• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If you could pick any game to get a remake or remaster, which one would you pick?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
We've all played games that have either had graphics or mechanics that would do well to get redone or touched up for newer consoles and newer generations of gamers. In some cases, the games we've wanted to see get improved in both gameplay and graphics have gotten that treatment, such as Nintendo games like WWHD and TPHD or other remakes like the Crash Trilogy, Resident Evil remakes, etc. But of the games that haven't seen that kind of "glow up" yet, what would you like to see get a proper remake or remaster to either improve on what needed fixing or simply refine what was already good? It can be any game, Nintendo or not.

For me personally, I would love a Super Mario Sunshine remake, in the vein of the WWHD remake. Sunshine is definitely not a perfect game, but with some tweaks (fixing glitches, doing something different with the blue coins, balancing the difficulty of certain shine sprites, etc.), I believe that it could stand side by side with Mario games like the Galaxy games and 64 as one of the best Mario games in the minds of a lot of gamers who previously disliked it for whatever reason they may have had.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Any game?

While there are plenty of good games that I think would benefit from a comprehensive remake to bring them into the modern age of gaming, I think it would be more beneficial to remake a bad game. Give a bad game a second chance at life through superior design philosophy and more powerful hardware.

So, following that logic, I would remake Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword is a bad game. It features some of the most condescending game design you'll find outside of linear corridor shooters like Call of Duty. It feels like the epitomy of all the bad design decisions that were gradually building up throughout the 3D Zelda's lifespan and left unchecked, because Nintendo can do no wrong and reviewers will give them glowing scores regardless.

If it were remade, it should follow the Breath of the Wild philosophy: dump everything and replace it with better stuff.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Skyward Sword is a bad game. It features some of the most condescending game design you'll find outside of linear corridor shooters like Call of Duty. It feels like the epitomy of all the bad design decisions that were gradually building up throughout the 3D Zelda's lifespan and left unchecked, because Nintendo can do no wrong and reviewers will give them glowing scores regardless.
I agree. I don't love SS because it has the best gameplay I've ever experienced or because I think it's a masterclass in game design. It just isn't. I love it because of the story, characters, and world that it featured. That said, to be a truly good game, I also agree that it needs more than just a graphical improvement. It's a shame that many game reviewers have sacrificed honesty because of expectations or nostalgia. I clearly remember SS getting perfect scores upon release when it simply didn't deserve it. It's the same with BotW. I love it, but I recognize that it is a flawed game like any other Zelda game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
my main dream remake is Xenogears but fully realized, the latter half of the game was rushed during development so a remake that would restore all that lost content would be a dream come true

but going a step beyond, it'd be a miracle if that would extend to making and finishing Xenogears the series, since it was intended to span 6 games, but of course this is all beyond a pipe dream, so just remake of the Xenogears we got would be amazing

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I agree. I don't love SS because it has the best gameplay I've ever experienced or because I think it's a masterclass in game design. It just isn't. I love it because of the story, characters, and world that it featured. That said, to be a truly good game, I also agree that it needs more than just a graphical improvement. It's a shame that many game reviewers have sacrificed honesty because of expectations or nostalgia. I clearly remember SS getting perfect scores upon release when it simply didn't deserve it. It's the same with BotW. I love it, but I recognize that it is a flawed game like any other Zelda game.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the story either. My biggest issue is just how hollow all the relationships in the game feel, especially the one between Link and Zelda. Since Link is still a differently abled individual who never speaks and drools out of the corner of his mouth, the game spends a lot of time telling you what your relationship with other characters is. This is particularly evident with Zelda, who the game assures you is your childhood friend.

Story-wise, I think my biggest issue is still that the game doesn't have a compelling villain. It has Ghirahim, who acts like a sexual predator, but he's usurped by No Personality McGee, who shows up, opens a portal, and say, "Hey, I'm actually the main bad guy."

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game ever, so that would be my first pick. Something along the lines of Mario 64 DS, sans the bad controls.

Sid Meiers pirates already had 2 remakes, but I would love another seeing as how the latest one is 16 years old.

I’d like a remake of majoras mask that doesn’t suck.
Story-wise, I think my biggest issue is still that the game doesn't have a compelling villain. It has Ghirahim, who acts like a sexual predator, but he's usurped by No Personality McGee, who shows up, opens a portal, and say, "Hey, I'm actually the main bad guy."

to be fair, it’s not like TP Ganondorf who showed up completely unannounced. SS clearly telegraphed throughout the game that demise was the final boss. I also think that ghirahim was a very good character, you could clearly see his personality shine in every cutscene he appeared in.

as for remaking SS, I think the necessary changes are a lot more subtle. Make the 3 late game dungeons complete-able in any order, have connections between the three provinces, throw in some QOL and you’ve got a pretty competent Zelda. We don’t need to go full Zelder scrolls by making it a carbon copy of BotW.

oh yeah, also remake Zelda 2

twilitfalchion

Staff member
to be fair, it’s not like TP Ganondorf who showed up completely unannounced. SS clearly telegraphed throughout the game that demise was the final boss. I also think that ghirahim was a very good character, you could clearly see his personality shine in every cutscene he appeared in.
True. There is definitely a clear parallel between Ghirahim/Demise and Zant/Ganondorf. And I agree that Ghirahim showed quite a bit of personality, making him one of the more interesting villains in the series for me personally.
as for remaking SS, I think the necessary changes are a lot more subtle. Make the 3 late game dungeons complete-able in any order, have connections between the three provinces, throw in some QOL and you’ve got a pretty competent Zelda. We don’t need to go full Zelder scrolls by making it a carbon copy of BotW.
I also agree with you here. I don't think huge changes are necessary. Like with WWHD for example, they didn't get rid of the Triforce quest, but they gave you a fast sail and cut down the amount of charts to make it less tedious.

And, yeah, I would like to see a Zelda 2 remake at some point. It needs it the most out of all the games in the series.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game ever, so that would be my first pick. Something along the lines of Mario 64 DS, sans the bad controls.

Sid Meiers pirates already had 2 remakes, but I would love another seeing as how the latest one is 16 years old.

I’d like a remake of majoras mask that doesn’t suck.

oh yeah, also remake Zelda 2

I suppose it's more that he never felt intimidated by him. He never felt scary as a villain, and none of your encounters with him were particularly fun to me. As someone who felt like he was actively fighting the motion controls, fights with Ghirahim felt tedious, not challenging. He'd appear, you'd beat him, and then he'd try and go, "Hey, I was just going easy on you." Repeat that three times.

If he felt competent as a villain or came with some sort of backstory to make him the hero of his own story, I'd be more forgiving. As he is now, he just seems like a foppish sexual predator who keeps mentioning how there's a much bigger and badder villain who you will meet during the last thirty minutes of the game. You can do an absentee villain well, Zelda just... doesn't really do it well.

My favorite examples of villains setting up bigger and badder villains down the line while still remaining powerful and intimidating would probably be the individual Reapers that you fight in Mass Effect 1 and 2., the most notable of which is Harbinger:

maxresdefault.jpg

Mass Effect 2 does an excellent job of making the Reapers out to be a genocidal threat, but they're a threat you don't encounter en masse until Mass Effect 3 (where the series began its quick plummet into Not Goodsville). Harbinger is ominous, speaks like a Lovecraftian villain (but less racist), and manipulates events behind the scenes. He's responsible for wiping out entire human colonies and melting people down to harvest their genetic material—all of which he's doing in preparation for the much larger fleet of Reapers who are currently dormant in dark space.

So, he fills the same role Ghirahim does, but he's actually intimidating and good at his job.

And you don't have to fight him three times using motion controls that barely function, because calibrating them every half an hour just does not seem to be working.

Definitely Metroid Prime 1.

The game still looks good now, but it's one of those games where every time technology makes a leap, I want to see Prime use it and achieve glory.

Keep the music, keep the gameplay, though some QoL enhancements would be fine, but just go all in on those tasty visuals, it'd be damn stunning.

I'm gonna go for the most predictable answer from me and say Rune Factory 1. It's probably the most underappreciated title in the series because of its dated mechanics and choppier storytelling, but it actually has probably one of the most relevant Rune Factory plots to be revisited. Rune Factory 4 is the series' most successful title and its story ties specifically into the first game over all the other titles. If RF1 was given a remake treatment using the newer mechanics of RF3 and 4, I think more people would give it the chance it deserves. I would also argue RF1 has the most likeable character cast of the entire series as well and the improvement of character interaction and events in the most recent titles would be incredibly refreshing. There's a lot of potential for added post-game content, since 3 and 4 started that trend too, but I won't get into that.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I’ve always wanted to see an Adventure of Link remake. That game has always been the black sheep of the franchise and I want to see it modernized while keeping the core ideas it had. I’ve always thought that game was an interesting concept for a Zelda game it just wasn’t really executed very well.

I also want to see a remake of the Oracle games using assets from the LA remake. Those games are pretty overlooked and I wanna see them get more recognition.

A Sunshine remake would be cool too just because I love that game.

Skyward Sword. As I've said before, it really only needs the motion controls removed to be a passable game. I honestly would play it.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Was coming here only to see

my main dream remake is Xenogears but fully realized, the latter half of the game was rushed during development so a remake that would restore all that lost content would be a dream come true

but going a step beyond, it'd be a miracle if that would extend to making and finishing Xenogears the series, since it was intended to span 6 games, but of course this is all beyond a pipe dream, so just remake of the Xenogears we got would be amazing

and realize I have nothing to add :)

For me personally, I would love a Super Mario Sunshine remake, in the vein of the WWHD remake. Sunshine is definitely not a perfect game, but with some tweaks (fixing glitches, doing something different with the blue coins, balancing the difficulty of certain shine sprites, etc.), I believe that it could stand side by side with Mario games like the Galaxy games and 64 as one of the best Mario games in the minds of a lot of gamers who previously disliked it for whatever reason they may have had.
Sunshine all the way. Give it the Mario 64 DS treatment (minus the awful control scheme) with some extra shines & blue coins and I'm all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom