• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2017 Switch Sales Outsell Wii U Lifetime Sales

We knew the Switch would outsell the Wii U lifetime during its first 12 months on sale, but we weren't sure it would do so in its first calendar year on sale.

The Switch has sold 14.86 million units as of December 31, 2017. That's 1.3 million units more than Wii U lifetime sales.

sales5nk7c.png

Absolutely amazing from the Switch.

Are you surprised by this news or did you expect the Switch to outsell the Wii U lifetime in 2017?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Not surprising. I actually liked the Wiii U. Under any different name that didn't associate it with the Wii it'd have done a lot better. Too bad it flopped

Excellent news for Nintendo and for Nintendo fans. There was no doubt it would outsell Wii U's lifetime sales, although I didn't think it would be done before a single year was even up. A large part of the Wii U's failure was its disastrous marketing and message (among other things like Nintendo's tone-deafness to consumers), but it seems they've learned their lesson and done a complete 180 on the Switch.

Here's hoping we find out what to expect from 2018 software-wise pretty soon, they'll need to get fans informed and up to date if they want this momentum to continue.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Is anyone even shocked? I feel like the wii u is gonna be one of those rare consoles in the future that cost a small fortune just because no one bought it originally.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well done, Switch! I loved my Wii U, but the Switch definitely had the much better marketing, the much more marked-wide appeal with the 2in1 approach, so not surprised at all that it's doing this great :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom