• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Choose One Thing You Hope for from BotW 2

Personally, I wouldn't want to play as anyone but Link. Sure, he isn't very expressive, but I always grow attached to each game's Link through the gameplay rather than dialog/story. The fact that he doesn't show any emotion also means you can project your feelings onto him and feel more a part of the world.

The Bread Pirate

Youtuber/Student/Christian
The fact that he doesn't show any emotion also means you can project your feelings onto him and feel more a part of the world.

I agree 100%! He shouldn't show emotion, he should simply be an avatar for the player to project themselves onto.

Too often nowadays, video games try to force you to feel a certain way via the main character's emotions, but the mark of a good game is one that can do it through the situation/story.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I agree 100%! He shouldn't show emotion, he should simply be an avatar for the player to project themselves onto.

Too often nowadays, video games try to force you to feel a certain way via the main character's emotions, but the mark of a good game is one that can do it through the situation/story.

I’m kinda in the middle on this one.

on one hand, I enjoy having link being a semi-blank slate to connect with.

On the other hand, I absolutely adore the way Link portrays his emotions in WW and the DS games, and I want them to continue with that.

the way I see it, while Link is a defined character, he still is very vague in a lot of what he does. He’s still expressive and characterized through his actions, but it’s done in a way that’s so broad that almost anyone can relate to him on some level.

I think the best way of putting it is that when we say that we are link, it’s less that he’s us but in the game, more that we are donning the persona of link, with us deciding how to interpret him as a character.

The only thing I want -- to know more about Rito (as they appeared to be entry point for me to try playing BoTW).

Rito, out of all bird-like designs that I've ever seen, appeared to be literally perfect for me. I see them -- and I see real birds, but intelligent.
They have nice anatomy:
Wings with non-zero surface area that makes them able to fly;
Their chests, where I see keel with pectoral muscles, necessary for flight (instead of typical human-like breasts);
Even their bird faces, but additionally emotional.

Their village is highly specific too:
Fenceless houses with randomly stacked planks under the floor are looking like nests;
Windvanes among the entire village (and large mighty ones around Tabantha Frontier), which purpose is to show direction and strength of wind (critical for flight);
"Starting points" for flight -- simply pathways to the abyss;
Even their angled ornaments, which represent real birds' fast and precise movements.

Thus, Rito have the most specific visual design, but have great lack of lore.

I already have a Switch and BoTW, so I'll buy sequel only to know more about Rito.

(Yes, I love birds. And even Revali -- my most beloved character ever -- have visual design that reminds me of my truly beloved azure-winged magpie, that no more lives with me. And his personality is literally mine (my special skill is electronics engineering), but I'm slightly more aware of my psychological issues).

Last edited:
A more linear adventure with certain objectives to meet to get to new locations., towns and dungeons.

With the more linearity, I'd argue that you shouldn't be able to climb on all the walls and stuff, maybe whatever happens to Link's arm limits his climbing ability.

Fix weapon durability, or even just get rid of it. I understand it's purpose in BOTW, but it still got obnoxious.

It's only been one game and I already miss getting fun equipment in dungeons, stuff like the Spinner, Megaton Hammer, Cane of Somalia, I want to see that back more rather then getting apps for your Sheikah Slate at the beginning.

I agree with others about less emphasis on Sheikah technology and more on the mystic stuff.

Speaking of which, playable Zelda, seriously. One of my ideas is whatever happened to Link's arm causes them to fuse together but they have the power to switch between each other. Link's the physical powerhouse while Zelda uses magic, kind of like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

multi cloth features.
I would like to wear a hylian tunic with a Champion's tunic with a hylian hood. just like in the trailer.

Beyond the obvious choices like Traditional dungeons and items that don't break?

Make items not break as fast as they currently do, add some way to track how much durability remaining in the item you're currently using before it breaks, and a Blacksmith to repair items durability and upgrade them to increase their durability.

Have two categories of weapons, basic / not so powerful ones that don't break which you get from dungeons, and stronger / experimental ones that do break which you get from exploring the open world, chests, enemies....etc

Of course, I wouldn't mind if they just outright got rid of the item durability and item drops gimmick, they're so common in other RPGs and open world games that I can't say I'm gonna miss it, especially if we get dungeon items back.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

I've never bought into this logic, because plenty of games do silent protagonists a dozen times better than Zelda does while at the same time giving them dialogue. Stuff like Fallout, Outer Worlds, and Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 come to mind.

At the moment, Link is just a bland cardboard cutout.

Additionally, a story should be conveyed through characters. To not do so is just bad writing.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's a fair point. It's not impossible to make a silent protagonist work while giving them emotion. But just because another series did it well doesn't mean that Nintendo should follow the same path.

True, but I just don't think Nintendo has done it well. Link has never really worked as a silent protagonist.

How come?

I know that a lot of people want it to be darker, but will that somehow make it a better game?

When I say "dark" I don't mean edgy like Twilight Princess, but a bit more serious like Majora's Mask.
Ganondorf has returned despite Link, Zelda, and everyone's efforts. Link's been asleep for 100 years--are all his family and friends dead besides Zelda and the Sheikah? Zelda says they still have to deal with the painful memories of the past despite starting anew. They had a century taken away from them, along with Zelda's father, the Champions, etc.
Focusing more on serious/depressing stuff like this is a more realistic and consistent way to continue BOTW, and what Link and Zelda went through. It would improve the immersion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom