• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

your first negative zelda experience

We all love Zelda here (or try to) but we've all had our negative experiences despite how great the series is (such as Skyward Sword).

But what was your very first negative Zelda experience? What made you say 'i dont like/enjoy this' the very first time in Zelda?

MW7

My first negative Zelda experience was early on in my first Zelda game Link's Awakening. I made it to the second dungeon without issues, then was stuck in one of the first rooms that was dark with a torch puzzle. All you had to do was sprinkle magic powder on the torch to open the next door. For context I was about five years old, and this was before internet walkthroughs existed as far as I know. So anyway I didn't know you needed magic powder, and I also didn't know that there was a torch in the room I was stuck in because it was difficult to see in the dark room on a tiny Game Boy screen. I could not get past this room for at least four years, maybe more. I finally had my breakthrough when I found an old Nintendo Power magazine at the library that explained how to get the magic powder and that I had to use it on the torch in that room. I think it's safe to say that all other times I've been stuck in the series added together only amount to a fraction of the time that I was stuck on one of my first puzzles. I'm glad it didn't discourage me from the rest of the series.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I think it was ALBW, I loved the gameplay, but I thought the dungeons were really weak, and the story was so shoved to the side that I feared for the future of story telling in Zelda, likewise, I didn't like how Lorule just existed. Other than that, every game prior I loved, even PH and ST...now however, I'm so afraid for the future of the series what with TFH and the people trying to change Link, which I will not accept (I'd rather not be a fan than play a game where Link isn't a blond blue eyed hylian boy sans TLoZ and AoL as they existed prior to the finalization of Link's design,) that frankly I'm not even sure if I'm a fan anymore, which is a weird feeling as I've been a fan since I was like born.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It all began... 4 years ago...

SMS was a very talented and energetic writer who was very much so excited for a game called “Skyward Sword”. The game was hyped to be really great. When SMS got it he was so happy. Two months later he wasn't really satisfied, and his wrist kind of hurt.

The End.

Hmm… genuinely negative experiences, eh? This is a tough one. I don't count difficult or even frustrating parts as negative in a lot of the Zelda games, because they're not really frustrating. They're just part of it. I'd have to say I didn't have my first genuinely negative experience all the way until Skyward Sword. There's a part, many of you will likely remember, where you're supposed to use Scrapper to find the missing pinwheel for Skyloft. I could swear that I'd seen it somewhere before. I racked my brain, trying to remember as hard as I could. It had been ages since I'd seen it, and it was just a throwaway thing… I traversed the worlds back and forth for about 2 hours. Then I finally remembered where I'd seen it! I raced back to Eldin and down the hill where I'd destroyed a watch tower and there it was! Success! Seeing it was half buried in the sand, I quickly equipped my Gust Bellows and set to work freeing it… or so I thought. The Bellows had no effect. I tried everything I could, every item, calling on Fi, using the functions of the sword, everything. For probably another hour I used every tool and feature and trick I'd learned up to that point in the game. Not one thing made it budge. I was truly stumped. Then I went back up to Skyloft and tried asking around there, maybe scrapper needed some sort of upgrade to dig it out for me, maybe someone would give me yet another useless Sword feature, who knows. I ran back over to the tower where the pinwheel was supposed to be affixed, saw nothing. I spent more time wandering uselessly. At last I couldn't take it anymore. I did the unthinkable: I looked up the solution. As I read what it was I was supposed to do, I grew angry. So I walked back to the pinwheel tower and took a few more steps than I did before and triggered Mr. Not-Mario to come up and straight up tell me the answer THAT I ALREADY ****ING FIGURED OUT MYSELF. The solution to the puzzle had been be an idiot the whole time. There was absolutely zero excuse for this. There's no reason they couldn't have programmed that in for people who get stuck, and also made it so that simply finding the thing when you have Scrapper repaired and ready would also trigger it. Never, ever, ever again in a Zelda game should the actual, bonafide solution to a puzzle be "be straight up told how to solve it". I hated it because it rendered all that thinking, all that searching, useless. The amazing "AHA!" moment I finally got when I remembered where I'd seen it, the excitement of rushing over, the sense of reward when I saw that little pinwheel sitting in the dirt, wasted. Pointless. In making the solution the way they did, the designers penalized intelligence. This is, in my eyes, an utter failure in game and puzzle design in every sense of the word, and it's also the worst experience I've ever had in a Zelda game. Being killed 11 times by Thunderbird didn't sting so badly, because Thunderbird at least gave me catharsis when I killed it (as well as giving me a sense of accomplishment, as opposed to deflating it).

wasn't really satisfied, and his wrist kind of hurt.
Uuuhhhhhhhhh…………

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Four Swords Adventures.
I had Played OOT,MM, and Wind Waker. Then I saw there was a new GC Zelda which was FSA.
What even is this ****? I asked myself when I began to play. I ended up taking it back to the store a few days later it was so bad.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The first negative experience was in the game that would later become my fav game out of the series. I was playing TP in 2009 and it went well and then I got stuck with that stupid carriage part. I tossed the game aside and didn't play it for at least 1 year. In the meantime I finished OoT, WW and Spirit Tracks. Then I picked it up and finished the game in less than a week. The other negative experience is in MC when you have to collect all figurines. It's not that hard to do but man that ****ty system takes hours to finally finish! Everytime repeating the same ****ing process for one lame figurine.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
The first negative experience was in the game that would later become my fav game out of the series. I was playing TP in 2009 and it went well and then I got stuck with that stupid carriage part. I tossed the game aside and didn't play it for at least 1 year. In the meantime I finished OoT, WW and Spirit Tracks. Then I picked it up and finished the game in less than a week. The other negative experience is in MC when you have to collect all figurines. It's not that hard to do but man that ****ty system takes hours to finally finish! Everytime repeating the same ****ing process for one lame figurine.

Directly outside the door of Link's House, is a spot you can dig to acquire lots of money. I used this trick to afford lots of Mysterious Shells, which I then tried at the Figurine Lottery with high chance.

Bishop Rodan

Godslayer
Probably Twilight Princess. I was pretty hyped up for it for years, but what I got didn't live up. A lesson in not getting hyped for things.

Phourglass was just flat-out rubbish.

For me it'd be the entirety of Phantom Hourglass.

Wind Waker was and has always been my favourite Zelda game since its release on the Gamecube, when I heard that PH was gonna continue the story I was so happy and excited... Big mistake.

PH was a horrible mess, the graphics (not that I'm a stickler for that) were horrible, I just couldn't get over how Link looked like an old man, the DS just couldn't do the original WWGC art style justice with its limited power.

Then there were the controls, full stylus was a horrible idea. It was functional but in tense times it just became a car wreck. (Having to run to the right spot, equip the right weapon and use it before a Phantom got you after it had spotted you just resulted in a mess of unwanted commands and death)

And the Temple of the Ocean King was just the worst, I dont mind revisiting a temple when you see more of it each time, but having it reset and having it timed and having to be patient and use stealth was just a lesson in 'how to slam as many bad ideas into one place as you can'.

Then the sailing (which I loved in WW) was destroyed. Instead of having free control, you now had to trace a line and watch as the boat crawled to the destination as the game became a bad on rails shooter...

Also the ending was crap.

Don't get me wrong. Had PH been 3D on the GC with proper controls then I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. The world itself did feel like an extension of WW as did the characters and the boat upgrading was a cool idea, as were the three fairies to give the sword different spells... Being in 3D with button controls and more item slots probably would have made the Temple of the Ocean King functional enough to enjoy despite the repetition.

But there was just too much disappointment for the small gems to shine through.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Directly outside the door of Link's House, is a spot you can dig to acquire lots of money. I used this trick to afford lots of Mysterious Shells, which I then tried at the Figurine Lottery with high chance.
Yes I know. I used that spot all the time when I needed money to buy those shells. But it took a very long time :P

The most disappointing thing in a Zelda game for me had to be Skyward Sword's flying. I love the game, but the flying just killed it. There was so much potential for added features, like adding more islands to explore or a less irritating battle with Levias' parasite, taking inspiration from Wind Waker's islands.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
four sword adventures
probably my biggest issue i remember was that i couldn't save until i beat the stage,so i kinda....gave it away
though i do plan on giving it a 2nd chance,once/if i acquire it again ;-;

also i can't go w/o mentioning ocarina of time,which still remains one of the biggest let downs i've ever experienced

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom