• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Virtual YouTubers / VTubers

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Spiking in popularity recently, the VTubers are out and about.

A VTuber, if you're unfamiliar with the term, is just like your good ol' YouTuber, but it's an (often anime) avatar instead of a real-life face. There's a tech behind it that makes your face and motions rigged to the avatar and so your movement in front of your camera is translated into the movement of your avatar .. it's a bit complicated.

Most of the appeal, or 'thing' about VTubers is, well, like regular YouTubers. You watch them for their personalities, and funny let's plays and streams. But the key difference are that they're not real people, but (often anime) avatars so it allows the YouTuber or streamer behind the avatar to really go into a character. It also has the benefit of anonymity, opening up streaming opportunities to people that are afraid of showing their IRL face on camera.

Is this something you're familiar with, or into? Have you got any favorite VTubers? What do you think of the concept in general?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Their reactions are funny for a lot of the games that they play, but it's not the type of thing that I would watch that often. The broken English and exaggerated expressions could make for a great time in a group setting, though.

I've seen a couple of Vtuber and I only really like Kizuna AI.

She's a virtual Superstar with lots of followers and even some music tracks. Kind of like a youtubing Hatsune Miku.

I don't mind the concept of them. Some people don't want to use their faces online and I can't say I blame them with how scary the world is. So a virtual avatar sounds safer, it has become its own weird sub movement type thing though.

Culturally, they're interesting but I don't follow any outside of occasionally watching a Kizuna video.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I’m not a big fan, but I’ve seen them. I have no problem against them, and I’ve seen some clips that are honestly pretty funny.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't care for regular youtubers, so virtual ones aren't on the table for me, either. I have a good friend who's really into a few, and I can respect that. For me, its like being into celebrities. I'd much rather spend my time with a hobby rather than a personality that performs my hobbies.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not my thing.

Fine for what they are, but after checking a couple out, I immediately found that I preferred seeing a human face in the videos I watch on YT. Especially for livestreams and other content like that.

I will say though that since I originally wrote this comment, I found some music videos with VTubers. Those are quite nice, I must admit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom