• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 399!

What is your favorite main "Overworld Area"?

• Hyrule Field (OoT)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Termina Field (MM)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • The Great Sea (TWW)

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Hyrule Field (MC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyrule Field(s) (TP)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Realm of the Ocean King Sea (PH)

• New Hyrule (ST)

• The Sky (SS)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's Question: Do you think some food recipes in BotW were too complicated/specific?

Third Place: None (0.0%)
Second Place: Draw between "Yes, a lot!" and "Not too much" (25.0% each)
First Place: A little bit (50.0%)

This week's question: What is your favorite main "Overworld Area"?

Hyrule Field (OoT)
Termina Field (MM)
The Great Sea (TWW)
Hyrule Field (MC)
Hyrule Field(s) (TP)
Realm of the Ocean King Sea (PH)
New Hyrule (ST)
The Sky (SS)

Most 2D games and BotW doesn't count, as they don't have separate areas for this, but are fully connected throughout, except the dungeons.

The Great Sea <3

I'm a coastal gal and have always wanted to sail, despite being petrified of the sea.

When Wind Waker released I could finally live out that fantasy. I love the music and the visuals of the Wind Waker. While other Zelda game feel like quests, Wind Waker felt like an adventure.

I loved seeing the islands on the horizon during my first playthrough and not know what they were, how they worked or what secrets they held. It was so exciting, every single time.

A spire in the distance is actually a volcano, a volcano with a dragon on top, with a cloud like Death Mountain's and then the music begins and oooooohhh... <3

I still love seeing the islands approach in the distance, the thrill of discovery is still there for me so many years later. <3

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Wind Waker. Same as above. Just feels so nice to peacefully sail around, exploring every nook and cranny of each unique island you find. BotW probably a close second but a lot of the overworld ends up feeling repetitive aside from the villages.

Imagine a BotW game with Wind Waker style unique islands though :eyes:.
Too bad it feels Nintendo has slowly given up on island based games, which each successive one being more lackluster (Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Skyward Sword).

A man can dream though. Still looking forward to see how they improve on the overworld design in BotW II.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'll say Termina Field. While it may not have the vastness of something like the Great Sea, I spent a lot of time as a kid just messing around in it and so it'll always hold a soft spot in my heart.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Termina Field is a great example that an overworld doesn't have to be huge to feel big, and by extension, the whole of Majora's Mask is the same. Everything in MM is compacted together but manages to seamlessly merge the 4 regions together in my opinion. You'll find terrain from the regions expanding out into Termina field, so despite the loading screen to enter a region, you get a sense that there isn't really a transition at all and I enjoyed that a lot. I think in terms of proper fields Termina field shines brightest, as a result.

But in terms of absolute vastness and the amount of content the overworld holds, The Great Sea wins every time. It also has that same effect of seamless transition but its even better. When I would find an island as I sailed, stopped next to it and went onto land without any loading it blew my mind, and it was sooo satisfying. You can get lost on The Great Sea because it's hard to tell where it even ends.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The Great Sea for me as well. Even though I love spending time in all overworlds the Great Sea wins for me. I love to sail from place to place and to dig up treasures. I only wish they had a lot more big Octos or respawning big Octos because I enjoyed searching and fighting them the most. But yeah the Great Sea wins for me

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Termina field was the best, it had more life and activity going on there and wasn't too stupidly big to traverse, nor was it tedious to the point of boredom *cough* great sea *cough*

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I hate myself for doing this because Wind Waker is my absolute favorite. But I couldn't vote Great Sea. I love the sea and it definitely gives you that sense of adventure that Zelda needs. It's great seeing weird shapes in the distance and exploring them to see what it could be.

But I instead went with the Hyrule Field from Twilight Princess. I know this area gets criticized for being a bit empty but I never saw it that way. Instead it all felt natural and grand and it was what I think a Zelda "open world area" should be like. Part of it was aided by how easy it was to fight on horseback. Encountering enemies in the field was smooth and satisfying.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
While not the best one, I have to give it to OoT Hyrule Field. Mainly because of nostalgia, as OoT was the first Zelda I ever played. Sure it's kinda empty (especially as adult Link), but to me it represents freedom! It's such a nice feeling to run or ride through Hyrule Field, and the music is great and fits it perfectly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom