• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
Dr3W21
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About Trophies

• So I recently requested a picture for a signature and noticed that another user on a different thread also accepted the offer. I just want to make sure you don't take offense if I choose the other users design instead of yours.
    Oh, Pablo Honey...why is the only bearable track Creep? (imo). Glad you enjoyed Pikul. It is truly some of their best stuff.

I was wondering if you wanted to try something out. Maye open the musical mind up a bit?
    I actually got around to watching that one live acoustic set you put up on the thread. God, they're great acoustic. But I noticed something pretty cool:

When they start divulging into home towns, and after Brian says Nikki is from Miami, Nikki mentions "home of Thurston Moore". Thurston is the lead guitarist, vocalist, and brainchild of Sonic Youth. ;)
    Yeah, I like the Silversun Pickups! I haven't listened to them in awhile though. I will have to look them up again. I have been listening to M83, Muse, and anime music lately. I love that song I sent you. I also enjoy the piano from Sunburn.
    Sonic Youth was one of SSPU musical influences, and it really shows, like in songs like Common Reactor or Well thought Out Twinkles. They are an interesting band, and not all their stuff can be enjoyed as some of the other (honestly, a lot of it can be just noise and nothing else), but if you get the right albums (Daydream nation, Dirty, Goo, and Rather Ripped being my top 4), you can't go wrong.
    Yeah, I was the same way for a long time. Then I started getting into Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Cure, The Pixies, and Sonic Youth. Ever heard of Sonic Youth, perchance?
    Well, there's really a lot of good stuff by Hendrix, and if you like music in general, you'll like him. Get the album "Are You Experienced?" That one is iconic. Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Hey Joe, and Red House are some of the best ones. After you get a feel for those, check out his Live a Woodstock performance. The jam sessions on it are EPIC.
    I hav look some of those up then. I have seen a few, but its been quite a while. Do you listen to any Hendrix, particularly of the Jimi variety?
    Pikul has a real rough, indie feel to it. There's less electronics involved and a lot of acoustics. Kissing Families, my favorite SSPU song of al time is a bit like Lazy Eye in a way, with a very subtle and calm feel throughout it, until the end, where things go nuts and get very sporadic. Comeback Kid is very dark and in-your-face. An intense riff that repeats and is very bad ***. Booksmart Devil is calm, simplistic, and very drifty. The Fuzz starts out with a funky electronic mental breakdown, then chills to a badass bass, then has its own spikes, ups and downs. Creation Lake is a song Nikki, the bassist, sings herself, and is a cover of a song by the band The Movies. It is quite beautiful, probably the most delicate thing they have recorded before. All the Go Inbetweens... is the longest and coolest song, acoustic at first, then melded with sweet electricity and some intense singing. Be advised that after that song, there is a bunch of tracks with nothing at all on them to hide the track Sci-Fi Lullaby, a very relaxing and sleepy sort of song. Its an EP, as you may have already known, but it is still some of their best work, however rough and unpolished it may be.
    Well, Pikul is probably my favorite work by them. Kissing Families and All the Go Inbetweens... are two amazing ones by them. Then comes Carnavas, with Lazy Eye and Well Thought Out Twinkles, Swoon with The Royal We and Sort Of, and Neck of the Woods is my least favorite, but I still like it with songs like Bloody Mary and The Pit. The first album I ever owned was Carnavas.
    Didn't know you were into Silversun Pickups. I approve, they were the ones who actually got me into most of the music I listen to now. How much do you know by them?
    Yeah, I heard about that. But they haven't stopped making music or anything, they're just taking a break for side projects and stuff. They'll be back on day. It doesn't really matter because most of the guys in Mars Volta know how to make good music, so I accept the ideas of side projects wholeheartedly. It was a really good run, and they still have some really good music to go on, so all is not lost. I recommend De-Loused in the COmatorium (which you've heard), Amputecthure, and Frances the mute. They are all really good quality.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom