• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
Ventus
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About Trophies

• Vent's a Hylian Knight?!
    Objectivity in any argument is always important though if you want it to hold up against others. The thing is, to have had such a strong reaction to her in the first place, at its core there truly MUST have been a legitimate issue that caused it for you; once you can pinpoint exactly WHAT that source is, THAT'S when you have found your solid argument.

There is a trap that I think many fans fall into without realizing, when it comes to things they are emotionally charged about.
    The trap comes from this playout:

True Core Solid Argument -----(for what actually caused)-----> Emotional Reaction & Judgement
    Emotional Reaction & Judgement -------(leads to trap)------> Tendency to look for every possible little tidbit of info you can think of about the subject matter that you can bend to support your argument for justifying your emotional reaction

If you fall into that trap, then you run the risk of your argument sounding like complete and utter BS, despite the fact that your emotional reaction and judgement did have genuine backup buried somewhere deep within.
    In a solid argument, you should not be bending reasons to fit your argument, but rather FINDING the reasons that naturally LED to it. The reasons should form the argument, not the argument that should be driving you to form reasons---this is a really common trap though, and it just tends to happen because people have the argument already formed when they're trying to explain it to other people, and then they have to work backwards trying to come up with the right reasons to explain where that argument came from.
    (::NOTE:: When I say "you," I'm not referring to you specifically, just any person in general =P)

To get to the solidity of your argument, you have to not get caught up or distracted in finding anything to use that sounds relevant. You have to focus yourself on digging out the real reason hidden at the core that caused you to have the reaction you did, and then DRIVE it, NAIL it into the wall with bulls-eye clarity and precision.

My dislike of Hylia would cause me to fall into that trap too, where my emotional reaction may want me to have the tendency to point out anything that makes her look bad. However if I wanted to argue correctly about why I dislike her to other people to help them understand my perspective, I would need to avoid that trap because thinking of just anything unlikeable about her really has nothing to do with my argument, because those points wouldn't be part of the true reason of what actually ticked me off. For example, if I were to try to say something like "Hylia isn't even strong!" as part of my reasoning to other people, it would be an extremely irrelevant point for me to make (although we bantered lightly earlier =P), since it essentially has nothing to do with the genuine reasoning from which my argument had actually been founded. In other words, it would come off as a BS argument when placed on battlegrounds, which is why in finding the solidity of your argument, you have to be certain you are filtering all of those kinds of trivial irrelevancies out.

So after having had many months to dissect my reaction to Hylia, I can really strip away those irrelevancies and pinpoint for you without question the one seriously legitimate reason that caused the eruption of my anger at her. At its core, it really comes down to the fact that I absolutely, absolutely, indefinitely cannot STAND the notion that she would have had the power to manipulate or gain any control over the Hero's Spirit. I understand that it's because I may have a sensitivity to the Hero's Spirit that I think many people may not, but I have always viewed it as a sacred soul beyond the reaches of anyone's power ("HERO" to me by definition refers to someone with a (in the exact words of my Contemporary Art teacher a while back--) "Triumph of the Will," a spirit that soars beyond the reaches of any force and which cannot be taken control of,) and so essentially Skyward Sword with Hylia took my venerable and long respected and cared for view on the Hero's Spirit (which is very important to me) and TORE IT TO SHREDS BEFORE MY VERY EYES. I felt backstabbed and I resent her for it.

It is actually essentially the exact, EXACT same reason I hated the 3rd timeline split---defeat of the "Hero's Spirit" is OUTRAGEOUS to me. In exactly the same way, the thought that Hylia could marionette the "Hero's Spirit" I find outrageous to the very same FIRST degree, because to me that is exactly the same offense---defeat of the "Hero's Spirit" through the subjugation of his will.

It doesn't mean people can't still solidly disagree with me of course, but this is the genuine true core of reasoning for my reaction.

Also lmao congrats Van, despite how somewhat funny this is in light of the subject of our convo. =P Don't abandon HRs though!

P.S. holy moly didn't mean to make this VM that long ^ ^;; Sorry for taking up half the page xD
    Hah, so you actually did click it, perfect...always did like that theme, and think it works nicely.

But anyways, you're welcome.
    Congratulations on becoming Purple, young Ventus...and remember now, with great colour comes great responsibility.
    Hell ***ing yeah. Dude, you've earned it - all that hard work you've been putting in for months. I'm really happy for you, and I mean that. I actually smiled when I logged on and saw your name in purple. :) Enjoy it, and keep doing what you're doing.
    I don't think I've ever tried to get the Ultima Weapon in any of the games besides KH3D. Well, actually, I DID try to get it in Re: Coded once. At level 30.

I FAILED.
    Yeah, I have too. Although at first, I didn't know if I wanted to play Re: Coded, since it seemed to be all the same worlds from KH 1 but with different gameplay. But after seeing the final boss, I HAD TO GET IT.

BTW, in which games have you acquired the Ultima Weapon? I've only gotten it in KH3D.
    Congratulations, Ventus. Welcome to the Round Table :)

You totally deserve it. Keep being awesome ^^
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom