• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Game(s) Are You Playing at the Moment?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Outer Worlds - Castle is a big Obsidian fan.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS? ... It's not New Vegas :mellow:

Is it good? Yeeeeaaaaah? But I'm not totally feeling it. The narrative premise is solid. The scenario is good. It's a mishmash of Borderlands mixed with Bioshock along with the expected dark humor and occasional attempts at zaniness (which sorta fall flat a bit more often than not).

I'm not really all that interested in the companions at present. The world is pretty small. There isn't a "big huge" open world map but rather a selection of remarkably small ones with not a whole lot to see and do in em other than fight trash mobs and loot stuff. The loot is kinda disappointing because for some reason Obsidian decided to go the loot grinder route so instead of a bunch of unique weapons with different capabilities that are more effective the more skilled you are with guns we get a never ending cycle of better versions of the same gun models with improved stats that scale with your level.

In New Vegas, weapon mods were rare and valuable treasures. In Outer Worlds mods are thrown at you constantly and are disposable.

New Vegas had alternate ammo types for every weapon that you could switch out on the fly. In Outer Worlds you can add a permanent damage type to a gun with a mod that you can only change if you replace and consume the mod.

In Outer Worlds you can tinker your weapons and armor to increase their damage and armor rating, but this is nothing more than a simple cash sink. At least weapon durability doesn't deteriorate as fast as it tends to do in these games.

Combat plays alright. The tactical time dilation mechanic suffers from never lasting long enough and thus not being very useful. Mechanically, it is an improvement on VATS in every respect I will say, it just needs to have a bit longer duration.

The biggest difference I've noticed between Outer Worlds and New Vegas is that in New Vegas every quest has me gripped and intrigued and wanting to move forward to see how it plays out. In Outer Worlds quest lethargy has already set in (I'm less than 10 hours into it). Some of these missions are just doled out and already have their outcomes spelled out by the quest giver. In New Vegas you never knew how a quest would play out or resolve, but in Outer Worlds they play more like check lists than narratives.

It should be a bad sign when in the midst of playing my most anticipated game of the year I turn it off to resume my ongoing playthrough of New Vegas, which I've been playing for over a decade.

I'll keep at it though and post a proper review soon. Probably a serious formal review on my blog too.

Outer Worlds - Castle is a big Obsidian fan.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS? ... It's not New Vegas :mellow:

Is it good? Yeeeeaaaaah? But I'm not totally feeling it. The narrative premise is solid. The scenario is good. It's a mishmash of Borderlands mixed with Bioshock along with the expected dark humor and occasional attempts at zaniness (which sorta fall flat a bit more often than not).

I'm not really all that interested in the companions at present. The world is pretty small. There isn't a "big huge" open world map but rather a selection of remarkably small ones with not a whole lot to see and do in em other than fight trash mobs and loot stuff. The loot is kinda disappointing because for some reason Obsidian decided to go the loot grinder route so instead of a bunch of unique weapons with different capabilities that are more effective the more skilled you are with guns we get a never ending cycle of better versions of the same gun models with improved stats that scale with your level.

In New Vegas, weapon mods were rare and valuable treasures. In Outer Worlds mods are thrown at you constantly and are disposable.

New Vegas had alternate ammo types for every weapon that you could switch out on the fly. In Outer Worlds you can add a permanent damage type to a gun with a mod that you can only change if you replace and consume the mod.

In Outer Worlds you can tinker your weapons and armor to increase their damage and armor rating, but this is nothing more than a simple cash sink. At least weapon durability doesn't deteriorate as fast as it tends to do in these games.

Combat plays alright. The tactical time dilation mechanic suffers from never lasting long enough and thus not being very useful. Mechanically, it is an improvement on VATS in every respect I will say, it just needs to have a bit longer duration.

The biggest difference I've noticed between Outer Worlds and New Vegas is that in New Vegas every quest has me gripped and intrigued and wanting to move forward to see how it plays out. In Outer Worlds quest lethargy has already set in (I'm less than 10 hours into it). Some of these missions are just doled out and already have their outcomes spelled out by the quest giver. In New Vegas you never knew how a quest would play out or resolve, but in Outer Worlds they play more like check lists than narratives.

It should be a bad sign when in the midst of playing my most anticipated game of the year I turn it off to resume my ongoing playthrough of New Vegas, which I've been playing for over a decade.

I'll keep at it though and post a proper review soon. Probably a serious formal review on my blog too.

If I took a shot every time you say New Vegas in this comment I imagine I coukd get quite drunk.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I've recently gotten back into gacha hell, with Fate Grand Order and King of Fighters ALLSTAR.

I've been planning on grabbing a new game for switch or ps4 in a few weeks too, either outer worlds, digimon cyber sleuth, or pokemon sword, but I cant decide >_<

I've recently gotten back into gacha hell, with Fate Grand Order and King of Fighters ALLSTAR.

I've been planning on grabbing a new game for switch or ps4 in a few weeks too, either outer worlds, digimon cyber sleuth, or pokemon sword, but I cant decide >_<

Digimon. Two long and very well made games for the price of one. Cyber Sleuth also has an incredible soundtrack.

Do iiiiiiiit.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'm now onto the remaining games of my DS backlog, starting with Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Slamming ghosts is so damn satisfying.

I know! I saw GameXplain criticizing it and they're just outta their mind. Constantly pulling ghosts can get monotonous, and considering Dark Moon had already found a way to speed the process up, the slam just feels natural and so satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom