• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will the stats get carried over?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I'm curious if there's any game sequels with this feature at all. Eg all your weapons, master sword and rune upgrades are carried over. Fi says there's a 1% probability that this will happen. But still it'd be cool

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I mean, the premise will seemingly involve fixing the Master Sword, which already assumes Link has it even though it's optional in Breath of the Wild. Would be weird if not highly unlikely for stats to carry over given that.

One oddly neat wrinkle in this setup IMO would be for the Link we'll be playing as to implicitly have beaten Ganon with three hearts.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Definitely. I mean, imagine how stupid it would be if in Metroid, Samus had to get her upgrades and powers back every ga-wait a minute!

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I understand games needed to clear out your inventory so that you don't start the game overpowered but story wise it's incredibly annoying. So what, did Hestu suddenly realize he needed all those inventory spaces and take them back? Maybe ALL of Link's items suffer from the weapon durability and just magic out of existence when you beat calamity ganon. Whatever the case it's highly unlikely they'll let us keep anything from botw in totk.

It's one thing that worries me a little. And not just because of the stats, but the exploration as well... It seems we are dealing with the first true sequel in the franchise's history. Even more so than MM was for OoT, since it seems we will be staying in the already well-trodden world of BotW, with only some minor additions (floating islands, upgraded enemies...). But the exact same world otherwise.
If it's the same Link, in the same world, then it wouldn't really make sense for him to lose his hearts or stamina, for instance. Of course it has to happen for the game to be challenging and interesting, but there wouldn't be much sense in it if it's presented to us as a fait accompli. The obvious workaround would be to write it in the story. For example, maybe whatever curse happens to give Link his blackened arm will also suck all life and stamina out of him.
Metroid was mentioned above and it's a good example. Samus usually starts all games with her full, basic gear, then loses it all only to have to find it again, piece by piece, and upgrade it. The same thing could happen for Link in some way. Losing his inventory space, hearts, stamina, even the Sheikah slate, could be explained away with a bit of plot magic, but it has to be explained in some way to preserve the immersion of players who have already spent hundreds or thousands of hours developing this Link.
But the thing that worries me more is the exploration. One of BotW's main draws was the exploration, discovering new places but also documenting the world's fauna, flora, all the things that brought it to life. While we know that TotK will at least marginally redesign the terrain via floating islands and potentially underground areas, I can't imagine for a second that it will give us a brand new compendium to fill from scratch. It's reasonable to expect the world of TotK to be filled with the same creatures, the same Hyrule Shrooms, Silent Princesses and Cool Saffinas... Which means it's reasonable to expect that the same recipes will still work or that Koroks won't be hiding under every other rock... So I'm a little concerned that the exploration factor of this sequel will be greatly diminished, unless Nintendo finds other ways to renew the overworld (maybe some Malice or a similar plague that alters every living thing in Hyrule, including its fauna and flora?).
It's all speculation at this stage, of course. And I trust Nintendo to deliver on its promise. But in some way they have to address the fact that this is a continuation of BotW, not a reboot. So if whatever developments happened in the first are not carried over to the sequel, we have to be given a reason why, no matter how magical. I'd be disappointed to learn that there are 900 more Koroks to find or that I have to once again snap pictures of every blade of grass and animal in Hyrule, if I'm not given some reason to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom