• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
1667435666448.png

If you're of a certain age, split-screen multiplayer is just what you think of when you think of multiplayer. Four controllers plugged into a single console like an excess of noodly limbs and squinting at the one quarter of the TV displaying all five pixels of your play area. If a console game was announced to have multiplayer then it was going to be split-screen.

Unfortunately, we've long since entered the era of online dominated multiplayer. While such a thing isn't inherently bad, the prevalence of services such as Xbox Live and Playstation Plus have all but killed local multiplayer. Even the Halo series, once best known for its couch-based multiplayer shenanigans, scrapped local multiplayer starting in Halo 5. Even though I don't have an excuse to play local multiplayer games as much these days, it's still a change I don't care for.

Do you guys have any fond local memories from back before the dark ages, or do you have any games you currently play that still slip split-screen play somewhere in their pockets? For me it'd be Divinity Original Sin 2. One of my favorite games and with couch co-op to boot.,

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
For a while when my friend came over, we'd play Burnout 3 & Revenge among a couple others, we're about evenly matched in those games which is why we play it so often

A big stand out memory is playing Star Fox Assault 4 player with my friend and both our younger brothers when I was in 9th or 10th grade

otherwise there's several other smaller instances of playing splitscreen multiplayer w/ friends throughout the mid to late 2010s

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
For a while when my friend came over, we'd play Burnout 3 & Revenge among a couple others, we're about evenly matched in those games which is why we play it so often

A big stand out memory is playing Star Fox Assault 4 player with my friend and both our younger brothers when I was in 9th or 10th grade

otherwise there's several other smaller instances of playing splitscreen multiplier w/ friends throughout the mid to late 2010s

Aw man, Star Fox Assault's multiplayer always seemed so cool. It sucks I wasn't able to play it at the time.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I have a lot of great memories from my childhood involving multiplayer Goldeneye, Turok 2, Rush, the Mario Party & Kart games, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. N64 pure gold!

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I loved playing split screen with my siblings growing up. I have fond memories of playing ATV Off Road Fury and Halo split screen with my brother in his room. And me and my sister playing a lot of Double Dash. Sonic was a lot of fun in split screen, especially with the races. And so was Twisted Metal. Driving around forever trying to find each other and glancing at the other person's screen to try to get a sense of where they were at. I miss playing split screen, though a big part of it is probably just that I miss playing games with all my siblings.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Mario Party really hasn't been the same since the Nintendo 64 games. They were just meaner. Modern Mario Party just feels like weenie mode.
Mean to your palms XD

I do slightly agree to some extent. Current Mario Party is just a bit too happy-go-lucky... Everyone is always friends, and if something "bad" happens all NPC's try to tell you to cheer up and are overly friendly.
Worst of all are those lame high-fives...

MW7

I loved playing Mario Party 2, the Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 minigames, and 007 Nightfire multiplayer. One related thing I noticed that is less consistent now is games providing good AI bots. Some games just assume that you'll be playing online and don't have any options for playing against the AI. Perfect Dark had such great options for bots as an example. Usually I'd just be playing with one friend, and so we'd play 007 Nightfire against a bunch of AI characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom