• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

100% Without a Guide or Wiki???

Hi! This is my first post :).

Anyway, I've always wondered, when people complete a Zelda game 100%(do all side quests and collect everything) do they mean they did it without a guide or wiki? Is that even possible? I mean, I don't suck at Zelda or anything and I can usually figure out all puzzles and stuff(though not always), but some things that are optional, like the trading sequences I just CANNOT complete without a guide or wiki(I usually look at zeldawiki.com or zeldapedia(zelda.wikia.com)) for help, because I often have NO IDEA what do to next. I would have to talk to every single person in the whole game and have an incredible memory to know who to trade with. Also some things you have to do later in the game or at a different time(Majora's Mask).

So, when people say they have completed a Zelda game 100%, do they really mean they did it without a guide or wiki, or that they have just done everything in the game, but kind of cheated a few times using a guide or wiki?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
A 100% run means that the player has completed everything in the game, nothing left for him/her to do. Now if this was done with or without a guide doesn't change the fact that they completed the game 100%.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well done for your first post! :)

Yeah what Zorth said...A 100% playthrough just means that you completed the game, collected all items, upgrades ect. This can be done with a guide or without but the real accomplishment is not using a guide or any help from a Wiki!

OK :). And I did NOT except to get 2 replies in 20 minutes. Damn! This seems like a pretty good forum :). Thank you.

Deeds

no text
Like the others have said, whether you've used a walkthrough/guide or you've done it by yourself (unlikely), it'll still be considered as 100%ing the game. I assume that if someone has managed to do that without a guide, they'd probably mention it. Haha.

Like the others have said, whether you've used a walkthrough/guide or you've done it by yourself (unlikely), it'll still be considered as 100%ing the game. I assume that if someone has managed to do that without a guide, they'd probably mention it. Haha.

Haha probably :).

Out of the three Zelda games I own and play regularly (WW, SS, TP), I can normally complete TP and SS 100% without a guide, when I did use guides in the early playthroughs of those games I could never 100% them because I was too inexperienced to be able to do so.

Have never 100% completed Wind Waker due to the amount of sailing that would entail, the fact that some of the characters are hard to to take pictographs of if they only appear onscreen for a second (so you can turn them into figurines) AND also having to play the Song Of Passing twice for each figurine to be made.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Most of the time when people say 100%, they just mean do everything that's possible within /normal/ bounds of the game. No getting glitched items, no CCing OoT/MM, etc. This could be with or without a guide, but chances are (in the old days, at least) they did it without a guide.

Don't get me wrong, Zelda games can be difficult depending upon the flavor of person playing it, but I personally believe MOST Zeldas to be easy enough to 100% without a guide (except TMC because kinstone fusions are based around time slots). Guides obviously make things easier and if you need to use a guide, go ahead! No penalty on needing a bit of help, right? ;)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You can 100% a game with a guide. I suggest you don't use one. Not only is it possible, but it's exceedingly easy.

It's not that hard to beat a Zelda game 100% without a guide, it'll just take a very, very long time. I beat WW nearly 100% WITH a guide, but that was when I was in elementary school and time didn't really matter. I beat the main quest of SS without a guide, but I went back to that stone thing with the hint movies every so often.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
I wouldn't call using a strategy guide cheating, but yes, I force myself to beat games without using them. I feel as if you get a better run through the game if you don't use them, because you actually have a sense of achievement, rather just having having a check-off list like "Okay, I just got this heart at this place, now I need to go to Lanayru Desert to get the last one".

A 100% run means that the player has completed everything in the game, nothing left for him/her to do. Now if this was done with or without a guide doesn't change the fact that they completed the game 100%.

Simply put, ^...

I personally do not think it is too hard to complete a game 100 percent without a strategy guide, wiki, or cheating device of some sort. Every game that I have 100%'d was completed without said tools, and all it took was a bit of time and patience. To be honest, I didn't even know that strategy guides and the like existed back when I first played A Link to the Past - my first Zelda.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Man, it would be SOOO cool if you could complete a game 100% (which means doing the full story and all the side quests and stuff) without looking at a single walkthrough! I mean, I can hardly get past the main story without looking up what to do sometimes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom