• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Get rid of/reduce the rain and thunder in BotW2?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Rain and was a major, major annoyance factor in BotW for many. You might also call it an additional challenge to make climbing not feel to OP. However people felt, rain was a discussion point in the game.

Same goes with thunder. Personally I had a blast tossing metal weapons at enemies to fry them, but I'd swallow a laugh as I myself would get hit by lightning, something a lot of people also found annoying.

How would you like to see these mechanics implemented in BotW2? Do you think Nintendo will listen to the criticism and reduce the slippery surface?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think dont get rid of them altogether just lessen them so theyre not there every 5secs...

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I liked the rain and thunder mechanics, but like Dizzi mentioned, maybe not have them happen so much. I don't want to have to switch back and forth between the thunder helm and my usual armor so often to not get struck or have to walk around the length of an entire location to find an easier place to climb up just because the rain is so effective in stopping me from climbing.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Just get link some climbing gloves and it's all good. The problem was that nothing could be done to combat the effects of rain unlike any other weather, the problems of which could be corrected with gear or potions. I would love to see some more extreme weather like random hurricane encounters.

I liked the lightning but not the rain if they reduced how slippery everything got then it would be much better.

Swimming and trying to climb out of a high bank during a rainstorm was just the height of irritation. At least implement a grappling hook or armour that negates slipping, like claw gloves or something.

Rain should be nerfed in the sequel.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I agree with Dio. The rain itself is not the problem. It's the gear. When you upgraded the climbing gear by a great fairy they should've added the ability to climb during rain. Climbing gear fully upgraded + ability to climb during the heaviest rain. That's what they should add. I don't hate the rain or lightning that much. It makes the game exciting and more fun. At least to me. Just add something to be able to climb during heavy rain

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think it should be more possible to climb in the rain. Maybe it should be slow, or consume more stamina, but it just isn't fun having to go and wait at a fire for the rain to pass.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I didn't really care that much about the rain and thunder. A lot of you guys are saying there's nothing you can do about the rain, but that isn't true. You can eat stamina meals to continue climbing. That's not hard to do and if you're wandering around without multiple types of meal boosters at all times, that's on you for being underprepared. I can understand wanting something to prevent slipping, but it's not something I've ever felt like I needed, personally. You can even avoid slipping if you let go of the wall after a leap, assuming it's not perfectly vertical. You won't fall and you will automatically grab the wall again if you continue moving up. Just like how there are a lot of little juts along cliffs you can stand still on if you know how to spot them. BotW rewards preparation, observation, and thought, and a lot of the gameplay is based around that, including rain effects. I thought that was pretty cool.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Personally, I never had a problem with the rain/thunder in BotW, so I'm perfectly fine if they're kept at the same rate in BotW 2. I think, as other people have mentioned, if there was something that helped make it easier to climb up during the rain or negate those effects then that'd be good to help those who dislike the rain/thunder mechanics.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I don't think any gear should help with climbing in the rain. It makes it so there's always an obstacle no matter how late in the game my only complaint is there should be some variety not just rain add some tornadoes etc. Drives home the point that even the greatest heroes can't beat mother nature.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Rain is usually never a good mechanic in gaming in general as, with one or two exceptions, it’s only used to hinder the player as opposed to making a experience more unique or fun. While it was far from the least enjoyable pat of BotW, it was still a bad mechanic, and one that only served to make gameplay less fun.

It’s not like WW where the rain added to t he atmosphere of the great sea, or MM where it was used to make the 3 day cycle further in-depth either. If it were to be brought back, it would need to be in a way that either had no affect on gameplay whatsoever, or only made some aspect of gameplay easier in addition to any downsides.

I think it's clear. Nintendo's purposely added an feature.
When ever we go climbing, 20% No rain,80% raining feature,to get players to play botw2.
I bet the 2nd trailer's going to announce : No Climbing Distraction mode.

MW7

Yes, I definitely think they should lessen the impact of rain in the next game. Any of the above solutions would be fine with me. If it were up to me, I would have made any of the 3 climbing gear pieces make it possible to climb in the rain without needing an upgrade. If you go the intended route to Kakariko, you'd pass the shrine with the climbing bandana very early in the game. Beating the Zora dungeon could have had a secondary Champion gift as well to let you climb wet surfaces.

Lightning is much less annoying because it has a natural solution of un-equipping metal items. I'd be fine with it being as is unless you have a very specific piece of equipment like the Thunder Helm, or it could have been another Champion gift.

Finally I think the prize at the end of the Song of the Hero should have been the Hookshot. At that point, you can basically do anything anyway so why not.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I mean, I get the criticism that it feels like when it rains there isn't much you can do. Climbing is a pain in the rain (huh, that rhymes lol) and in my experience having a bunch of Stamina potions doesn't really negate the slippage when climbing some slopes, the only time it is effective is if you are pretty close to a spot where you can stand. About all you can do is find an alternative route to get to where you want to go, but if your destination is the top of a slope while it's raining, unless you have Revali's Gale, it's going to be a hard time. You also can't make a fire to pass time and hopefully not have rain.

I would also say there were points where rain felt like it hindered my progress with flame related quests, but I did find ways to make meaningful progress in the rain anyway. For example, in my latest Master Quest run it started raining while I was trying to transfer the Blue Flame to the Akalla Ancient Tech Lab and at first I was going to just stand in the rain and wait until it stopped, in all my previous playthroughs I never had to deal with rain while doing this. I changed my mind and started fighting Moblins to clear the path ahead so when it did stop raining transfering the flame was a lot easier.

In the sequel I'd say give better means to climb while it's raining. I don't think much else needs to be changed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom