• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Well Do You See Avatar: The Way of Water Doing At The Box Office?

James Cameron's Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time with over $2 billion grossed. I remember so many people seeing it back in the day because of its then innovative and impressive use of 3D. Unfortunately, the movie hasn't aged all that well due to its lackluster story. It's basically Pocahontas with blue space people.

For years, we've heard talk about Avatar sequels and now we finally have a trailer for the first of these sequels: Avatar The Way of Water, out this December.

How well do you see this movie performing at the box office?

Even though I doubt many people care for Avatar nowadays, I'd be shocked if it didn't gross at least $500 million because of James Cameron's name value, and it being his first movie in over a decade.

It'll probably make 800mil, but overseas release might push it over to 1bil or maybe 1.2bil. Maybe the most recent Star Wars numbers? I don't think it will do as well as the original, but it's a relatively competent family film and it has a good release date.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I remember seeing the first one in the cinema and just being blown away! But when I've watched it at home on TV later, it's not the same. Maybe this will be better written and not have to rely on effects and awe as much to be a success.
But I still don't think it'll do as well as the first one, it's been a bit too long since the first one and it's never truly become that popular in media afterwards. It was something that was great in the moment

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
As a kid who didn't appreciate or understand the technical revolution of the first avatar, I hated it. Nowadays with big budget cgi being near photoreal anyway, avatar won't stand out as much and I don't think it has any unique draw to it like the marvel films do for example

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I imagine it won't do as well as the original, which was really a product of its time. Maybe if this sequel has an amazing plot it could do really well, but visual awe alone will not cut it.

When I went to see Dr. Strange last weekend, I was extremely surprised that a lot of people reacted postively to the trailer for Avatar: The Way of Water, but I don't think that is a sure indicator that a majority of people feel similarly worldwide.

As for me, I think it will maybe be one I skip seeing at the theater, I'll just buy it on bluray at some point.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I thought the first one was crap. A technical marvel to be sure and 3D was the next big thing but cinemas don't seen to even offer 3D film showings anymore here and nobody even uses their 3D glasses for their TV at home. So it's an average story with beautiful visuals.

I actually expect this film will do well at the box office due to its name and director but I don't see it with the same success as the first. What's the real selling point? It's just tall alien smurfs again who have hair sex but instead of the wizard Gargamel it's human greed that's the enemy.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I really hope it is a riff on The Little Mermaid and my man Jimmy Cameron is playing 4D chess and making better "live action" remakes of Disney movies than Disney can while under their paycheck...would be funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom