• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The lake side scientist, Ocarina of Time

How did the old scientist go out?

• Ganon's forces kill everyone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He invited gunpowder and the space program in one step.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Peacefully, in someone's bed.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
I believe that Dr. Mizumi (or Mizuumi?), the lake scientist, in Ocarina of Time, was a member of the Shikah.

OoT3D_Lake_Scientist_Model.png

A few things we can tell from Breath of the Wild. The tribe is not just made up of ninjas and wizards, but scientists as well. (From the beginning, I believe it has been the intention of the creators to blend magic and technology.) By map comparison, I have also lined his island up with Hylia Island which is now a crater, with a shrine down in the depression.

We know little about him, from Ocarina of Time, yet there are some interesting threads. We do know that this version of Kakariko was enterly Sheikah, until Impa opened it up for the common person. This means that there are likely living tribe members still in the village. Granny, who runs the potion shop, already has a set up business, and is obviously older than Impa. Dr. Mizumi tells Link, at one point, that was a student of his. (Some even suggest a more romantic relationship between the two.) If she is a member, blending science and magic, I might add, then it follows that her teacher (and possible side action) is a member as well.

His fate? The crater could be another attack by Ganon’s forces, after Ocarina of Time. Though, I prefer the idea that he blew up his own laboratory. It fits with his mad scientist image, has a hint of comedy, and implies that not all tragedy ties directly back to the curse of Demise.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well at the end of OoT we see he survived because he is at the party in Lon Lon Ranch. I never really put much thought beyond that because geography between games is always so inconsistent that the lakeside lab not showing up as ruins again in a future game isn't strange. Most other locations never show up again either in the same general area, and if they do, they are usually very different.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
He could be mixed race. He doesn't have the typical sheikah eyes, he does have the hair for it but also so do many old people. There is also nothing in his lab which appears sheikah in origin or that he is proud of that heritage so whilst possible there isn't much evidence to support him being anything other than a regular Hylian.

I never really put much thought beyond that because geography between games is always so inconsistent that the lakeside lab not showing up as ruins again in a future game isn't strange.

As you know, I have a theory that puts that into question.

He could be mixed race.

I have come to generally think about Shikah... ism(?) kina like Judaism. It's a culture that can be joined, despite one's genetics, evedent by Sheik, and genetic family line, evedent by the eyes.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
As you know, I have a theory that puts that into question.

I have come to generally think about Shikah... ism(?) kina like Judaism. It's a culture that can be joined, despite one's genetics, evedent by Sheik, and genetic family line, evedent by the eyes.

You could be right in that it is more of a culture that can be joined rather than something that has to be born into. Like the samurai I believe that non Japanese were occasionally permitted.

Though I would say that Sheik was a disguise in the way that Link dressing as a woman was a disguise, he didn't actually become a woman and Zelda may not have actually been considered a true sheikah. So Id be interested to see if there is evidence of other sheikah who were not born into it.

You could be right in that it is more of a culture that can be joined rather than something that has to be born into. Like the samurai I believe that non Japanese were occasionally permitted.

Yes, we do have historical evidence for non-Japanese samuri.

Though I would say that Sheik was a disguise in the way that Link dressing as a woman was a disguise, he didn't actually become a woman and Zelda may not have actually been considered a true sheikah. So Id be interested to see if there is evidence of other sheikah who were not born into it.

I will need to do some digging around to see if I can find any evidence of others being adopted in as members. At the moment, the strongest evidence is Zelda, in disguise, using their abilities, and stating as much.

That, and having the whole race bottleneck to Impa for re-population creates a lot of problems.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yes, we do have historical evidence for non-Japanese samuri.

I will need to do some digging around to see if I can find any evidence of others being adopted in as members. At the moment, the strongest evidence is Zelda, in disguise, using their abilities, and stating as much.

That, and having the whole race bottleneck to Impa for re-population creates a lot of problems.

It wouldn't be the first time that inbreeding is unavoidable in Zelda. Though I like to think of OOTs Hyrule as more a representation of a land and population rather than a fully functioning living world as it's not realistic. In the lore there could be many more people than are actually in the game.

It wouldn't be the first time that inbreeding is unavoidable in Zelda. Though I like to think of OOTs Hyrule as more a representation of a land and population rather than a fully functioning living world as it's not realistic. In the lore there could be many more people than are actually in the game.

I can agree with that.

As an aside, I'm currently thinking that the whole last Sheikah thing was an intentional lie. With the previous war, the clan would have been a hot topic issue. They would have likely gone into hiding. It's well established that they are extremely good, in universe, with disguise.

Legend of Zelda: The Last Sheikah

I'd play that.

Its rubble thats been ground down or its the cannon hiuse in tp??

I'm guessing there was a typo; I wasn't sure how to take the question, at first. I did go back, and look at Twilight Princess's Lake Hylia. The cannonball ride house does generally sit in that spot, and also sits on a wooden platform. It could be that Fyer and Falbi built over the original sight, and used the scientist's research for their business. It's a tenuous leap of logic, but there is a chance that the two clown dressed business men could have inherited the rights to the spot, explaining why they built it there, instead of on studier land.

So Id be interested to see if there is evidence of other sheikah who were not born into it.

I think I've found something. It started when I found an image of Paya, with black eyes. I went to go look in game (Breath of the Wild), and found that her eyes actually look redish brown. So, I started looking at the other villagers, who are supposed to be all Sheikah, most of whom have brown eyes (red adjacent), while many of the elderly seem to have gray eyes, even Impa. Though, even the young Koko has gray eyes. Then I found Rola, running the arrow shop. She has blue eyes, and black hair. She also talks about missing her husband. This is easily an example of a non-Sheikah becoming a member of the tribe, by marriage in this case.

Just for good measure, I took a look at Purah and her assistant, Symin. He has the brown eyes, while she has bright red eyes.

The differing eye colors could mean a range of things, from disguise tactics, to a blending of the genetics, even people being adopted into the tribe. The one sure thing, is that eye color is only an indicator for who is, but not who is not Sheikah

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom