• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild 20 years vs. 100 years

The time gap in BotW should have been 20 years, to make the story have way more impact. Other than Impa, Purah and Robbie, the entire world seems to have moved on from the Calamity. But, if it were only 20 years ago, the post-apocalyptic setting would still be as post-apocalyptic, but also there would be a greater connection between the remaining Hyruleans and those that were lost to the Calamity. Nothing would be much different, other than Teba being a kid when Revali was still alive, Yunobo being a kid when Daruk was still alive and Sidon needing to either be aged up in the flashbacks or aged down in the modern-day. Thoughts?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't think the time gap matters much because the areas that are thriving were areas that weren't impacted by the Calamity much to begin with. Central Hyrule got the brunt, and it didn't spread too far from there. So the rest of the world never had anything to move on from.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
All the settlements we see are barely affected by the calamity anyway, nobody really lives in much fear.

Honestly BoTWs storytelling wasn't great and they could have done a lot better. Firstly a major problem is having Ganon be there at the beginning for the player to fight. Ganon should not even have been revealed until a few dungeons in. It severely restricts storytelling and development.

There should have been a fearful older generation who experienced the first calamity and expected it to return and then a younger generation of skeptics who think it's just the fear mongering of old fools and that Ganon is sealed for good.

Link should get to know the settlements and characters. Then the calamity returns and starts to circle Hyrule castle after a few dungeons in. After this point you see how the villagers react to it. Like in Majora's mask some are in denial of the impending apocalypse and some are incredibly fearful and act erratically. You get to see how it changes people. And as the monsters start getting stronger and the Yiga start to appear this could even intensity people's fear and lead to them taking drastic actions and offering new side quests for link to help them out.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Botw had an issue very similar to that of wind waker where it just doesn't feel like there's any real danger or threat. I mean subconsciously you know- zelda's time is running out, calamity ganon will break free, chaos will ensue. But you don't feel it. The villages are safe and tranquil, nobody in any real danger (aside from the divine beasts but it feels like a very vague threat). Travelers can wander pretty much problem free except for the idiot npcs who get jumped at the same time in the same place every day. Monsters are sparce, and ruined towns just feel like relics of a past with little relevance. And the problem with a plot like that, a pain you can't feel, is that you as the player want to feel it. You want to see the way calamity ganon affects the people of hyrule. You want to see citizens mourning the loss of friends and a society now lost. You want to see them carrying on, bravely and stubbornly rebuilding as the threat of ganon looms over their head like an incoming shadow. Instead what we get is a bunch of zoras who remember the past but decide it was all Link's fault, a bunch of townspeople blissfully growing carrots in their dull tranquil villages, and travelers looking to the once capital and saying "well that's a funny looking storm cloud. Wonder if it's guarding anything shiny." Therin lies the problem with games like botw and ww- the threat seems too far gone to be relevant. The people don't have a thing to worry about outside of pig herding, and Link is bearing on his shoulders the weight of a world that just doesn't seem like it needs saving. If you can forget what you're fighting for your narrative isn't strong enough.

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Is that REALLY an issue for wind waker? Aside from the cursed sea segment of course, I know we aren't talking about that
In my opinion, yes. The entire force driving of the game at the beginning is "my sister is kidnapped." The only person really affected is Link and the fathers of the other missing girls, but it doesn't seem like anybody else is in trouble. Even when Ganondorf comes into the picture- you know that he means to threaten the world, but he doesn't really do anything. Nobody in the overworld sees a problem, because thus far there isn't one. Because of that it doesn't feel like you're fighting for anything. You can sail around from sunny island and completely forget what the game is about. There's simply no motivation.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Botw had an issue very similar to that of wind waker where it just doesn't feel like there's any real danger or threat. I mean subconsciously you know- zelda's time is running out, calamity ganon will break free, chaos will ensue. But you don't feel it. The villages are safe and tranquil, nobody in any real danger (aside from the divine beasts but it feels like a very vague threat). Travelers can wander pretty much problem free except for the idiot npcs who get jumped at the same time in the same place every day. Monsters are sparce, and ruined towns just feel like relics of a past with little relevance. And the problem with a plot like that, a pain you can't feel, is that you as the player want to feel it. You want to see the way calamity ganon affects the people of hyrule. You want to see citizens mourning the loss of friends and a society now lost. You want to see them carrying on, bravely and stubbornly rebuilding as the threat of ganon looms over their head like an incoming shadow. Instead what we get is a bunch of zoras who remember the past but decide it was all Link's fault, a bunch of townspeople blissfully growing carrots in their dull tranquil villages, and travelers looking to the once capital and saying "well that's a funny looking storm cloud. Wonder if it's guarding anything shiny." Therin lies the problem with games like botw and ww- the threat seems too far gone to be relevant. The people don't have a thing to worry about outside of pig herding, and Link is bearing on his shoulders the weight of a world that just doesn't seem like it needs saving. If you can forget what you're fighting for your narrative isn't strong enough.

With BoTw it doesn't help that you are told you are meant to be saving someone who from the memories is in my opinion quite dislikeable.

The wind waker on the other hand is a much more personal journey it's about saving your sister who is a very likeable character from the get go and then Tetra/Zelda who is also very likeable. You just also happen to be potentially saving the world doing it. It's not like MM or OOT where the world is in the process of going to hell or has already done so and therefore adds that additional motivator.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yeah, really can't agree with the bit about ganondorf because you can clearly see him exerting his influence over the world, the cursed sea segment and chuchus spawning on outset island where there previously were none, stuff like that
He is doing stuff. In botw he isn't

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Yeah, really can't agree with the bit about ganondorf because you can clearly see him exerting his influence over the world, the cursed sea segment and chuchus spawning on outset island where there previously were none, stuff like that
He is doing stuff. In botw he isn't
Oh yeah I'd forgotten that section, good point. I retract my stand to a partial degree. While there is a clear influence, the citizens still remain generally unperturbed.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
what would also help if it was 20 years instead is it would make more sense for zoras to have animosity towards link for mipha's passing, if it were 20 years then yeah, it makes sense that there's plenty of zora's who still remember it clearly and hold a grudge

but its been 100 stupid years, you old mfers shouldn't even be alive

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I feel like it's less the actual gap and more what the game does with that gap. BotW makes a point of saying that the specific settlements we see in game were spared the wrath of the Calamity largely due to geometry. With that in mind, they probably wouldn't look too different even if we stepped back 80 years in time.

I think the game jump would matter most if all of Hyrule were devastated and struggling to rebuild. If that were the case, the 20 versus 100 year gap would be more significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom