• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

15-Year-Old Set On Fire Over Video Game Debt

Kotaku said:
Florida teenager Michael Brewer was intentionally set on fire at a Deerfield Beach, Florida apartment complex and suffered second-degree burns over 80 percent of his body. Five youths from his school are in police custody.

According to police, Brewer owed one of the suspects US$40 for a video game. This unpaid video game debt apparently led the suspect to steal the victim's father's bicycle, reports CNN.

Brewer reported that the bicycle was stolen, leading to the suspect's arrest. The suspect was released from a detention center earlier this week on Monday morning.

The suspect and the victim did not attend school on Monday.

On Tuesday, Brewer was waiting for friends at an apartment complex when he was approached by the suspect. According to eye-witness reports and from what the juveniles have told authorities, the suspect screamed, "He's [Brewer] a snitch, he's a snitch" and "pour it on him." Another suspect then threw what's believed to be rubbing alcohol on Brewer, before setting the victim ablaze with a lighter.

"A couple of them last night were laughing about it," said sheriff's Sgt. Steve Feeley. "One of them arrested today seems genuinely sorry about it."

One witness told CNN affiliate WPLG, "I saw a kid throwing something at the other kid, and next thing you know, the kid was on fire. He was up in fire."

According to WPLG, an apartment resident extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher, and the teenager jumped into the complex's swimming pool.

"In my 31 years — I always say, 'it's the most heinous crime I've ever seen,'" Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti said. "This one fits in that category. The fact that a person would intentionally ignite another child on fire — it's indescribable."

Brewer is expected to remain in the hospital for the next five months to recover from his burns.
It's amazing... the stupid things that people will do over video games. Babylonian law FTW!

Thoughts?

Skull_Kid

"Innocent Sin"
When the pokémon trading card debutted in Japan, a kid stabbed another because of a 1ST edition Charizard... I am not surprised to see this, as there are kids stupid enough to re-enact what they see in videogames

When the pokémon trading card debutted in Japan, a kid stabbed another because of a 1ST edition Charizard... I am not surprised to see this, as there are kids stupid enough to re-enact what they see in videogames
I do not remember that one. I do remember someone shooting their parents over Halo 3. I believe he killed one of them, and the other one barely got away because the bullet zinged past her head.

-.-

B

Blood Wolf

What idiots. It's a game, and stealing something for that? What is the point in that? And setting a kid afire because of that? This is just... Ugh. I'm very disgusted with this, but it's been done and nothing can stop it from not happening.

Hopefully the kids involved get a nice stay in some juvenile prison for a few years to think over how stupid it is to light a kid on fire over something like that.

DreamDevourer

Born to Fail
Kill the brats. Screw Babylon.

These worms deserve to die.

Why? One video game. Thats all it takes to drive these kids off the edge? Well, what'll they do later in life over something more serious?

On second thought, let me kill them.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I don't think the word disturbing is disturbing enough to describe this horrendous incident... Setting a kid on fire because he 'snitched'.

What the heck has happened to this world.

I wonder what game it was... Unfortunately it's not too far from reality. There are some serious psychotic people in this world. I just had a friend of mine, who is female, beaten by her boyfriend with a baseball bat, while the boyfriend's friend held her down. But that's off topic. The point is - people are just damn crazy to even consider doing stuff like this and need help...

Wow this is sad.
The poor kid got burned because of video games.

I bet that the media will try to blame all of this on violate video games.
Stuff like this makes me worry about the future of mankind.
If we are going to have fights over video games, then mankind is doomed.

W

Wolf Link Rules

Wow they did that over a videogame.If it was zelda FSA I probaly would too!(not really just joking)

Hanyou

didn't build that
Wow they did that over a videogame.If it was zelda FSA I probaly would too!(not really just joking)
Please don't make jokes like this in the MD in the future unless you have something genuine to contribute.:)

This sort of thing is terrible, yes, but not just because it was over a video game. The fact that people would treat each other this way at all is terrible. Unfortunately, it's neither new nor isolated, and I can hardly say I'm surprised.

Poor kid did nothing wrong.

Steve

5/19/13
This is a pretty pathetic incident, not even so much that it was started by a video game, but just the fact that it happened at all. Seems to me he was simply pissed about having been sent to JUV, which clearly didn't set him straight at all.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Yeah, but those 1st edition Charizards were worth a bit more than $40.

Seriously, people are so stupid. It's what happens when they get addicted to games... I just feel sorry for the poor boy. He probably just borrowed some games or something.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Why steal a bike over only $40 of game debt! I mean they could have discussed the debt with Brewer's parents, Brewer would pay up and there would be no bike theft. Even if the bike was stolen, anyone who suspects someone would steal their parent's bike would turn that person in. I can't believe one could be set on fire for taking responsibility for their property. Suing $40 is much better than stealing one's bike and then burning them afterwward.

Skull_Kid

"Innocent Sin"
Yeah, but those 1st edition Charizards were worth a bit more than $40.

Seriously, people are so stupid. It's what happens when they get addicted to games... I just feel sorry for the poor boy. He probably just borrowed some games or something.
I know, I had 3 of them, and at the time, traded/sold one for a brand new GBC+Pokémon Yellow+GBC LINK CABLE+a ton of rare cards+ 250 euro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom