• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler (OoT) Navi factually did need to interrupt Link that much.

"She was soooo annoying, she literally stops you to tell you what a door is."

Despite how Link is generally designed (literally being named Link because he is the link between the player and the Zelda games), you are not actually Link. You are merely playing as him. Navi stopped Link, to explain doors, for one simple reason.

Go through Kokiri Forest. Show me a screenshot of even a single door there. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to go through it.

You back yet? Yes you are. And you just realized there is not a single door in all of Kokiri Forest, except in the Great Deku Tree, which Link has never been in before. I guess you could count the Forest Temple, but Link also has never been there either. This means one thing: Link has never seen a door before, and doesn't know what they are.

So actually, Navi fully does need to stop Link and explain what a door is.

"Okay, but there is no need for her to stop you all the time."

This is the youngest Link by far. He is 10, and literally grew up isolated from civilization. It'd be like if you took a human baby, and raised them in a cave, then at 10 years of age, gave them a sword and shield and sent them to New York City. Do you seriously expect them to get anything done without constant guidance?

Then it gets exponentially worse, because he goes into a coma for 7 years, and essentially wakes up as a different species (Kokiri don't age, and he thought he was one). He is now a 10 year old whose entire existance should be wrong, in the body of a 17 year old.

I hate to tell you this, but 17 year olds are well, griefed by hormones, especially ones that have to do with below the belt. I mean, the dude tried to impress Malon so much she ended up giving him a freaking cow. That is not a goal someone in his situation would rationally have. You know it. I know it. So did the devs.

Navi would literally have to stop Link every few seconds after the coma, just to keep him on track. So in the end, she is actually less annoying than she would be if those events actually happened in real life, because she doesn't stop you anywhere near enough to be realistic.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think you have a solid reasoning to why it makes sense within the world, but here's the thing, it doesn't make it any less intrusive to the player, it is still a game

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I think you have a solid reasoning to why it makes sense within the world, but here's the thing, it doesn't make it any less intrusive to the player, it is still a game
To be fair. Ocarina of time was on the N64. So a lot of players were new to the concept of any sort of open world adventure rpg. There would probably be people who would get stuck because it never occurred to them that this wall is something you can climb, or that this door can be opened. Some players of that specific time would've had the same issues that op figured Link would have.

Btw I thought I'd add, my funniest Navi story was when she told me "Can you feel the cold wind blowing from Zora's domain?" while I was literally standing in the Death Mountain Crater. NO Navi, I CAN'T, I am currently STANDING INSIDE A VOLCANO.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
To be fair. Ocarina of time was on the N64. So a lot of players were new to the concept of any sort of open world adventure rpg. There would probably be people who would get stuck because it never occurred to them that this wall is something you can climb, or that this door can be opened. Some players of that specific time would've had the same issues that op figured Link would have.
the idea I had is to have navi hover over the door and flash the color of the A button, I'm certain most players would figure they're supposed to do something then notice the open door prompt on the UI

she does this anyway in certain spots in the game, some of which you can L target her, so just do the same in the first door w/o needing to spell it out to the player

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
there were no doors in kokiri forests?? so no privacy..and i had the same as ooccoo, i was dying cuz i think i fell in the lava in death mountian and shes telling me about cold winds....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom