was the wrong thing to do, and he was also big on the War on Drugs during the 80s and 90s, but he also has a history of supporting civil rights...
Biden's history of political decision making demonstrates that he has no particular political stance or ideology. He's all over the map. He bases his decisions solely on whatever has his best interests satisfied at the moment. This means that he has no solid platform to campaign on. He'll have trouble getting across to voters when they can't determine what he stands for. And this is a particular problem now that politicians can't get away with campaigning on vague intentions and loose promises anymore. People are sick of it and it's a major reason why they elected Trump. Trump campaigned on a clear platform. He effectively communicated the intentions of his administration and appealed to the interests of voters. Hillary had this same problem last time. Biden has a lot of the same problems hillary had. He's hillary 2.0

Not that any of the candidates stand a chance, but if Biden gets the nomination it will be a repeat of last time.

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
Biden's history of political decision making demonstrates that he has no particular political stance or ideology. He's all over the map. He bases his decisions solely on whatever has his best interests satisfied at the moment. This means that he has no solid platform to campaign on. He'll have trouble getting across to voters when they can't determine what he stands for. And this is a particular problem now that politicians can't get away with campaigning on vague intentions and loose promises anymore. People are sick of it and it's a major reason why they elected Trump. Trump campaigned on a clear platform. He effectively communicated the intentions of his administration and appealed to the interests of voters. Hillary had this same problem last time. Biden has a lot of the same problems hillary had. He's hillary 2.0

Not that any of the candidates stand a chance, but if Biden gets the nomination it will be a repeat of last time.
Biden could make his new intentions clear. Donald Trump has before stated he would be a democrat afterall.

Misty

Ronin
My instinct says the only person on that list who could beat Trump is Bernie. I'm suspicious that the establishment is setting Tulsi up to be the next Obama, but I really don't think she has what it takes to beat Trump. If Biden gets it, we almost certainly have four more years of making America great.

Personally, I don't vote, and I care about as much as I do about sports (except I know about these sports). I'm betting Trump wins again because nothing has really changed except that everyone is more tribal and the blue collar forgotten class who put him in office feels the country is headed in a better direction. I'll be in stitches if the progressives prove me wrong by finally putting up a candidate who can convincingly lie about caring for the blue collar while ALSO supporting a progressive/welfare agenda.

MW7

I've been following the democratic primary pretty closely. I feel like there's a pretty good chance that the nominee is one of Biden, Harris, or Warren. Bernie is pretty much screwed with Warren in the mix, Buttigieg seems to be having trouble gaining traction with minority voters, O'Rourke's bubble has already burst it seems, and Klobuchar/Booker don't seem to be gaining much traction in general. The remaining candidates seem to have virtually no chance even with about 7 months before the Iowa caucuses.

I guess that Warren will be the nominee, and Harris will be the second last standing. It's pretty wide open at this point though, and I find it interesting to watch how things play out. I'd vote for any of the 20 candidates who debated over Trump and hope any of them can beat him. I think a lot of it is out of their control though, and the election will turn into a referendum on Trump.

In all likelihood, the Senate will remain Republican unless 2020 is an unusually strong year for Democrats so us left-leaning people are all kind of screwed anyway. Obama had 60 Democratic senators for a brief period, he had to settle for a center-right healthcare law just to pass some kind of systemic improvement, and Republicans successfully created a frenzy out of that in 2010 to derail anything else major passing. In a dream scenario Democrats might have 51 senators including very moderate ones so even Biden and Klobuchar's modest centrist proposals have little chance of being implemented this time around. In summary I'm not feeling like the 2020s will be a good time to be liberal even if we win the presidency back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom