• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How well did you think the Switch was going to do initially?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Switch is still making milestone headlines after 5 years and 100 million units sold. But if you guys can remember, how well did you think the Switch was going to perform when it was coming out? Back when Nintendo just canned the Wii U and found pretty good success with the 3ds, what was your prediction for how the Switch would follow up?

I can't remember what I thought about how successful it would be when it came out, but I remember at a certain point after we were seeing how well it was doing, I thought it would probably do NES numbers (around 60 million sales) or around that range. I definitely didn't think it was going to be in the top 5 of the best selling systems ever but here we are.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I didn't think about it at all. Even though it does affect the games for the system in some way, I don't tend to care much exactly how well they do, so I just didn't think of it at all.
I personally LOVE my Wii U, and that console didn't do well at all. Doesn't matter to me

I thought it would do very well. A handheld console that can play home console games and at the same time be a home console and it literally launching with a highly anticipated Zelda game I had no doubt it would be successful.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
When I first saw the Switch I thought that it’s gimmick was kinda lame. Handhelds being able to display games on the TV is nothing new, hell my Leapster L-Max from 2004 was able to do that. At the time it simply seemed to me that it was just an excuse to push all of their resources into handhelds, which have always been their more successful consoles. I knew it was going to sell well, better than the Wii U at the very least, but I didn’t think it was going to beat the Wii, which had a much more interesting idea.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I definitely did not expect it to do as well as it did. After the Wii U I thought Nintendo was always going to suffer by being practically a generation behind from a graphics standpoint. I figured the Switch being both a home and handheld console would help it a bit, and that it'd certainly do better than the Wii U, but not that it would be among the best selling consoles of all time.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't have super high expectations at the time and was doubtful that merging the console and handheld lines together was the right move but it has clearly paid off for them up to today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom