• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler 10th Enemy Has The Bomb

Just out of curiosity, in the original Legend Of Zelda for NES, if you heard the Old Man's quote: "10th Enemy Has The Bomb" and didn't know it was a mistranslation, what would you have thought it meant?

i would have assumed it meant that a certain enemy in that dungeon had bombs for you to get if you beat them. anyone else?

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
It was actually a mistranslation. It should actually be "Look for the Lion Key".

They must have meant to change it, I mean there is no way someone can mess up something about a Lion Key and turn it into "10th Enemy" and "Bombs". If you are paid to translate you can't be that bad. They must have meant to change it or some weird thing I don't know, very odd.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Same goes for the "Eastmost peninsula is the secret" quote. Well, if the english version was translated by japanese employees (no localization staff were mentioned in the credits), it does not surprise me very well. Two years ago, after a concert, I was interviewed by a japanese girl (about my impressions of the artist). She handed me a piece of paper with a couple of questions asked in german. And the grammar were full of mistakes. A few questions does not even made a sense. The same goes for the english language. When it comes to foreign languages, japanese people do have many problems with them. Even with common languages like English. So, 25 years ago, there maybe wasn't any foreign translators and the stuff had to do it by themselfs. These cryptic quotes from The Legend of Zelda will be a secret to everybody, forever ;)

I hope my postings makes more sense ;)

fisharox

Black Ops is my life
wow another mistranslation on the original Zelda! lol they even messed up miyamot's name in the final credits(someone would have lost their job for that).

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
Wow. That's quite a mistranslation. What I find really funny is that it says "Triforce with Power" and "Triforce with Wisdom." Haha, lazy translations.

It's not lazy considering Japanese is actually very hard to translate. And for the first game ever in the Legend of Zelda series, it's completely understandable.

LOL xD, that was funny, I should admit I never knew about that one, I suppose when I played LoZ I just left the old man in his craziness

It was actually a mistranslation. It should actually be "Look for the Lion Key".
i'm well aware it was a mistranslation. i'm asking if we didn't know that it was a mistranslation, what would we think it meant.

Same goes for the "Eastmost peninsula is the secret" quote. Well, if the english version was translated by japanese employees (no localization staff were mentioned in the credits), it does not surprise me very well. Two years ago, after a concert, I was interviewed by a japanese girl (about my impressions of the artist). She handed me a piece of paper with a couple of questions asked in german. And the grammar were full of mistakes. A few questions does not even made a sense. The same goes for the english language. When it comes to foreign languages, japanese people do have many problems with them. Even with common languages like English. So, 25 years ago, there maybe wasn't any foreign translators and the stuff had to do it by themselfs. These cryptic quotes from The Legend of Zelda will be a secret to everybody, forever ;)

i believe that eastmost peninsula is the secret was not a mistranslation. maybe it was slightly, but i think it boils down to the moblin hideout in the north-east.

your grammar is flawless. just saying.

Last edited:

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
Hmmm.... I always though that "Eastmost Peninsula is the Secret" referred to the Triforce being in the Easternmost area of the dungeon. However, that particular one has multiple possibly meanings, so consider it "universal advice". I suppose bad translations are not bad things at all. I would think that, with the speed of production of games in the past, it was not always possible to go over every possible translation with a "fine tipped comb". Even so, I'm certain a great deal was from either laziness or difficulty of the language in general. Either way, can we really complain? Without poor translations, I would not be able to inform a friend that "All your base are belong to us".
My apologies for the reference..... It was coming as soon as this topic was started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom