• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

100% Completion Confusion

So I (and I assume others) are a bit confused on the opinion of "100%ing," a game. It's come to my knowledge that many people have very different opinions on what 100%ing truly means. I basically made this thread so people could share their opinions and both add something to their definition of 100%, and possibly removing small things that some people find redundant (eg; getting 2000 points on the Gerudo Archery minigame.) Anyways, this'll mainly go over the 3 things that people find most confusing and debatable.

- Remakes

Okay, so starting it off with remakes. This is probably an easily dismissed one that I'm just overthinking, but let's say you just 100%'d Wind Waker HD; would that count for Wind Waker as well? Sure, there are some pretty big differences (lack of Tingle Tuner, modified Triforce Shard collection, Swift Sail) but they're overall almost the same thing. Still, it's just such a jarring and confusing debate, I'd really like to know if there's an opinion on it.

- Multiplayer

Personally, I think this is the biggest and most game changing detail. Should multiplayer count for 100% in Zelda? I'll give a fast example that most of us can probably recognize; Tri Force Heroes. Personally, I think only getting every single Drabland Challenge completed in single player counts, since
1. Not everybody has stable wifi, and
2. Not everybody has friends they can easily play with
However, this sometimes has an affect on single player; specifically, aLttP/FS. In this title, FS unlocks things in aLttP and vice versa. However, this also ties back into the remake argument, so if you completed aLttP at a different time and then FSAE, then would it also count?

- The Menu Debate

Many people debate whether if the menu screen holds any ground in this. Basically, it goes like this: If it's not on the menu, it doesn't count. Obviously, this can be interchangeable between games, such as TFH, where there really isn't a set in stone "menu," but in games like OoT and WW, where there are menus, does it apply? I've seen this argument mostly used in OoT and ALBW, specifically with the unlockable cow and giant cucco (I'll go ahead and state my opinion that I consider them non-necessary.) Since these two unlockables don't show up on the menu screen (like maximum heart pieces, or a fully upgraded sword,) they don't count. However, I'd like to know what other people think of this.

Overall, this thread was mainly to made to accumulate the many different ideas of how Zelda games were regarded towards 100%ing (please don't post a link to Zelda Wiki's 100% completion page, it's one of the sources that I'm actually talking about it when it comes to confusion) and so people could come up with new or bring back old ideas. Thanks for reading! :keese:

To me what you say makes total sense. I agree. But in the end if you are 100% happy with what you've done at the end of the game then you've 100% it. If someone feels the need to torture themselves to get 2k in the horseback archery or other crazily hard tasks, that's their choice. Some find it fun, some do not.

The only 100% checklists that matter are the ones from the gaming sites, when you are 100% speedrunning a game. That website will tell you everything you need to do for their definition of 100%.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
To me what you say makes total sense. I agree. But in the end if you are 100% happy with what you've done at the end of the game then you've 100% it. If someone feels the need to torture themselves to get 2k in the horseback archery or other crazily hard tasks, that's their choice. Some find it fun, some do not.

The only 100% checklists that matter are the ones from the gaming sites, when you are 100% speedrunning a game. That website will tell you everything you need to do for their definition of 100%.

100% to me means collecting map, Big Key, Compass in a dungeon all collectables outside of it, This doesn't include chests mostly due to rupee constraints if pushed i'd also say that completing minigames with the best score is part of it but not a required one as most minigame require a near flawless score to get the collectable.

I like your all's participation on the thread (makes me really happy since it's my first :)) but I'd more like to see what you'd all think of the confusing subjects; eg Big Plays necessary for 100% in PH, or all 50 Streetpass Medals in aLBW.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I like your all's participation on the thread (makes me really happy since it's my first :)) but I'd more like to see what you'd all think of the confusing subjects; eg Big Plays necessary for 100% in PH, or all 50 Streetpass Medals in aLBW.

To me the Big Plays are impossible for 100% on PH these days and the Streetpass thing is notoriously difficult if you live where there are few people but ALBW i believe set up an auto streetpass to occur once a day.

100% for PH doesn't include Big Plays and 100% for ALBW doesn't include the Streetpass challenges HOWEVER i do think the Streetpass challenges are additional so i tend to count it as 100% for all the stuff and 125% for all the stuff Plus the Streetpass.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask my question real fast; do you all consider both single AND multi necessary for 100% in TFH (Drabland challenge-wise,) or just single (or even multi itself, depending on who you ask?)

I kind of consider both necessary since many things work way different in Single Player. Since it's no fun to me, I've given up on 100%ing that game for now.

So here's a list of the Zelda games of completed 100% and what I did

Twilight Princess
  • every heart piece
  • every golden bug
  • magic Armor
  • every Poe soul
  • Cave of Ordeals completed
  • every type of fish caught
  • Frog & Sinking lures
  • every bottle
  • every chest opened
  • every hidden skill
  • giant quiver
  • all four bomb bags
  • giant bomb bag
The Wind Waker HD
  • every heart piece
  • every sunken chest found
  • every chest opened
  • Nintendo Gallery completed
  • Savage Labyrinth completed
  • magic armor
  • all decorations available
Skyward Sword
  • every heart piece
  • every Goddess Cube
  • every chest opened
  • every Gratitude Crystal
  • all items fully upgraded (at least one of each for the biggest seed satchel, bomb bag, and quiver)
  • Hylian Shield obtained
  • Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round completed
  • every medal
  • every extra wallet

for the latter two I completed the game in Hero Mode if that makes any difference. As far as multiplayer goes, I definitely wouldn't consider it necessary for, say, Phantom Hourglass, because the servers for its multiplayer component are no longer active, and even for games where it is still possible I'd lean towards no because it requires something beyond the player's own skill - namely, other people. On the other hand - and I don't have this game yet so take this with the appropriate amount of salt - in Tri Force Heroes the multiplayer aspect seems to be a big focus of the game, so maybe in that case it should count. I don't know. Basically I think that's up to the player's personal interpretation - if someone told me they had completed A Link Between Worlds 100%, I wouldn't call them out if it turned out they didn't have all the Streetpass achievements. To answer your other question, when talking about it I tend to just say, "I've finished The Wind Waker 100%," even though I did it in WWHD. It doesn't really seem like an issue to me; especially since I completed all the Tingle Tuner stuff back in the day.

Last edited:

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
As far as the speed running community goes, 100% is what can be collected single player, and shows up in your inventory - maximum upgrade. For example, OoT 100% includes all heart pieces, gold skulltulas, and bomb bag/quiver upgrades. It's not required to get the cow in your house, nor is planting every magic bean. ALttP is the same way, but everyone skips the boomerang, blue mail, and fire shield since you can get the final upgrades (magic boomerang, red mail, and mirror shield) without them. Bomb/arrow capacity upgrades aren't required since they don't show in your inventory (and are stupid to get). MC is weird, as 100% includes all the joy butterfly upgrades (which don't show on your inventory) and the mirror shield, the latter of which can only be obtained after defeating Vaati.

It really just comes down to what's obtainable in the game in my opinion. Generally, I stand on the side of "if it shows in your inventory, it's necessary for 100%", but it's something that's always open to interpretation.

As far as the speed running community goes, 100% is what can be collected single player, and shows up in your inventory - maximum upgrade. For example, OoT 100% includes all heart pieces, gold skulltulas, and bomb bag/quiver upgrades. It's not required to get the cow in your house, nor is planting every magic bean. ALttP is the same way, but everyone skips the boomerang, blue mail, and fire shield since you can get the final upgrades (magic boomerang, red mail, and mirror shield) without them. Bomb/arrow capacity upgrades aren't required since they don't show in your inventory (and are stupid to get). MC is weird, as 100% includes all the joy butterfly upgrades (which don't show on your inventory) and the mirror shield, the latter of which can only be obtained after defeating Vaati.

It really just comes down to what's obtainable in the game in my opinion. Generally, I stand on the side of "if it shows in your inventory, it's necessary for 100%", but it's something that's always open to interpretation.
Ah, thank you. Any chance you can give me a list of ZSR's definition of 100% for each game? I haven't been able to find it. :(

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
ZSR is a pretty bad resource. Generally a little out of date and something is terribly wrong with their coding. Use this site. You can click in the upper right to see the rules for each category (that one's for 100% OoT).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom