• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Blood Moon Rises Once Again: A Community Replay of Breath of the Wild

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
2021051117032400-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

It's crazy to think it's been 4 years since Breath of the Wild initially released. In a month we could potentially get news in the sequel that has been in the works; but in the meantime, many of us have picked Breath of the Wild back up, or are playing it for the first time – it's a pretty exciting moment too, considering the Western Northern Hemisphere will be able to see a Super Blood Moon on May 26th!

With so many of us playing I thought it could be cool for us all to share insights into our journeys through Hyrule! Also if you aren't playing the game and are thinking about it, we'd love for more members to join in on the fun!

So far I just left the Shrine of Resurrection and I got the bird opening, as you can see from the picture above. Apparently this is a rare opening to the game that didn't surface until about a month ago when a Reddit user posted a clip of the bird flying in the opening. Off to a good start, I'd say! Aside from that, I grabbed some Hylian Shrooms, caught some Bladed Rhino Beetles, and picked a few apples before talking to the Old Man moments before I began writing this.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
this is one of the only zelda games that I have to actively force myself to play
it just can't hold my attention in the way other zelda games can
I'm still just barely done with vah ruta and ran into some controller issues so I haven't picked it up since then
I was going to clip myself killing a lynel optimally since that seems to be a point of confusion on ZD for a few people

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Alrighty, I'm done for the day.

2021051117030700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Here is a better shot of the bird, the pan out of Hyrule actually follows the bird's movements really well.

2021051118210800-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

I found a little nook that I missed in previous playthoughs, all it had was some flint near the pile of wood.

2021051118254900-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

First Korok of this playthrough, I forgot that there was a diving circle there, I just leaped into to water to swim and get the rusty sword on the highest island of the pond.

2021051118353700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Pretty flowers.

2021051119052700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Calamity Ganon!!! :eek:

When I first played BotW I died many times on the Great Plateau, I began noticing here I was doing really well, no damage taken at all, in fact!

A bit of a scare on the perfect run, idk how I didn't take damage from the bomb blast.

This guardian killed me so many times in my first playthrough, this time I finished it with style!

I left off at the Old Man's cabin for today with the perfect run still intact. I'm sure at some point I will take damage, but I'd be so enthused if I can prevent a game over as long as possible.

I didn't know about the bird opening thing. I wonder if any of my playthroughs had that and I didn't notice or know that was supposed to be special.

My playthrough so far has been sort of light on shrines, and part of it is because I've been focusing on covering a lot of distance and haven't been as thorough while staying on paths with my horse (something I definitely couldn't do on a first playthrough)... But as usual I'm going hearts over stamina. And yes, I am already running out of screenshot space. (I'll definitely do a proper screenshot thread post at some point but I'll probably wait awhile, and document my general stuff in here instead.
The bokoblin who cooked himself alive.

The guardians at the Eastern Abbey didn't spot me, but these stupid stalkoblins sure did.

I totally didn't just walk off this cliff; I never walked off a cliff. I never even left the Shrine of Resurrection. How could I walk off a cliff? I was trying to drop down but I slipped...

Plateau Talus down.
630fa0dd73.jpg

Mount Satori was my first destination off the plateau, to gather materials, and Satori was there so it was swarming with wildlife. Beetles!
ac54561143.jpg

There he is... (I didn't try to mount him, I went after the blupees instead)
dd90292593.jpg

After Mount Satori, my next stop was the Coliseum Ruins. For the lynel. To see how much I remembered. It was... not a particularly clean fight, but I didn't die and that actually surprised me because my confidence was nada.
29d283a47c.jpg

Also how did I not get hit by that attack at the end of this? I literally had a delayed reaction processing that I survived that, and had to clip it to figure out how...

Same, Link. Same.
a6e3278cfe.jpg

My first blood moon was at Dueling Peaks tower. Looked neat.
8225684e88.jpg

Getting a horse was at least helping me stay on task for the objective about reaching Kakariko though
de233e6f70.jpg

And then this happened
Took it upon myself to light the torches before proceeding to the Tech Lab, and this happened

Fought the East Gate lynel when I was over there getting that memory. He kept getting stuck while navigating the trees (also, observe how the pro controller dpad screws up the quick equip)

Adding to my body count.
d448a31953.jpg

Had a very close call at Central Tower; this could have been a lot worse...

Third lynel down. It's funny, I've been avoiding a lot of combat this playthrough, but I guess I just like the one on one nature of lynel fights, so I can actually process what is going on.

I like my horse's jagged mane physics.
c0c2be8039.jpg

Finished off today's session by approaching Rito Village. I haven't decided which beast I'll start with, but I'll likely go to Hyrule Castle before doing any of them like my past two playthroughs.
28e0251661.jpg

Some other stuff:
Tower Order:
- Plateau Tower
- Lake Tower
- Dueling Peaks Tower
- Hateno Tower
- Central Tower
- Faron Tower
- Tabantha Tower

---
Deaths:
- Blue bokoblin (spiked club) - Great Plateau
- Boulder (Indiana Jones) - Stasis trial
- Ice water - Mt Hylia
- Stalnox - Mt Satori
- Stalnox - Mt Satori
- [] Lynel (ice arrow) - East Gate [revived by fairy]

Taluses defeated:
- Great Plateau
- North Hateno Village

Lynels defeated:
- Coliseum
- East Gate
- Tabantha Bridge

I’ve really enjoyed this thread.
I can’t say whether I’ve had the ‘bird’ opening but I will watch out for it next time.
I have found different things happen and some changes in areas such as scenery and also each time I play it from new it seems the Bobolkins grow in strength earlier.
I wonder if this game ‘learns’ slightly.

Got a fair bit done today, in a manner of speaking. Mostly laying groundwork for future stuff, and... stuff. Finished my session today activating Lanayru Tower, and I'm up to 35 shrines now. Killed my first guardian stalker today, too, yay. Used a guardian sword to chop his legs, each only needed a hit to destroy them. Nice.
Started the day off with my arrival at Hyrule Castle.
3947f2ff8f.jpg

The only really funny/exciting thing that happened at the Castle outside of me trying to remember its interior layout was this bit

Me when I'm trying to find something to photograph
863e2d8a0f.jpg

Fought my favorite lynel today. First hitless lynel fight of this playthrough! Farosh says hi.
61c5c1d5fc.jpg

Clip of the above, love Farosh during the flurry rush slow-mo (if I were really smart I would've rode the updraft on the dismount since it replenishes stamina, and I could have gotten free headshots... hm)

Then later, Farosh bullied me...

No comment.

Thanks.
fdf633f465.jpg

I was runnning low on arrows and didn't want to waste them on a stupid korok.

If you ever have an opportunity to get to start a lynel fight like this, always take advantage of that opportunity...

Took out his brother to the south afterward. Love my guardian battleaxe. Designated lynel fight weapon until I get something even stronger.
Towers:
- Wasteland
- Lanayru

Deaths:
- [] Black moblin (Dragonbone Moblin Club) - Hyrule Castle [revived by fairy]
- [] electrocution (Farosh) - Faron [revived by fairy]
- [] Electric lizalfos (Knight's Bow) - Gerudo Desert [revived by fairy]

Taluses:
- East Mount Granajh (luminous)

Lynels:
- Faron (red)
- North Oseira Plain (red)
- South Oseira Plain (red)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
So far I've mostly been messing around and doing some shrines here and there. I was going to make this a challenge run of some kind, but I've pretty much just ended up not using shields so far. I won't be going for all shrines and I won't be doing the sword trials again.

I've already posted some screenshots from this run in another thread, so I'll just start from where I left off.

This clip is probably one of my favorite moments in the entire time I've played the game. Remote bomb going off triggered my horse to buck and a bokoblin got on the receiving end of that, lol.

I've mostly been wearing the Sheikah armor set in my travels. I've died a good number of times so far too. Getting used to BotW's physics and everything again has been an adjustment.

But I've taken quite a few more screenshots this time around, especially of the scenery, which is downright stunning at times.

E1ExgYMVgAAaQO4
E1ExgYAVUAAWJip
E1ExgXiVcAA4jXo

E1ExgXZUcAwvad_

In the play session from this first set of screenshots, I nabbed only a couple shrines and one tower, as well as exploring a bit around Necluda. By this point I had already visited Purah's lab.

E1Jx9HGVcAMch1o
E1Jx9HOVkAAmV4R
E1Jx9GaVUAEd8OK

Spent some time over by the beach, not too far from Lurelin Village. That's not a horse I registered, but my horse Dorte was so far away at this point that I didn't feel like going back for it. Used that one for a while to get around in this area. Also caught a nice shot of a rainbow. No shrines in this session.

E1NfQKvVkAMi8vt
E1NfQLBVgAIr3O3
E1NfQLWVIAEbAUB
E1NfQLCVkAIGtEY

More time at the shoreline. This time around I ended up doing the quest that requires you to eliminate the monsters not too far from Lurelin Village, as well as completing the shrine nearby. Another rainbow shot too.^^

Somewhere during this I also went and did some armor upgrades for this set and the Hylian set along with the Champion's Tunic.

E1NunBRVEAEOsDk
E1NunAyVEAAhbiJ
"Haha, I'm in danger."

Had something kind of odd happen today. Tried to go fight a Stalnox, but even after waiting through the whole night, it never woke up. I walked away and came back, but nothing. Strange.

E1NusCwVoAEPYOp
E1NusC0UYAMJenD
E1PCVA7VoAcxDJg
E1PCVAqUUAIdLwd
E1PCVBCVUAUNdIz
E1PCVAeVcAAPjU_

Completed a few more shrines (and a few towers) and made my way to Zora's Domain after running through the wetlands, without talking with Sidon or activating the cutscenes. Not sure why, but I just like finding my way there without doing that part.

A bit disorganized in recording my activity so far, but it's been fun revisiting the game. I almost have the same kind of vibes I got when I first played. Like experiencing it for the first time all over again.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I am the child that set off this trend. I feel honored.

Anyway, here's where I'm at:
I've activated all the towers north of the plateau. I've completed Ruta and Medoh. I have the MS. I've done 45 shrines. I'm gonna do a lot of the various sidequests I procrastinated on before tackling Eldin and then heading south.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
2021051318370100-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
I found this screenshot worthy.

2021051318373700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
I never wore the Switch shirt in any of my 2 previous playthroughs, so I decided to wear it finally.

More bug

2021051418394000-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
First horse of the game, I didn't keep it though, I only used it to get to the Dueling Peaks Tower.

My heart was pounding, it took me so long to get to the cooked food because I was trying to regain composure.

I'm pretty proud that I unpaused and immedietly pulled off a flurry rush. The deathless run continues!

2021051418544600-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
First Tower down!

2021051419370900-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
I "commited to memory" this time, in my first playthrough I didn't read the sign and started messing with the placement of orbs, haha!

2021051420313900-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
Really the only notable amiibo drop from the first day I did it.

2021051421194300-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
Off to register Epona at the Dueling Peaks Stable.

2021051421434400-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
Hateno Blue Flame lesgoo!

2021051421560400-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
But then my Boko bat broke, so I trekked up to the lab to get the torch, and what do ya know, rain!

2021051422080600-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

Apparently I can only attach 10 files to one post. I have a couple more I'll put in the screenshot thread I guess, but I stopped playing yesterday at the Hateno Tower. I just lit the thorns on fire, and then it started to rain. I put the Switch in sleep mode, so that's where I'll pick things up from today.

Towers
  • Plateau
  • Dueling
Stables
  • Riverside
  • Dueling

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

Staff member
E1eQ3QDVcAEzVI3
E1eQ3QPVoAIVKLC
E1eQ3QuVUAI_gbz
E1eQ3Q0UcAIQrmr

E1eVZszVEAM3tcl

Some more roaming around, nabbing a few shrines, upgrading gear. I initiated the Vah Ruta quest just to get the Zora armor. Got the full set, and I'll probably run that set for the rest of the game. Not sure how many Divine Beasts I'll do yet.

I left off this evening at the Highland Stable. I'll probably do the shrine there next, and work on unlocking more fairy fountains to upgrade my armor further.

I don't like these types of korok puzzles very much...

The sequel to that stalmoblin shooting the coyote

I have this theory that every horse has a unique way in which their mane/tail physics breaks; this is my horse's.
9c45d0cec4.jpg

This was tempting.
2834b2317f.jpg

R I S E
056331f81e.jpg

Master Sword get.
bbe2cce47c.jpg

To this day, I've never bothered with figuring out how you're actually supposed to do this shrine. Because... I do this instead.

Farosh breached on my way to this shrine. :eyes:
e8326a76a9.jpg
Got my first five shot bow! Didn't realize normal lynel bows got this bonus; holding onto it for now.
084b749f99.jpg

Some bad decisions were made...

Found this horse that looked a bit like one I had in another file... almost kept it.
900968011e.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the sky turning red, but this was still really cool to see during the thunderstorm.
412e7b0f6b.jpg

At 64 shrines now. Probably gonna prepare for fighting Calamity Ganon soon, and then go back and do the Divine Beasts.
Deaths:
-[] electrocution (yellow chu jelly) - Mount Lanayru [revived by fairy]

Taluses:
- Crenel Hills (luminous)
- Cliffs of Quince (regular)
- Kolami Bridge South (rare) x2
- Giza Crater (rare)

Hinoxes:
- Phalian Highlands (red)
- Purifier Lake (red)
- Mount Taran (red/youngest kin)
- Mount Taran (blue/middle kin)
- Mount Taran (black/oldest kin)
- Lake Totori South (black)

Lynels:
- Aldor Foothills (blue)
- East Gate (red)
- South Akkala (blue)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
To this day, I've never bothered with figuring out how you're actually supposed to do this shrine. Because... I do this instead.
This is actually really cool. I think I did this one the intended way, using the metal blocks so the balls physics will use the currents correctly, guiding it to the hole, then while standing on the ledge, throwing the ball and letting the magic work. I think it also requires some on the fly adjustments with one block while Link is still on or near the platform that will rise. The intended way is not the easiest, lol.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
E1jUZgmUUAIUZVY
What a view, eh?
E1jUZfaVoAMSNd6
E1jUZemVEAAnESH
E1jUZeMVEAEn4Nn

Play session before last I decided to mess around with trying to perfectly parry certain enemies, with limited success. It's fun, although I still prefer the look without a shield. Completed several shrines and a few towers. Also fought the first blue Hinox I've come across so far.

E1l7IpQUcAAHmoU
E1l7IpWVkAAKaoR
E1l7IpPVgAkyZ8U
E1l7IpWVIAMzc0D
E1l7OL9VUA4aQb3
Some pretty close calls, lol.
E1l7OMJVcAkOQy2

Zora set is very nice for efficient swimming.
E1l7OL3VUAYoYvy
Thunderblade very nice. Thunder weapons very nice.
E1l7OMHVgAAeT23
Another amazing view.
E1l7TTDUYAI4VW6
The disgusting yuck sack.
E1l7TTxVIAA5kjF

Disgusting yuck tentacles.
E1l7TTQUUAkFrZU
E1l7TTjVUAEW-MA
Some more lovely views from the higher parts of the castle.
E1l7ZVQVoAQs4Z_
Imagine navigating a Hyrule that's completely consumed by Malice. That would've been interesting.
E1l7ZVEUYAE1lLN
The moments before I jumped in sword first to tackle the Blight gauntlet and Calamity Ganon.

First Hyrule Castle raid this morning. Grabbed some weapons, a bunch of food, and decided that the temptation to try my hand at the Blight gauntlet was too much. Scaled the outside of the castle first, then headed into the Sanctum. The Blights themselves were kind of pushovers. Spam arrows at their eyes enough and you can tear through them pretty quick.

I ran into a bit of a wall with Calamity Ganon though, since I didn't manage my resources as well as I could've. Broke both my shields trying to parry and ended up in a situation where I burned through all my consumables and had to perform flurry rushes to do any damage. Got to the second phase, but that was it. I'll grab a few extras before heading back in later and trying again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom