• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Historical Analysis of the Practicality of the Weapons in Zelda. Part II: The Fierce Deity's Sword.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
My last analysis dealt with the Master Sword, and we determined it to be a rather good design, if weirdly proportioned.

But today, we're discussing a strange weapon, the sword of the Fierce Deity.

For reference, here's what we're basing our analysis off of:

Let's dive in and examine this sword from a practical angle.

For those not aware, I practice historical European swordsmanship based on historical sources, so I am viewing the weapons from Zelda from this perspective.

The sword seems to be large, almost as tall as Fierce Deity Link himself, who already towers over everyone. What this gives us is a clue of what type of sword it is.

Before we discuss that, we need to brush up on our sword terminology. Don't worry, it's not too complicated.

1. Double edged blades that you use in one hand are called Arming Swords. So called, because they're the sword you "arm" yourself with.
  2. Double edged blades that are primarily used in two hands are called Longswords. They can be on the shorter end, and those are commonly called bastard swords, and they can be on the longer end, which are called war swords.
  3. Double edged blades that are so large that they require the use of two hands, and are as tall as the user, or close to it are called greatswords. They're essentially so large that you have to fundamentally change the way you fence to facilitate the use of the weapon.
Therefore, based on sword terminology, we know this sword to be a greatsword. It is as tall as Fierce Deity Link, and he uses it in two hands.

For reference, here's a greatsword from history:

Note, the proportions of the sword, as that will become extremely important.

Now, there is no fundamental problem with Fierce Deity Link using a greatsword, I think that gives him character. An imposing figure, a god, using one of the most famous and feared swords from the Renaissance cuts quite a figure, and is loaded with symbolism.

Buuuuutttt.....

The sword is a strange one, even for greatswords.

My first problem is that the handle seems way too small for the blade. This is actually a common fantasy problem, where the handles seem to be strangely proportioned.

Not only that, but the weapon lacks a guard or a pommel, meaning that Fierce Deity Link's hands are exposed, and the blade, despite its strange shape, would still be blade heavy.

Now, onto the blade. This is where I think people would say that I think it's absolutely ridiculous, and no one in their right mind would make such a sword.

Well, prepare to be surprised when I say the blade isn't too bad. The blade seems to be pattern welded from two bars of different steels, essentially making a multi-core Viking sword, without the central core.

Here's where we get into the symbolism of the blade, and what I think the intended reason for why it's Double Helixed.

Viking swords, before they traded to get crucible steel, were often made by pattern welding, which is the fusing of different metals to a central core to improve the sturdiness of the blade.

How this was done was drawing out a bar of steel, then drawing out another bar of steel that wrapped around one edge of the central core, then another bar wrapped around the other edge, then welded to the central core, and then welded at the tip.

These were sought after, as many accounts and stories from the Vikings said that they would look for, "the serpent in the blade," to signify that the weapon was made to a high standard of quality.

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about, one is an original, and the other is a modern reproduction:

What we can see in both cases, is that the central core is pattern welded made of dissimilar steels, and then strong steels are wrapped around the edge and welded to the core.

Why does this apply to the Fierce Deity Sword?

Well, considering that the Vikings held these swords in high regard, and even viewed them as magical to a degree, the Fierce Deity Sword seems to be constructed like a multi-core Viking sword, except with no central core. This is where we get the marriage of the East and the West here, because that design holds to the Zen philosophy that everything rests on nothingness. That's how you get a magic sword, after all. ;)

But why is the sword a double helix? Well, if you were to make a sword like this, without offering some reinforcement in the center, the sword would be extremely delicate and fragile, something that doesn't suit a god of war like Fierce Deity.

Therefore the sword is a double helix both for structural integrity, and the symbolic marriage of the Vikings and Eastern Zen philosophy. Fierce Deity Link is portrayed in a such a way. He's a god of war, of justice, and order. Yes, he's a force of good, but since when is justice nice? Justice is swift, justice is hard, justice is righteous. Yet, Fierce Deity Link almost has a serene look of no emotion on his face in the game. This holds with Shinto, Hindu, and Buddhist philosophy, where emotions are weak, and by shedding emotion, one obtains true power. Thus, Fierce Deity Link marries the swift, harsh justice of war, with Zen philosophy of having very little emotion.

For example, here's Siddhartha Guatama, the Buddha, depicted in iconography:

Not only that, but this wasn't a concept unique the Hindus, Buddhists, or Shinto either. This is a concept depicted in Viking and Medieval art as well. Gods, saints, and martyrs are often depicted with a serene look, signifying the shedding of emotions to deliver the will of the gods

Now, compare this to art of Fierce Deity Link:

Imposing isn't necessarily an emotion. He's a god of war and justice and order, of course he's going to be intimidating and imposing.

So, overall, the symbolism that the sword holds, and why Fierce Deity should wield it is fine, but is the blade functional?

Well, yes, surprisingly. If made by a competent and skilled craftsmen, the blade would slice and thrust quite effectively. Here's a video from the guys at Baltimore Knife & Sword on the Man-At-Arms show, making the Fierce Deity Sword, and overall, it's weird, but a proof of concept.

And who am I to judge? There's been some weird greatsword shapes in history, like this one with a flamberge blade:

I know plain edges slice deeper, but this type of sword does slice very well.

Another good thing about the Fierce Deity Sword's design is that it's got a leaf profile. That's actually going to assist it in the cut, as leaf shaped blades tend to push the point of balance down the blade a bit to assist it in the cut. The Greek Xiphos is a fantastic example of this.

So, how would I change the Fierce Deity Sword to be more practical?

For starters:
  • I'd actually keep the blade largely the same, but make it slightly narrower, and slightly longer.
  • In addition, I'd add in a substantial guard like the guards from the historical greatswords I showed earlier.
  • I'd make the handle longer, and I'd put a pommel on the end of it.
That would be the best way to make the sword more practical and functional, without sacrificing its symbolic nature.

Now, one question you guys I'm sure you guys are wondering is aren't greatswords so heavy? Well, now we're going to discuss how greatswords should be used, and where I totally destroy your vision of what greatswords are, and I'll shatter your vision of greatsword fencing.

First of all, most greatswords used in battle and combat, weigh in at around 4 - 8 lbs. Any greatsword larger than that was used for ceremonial purposes.

Now, how were they used?

Well, since they were so large, (for a sword, that is), you had to change your fencing style to bring the power of the weapon to bear. Essentially, it's used almost like a polearm.

For example, in Giacomo di Grassi's fencing manual discussing the greatsword, here's how he delivers a thrust:

"Farther, in this ward, the hand that is towards the enemy, must take hold fast of the handle near the cross, and underneath, the other hand above, and near the pommel. I say standing thus at the high ward, he may either deliver a thrust, either a down right blow of the edge.

The thrust is discharged (as soon as the enemy's sword is found) as far in the beginning as he may with both arms: Then, taking away the cross hand, he shall force it farther on with the pommel hand, as much as he may stretch it forth, always in the discharge, increasing a slope pace. And the thrust being thus delivered, he shall presently retire his said pace, and return his hand again to the cross, settling himself either in the high or low warde."

Because of the length of the weapon, you can essentially deliver thrusts like a spear, as Grassi demonstrates.

If we look at Frencesco Fernando Alfieri, he also demonstrates another way the greatsword should be used:

"The present lessons are all taken from the real occasions of the matter, which for most happen hot-blooded, we have come to the method of doing the three crosses. By using it in the time that you are assaulted in a plaza or a large street by several people, and to do this you all know requires much judgement, but accompanied with resolution and skill as shown in the prefixed figure.

The first cross will be split with two cuts from the forehand, accompanying it with the right foot, rotating the body and spadone around, and every single strike causes its motion, having the left foot firmly grounded, and the other which walks with the cuts two times. And then stopping the right foot, and commence with the left foot the same with two backhand cuts, and finish the two blows you will start as before with the right foot, and if it will from here pass to the right side, pull the same two forehand cuts, and stop the right foot when finished. And the left you will put to the left side and pull its two backhand cuts, and you will return then into the same place where you had started.

The second cross you will do with three cuts of the forehand, and with three backhand cuts. The forehand cuts will be accompanied with the right foot, and the backhand with the left foot, turning the body three times with the spadone. You will however keep the said order.

The third cross you will do four cuts, likewise of backhand cuts, replicating four turns per part, one forward, the other to behind, and the same will be done to the right flank, and left. Observing the rule which we have established with aforesaid discourse."

Essentially what he means is that if you're engaging multiple opponents, or are cutting with the greatsword, you don't want to kill your momentum by stopping the blade. One, it's too massive to do that unlike with the longsword, and two, it ends up being slower and more telegraphed with a greatsword.

And make no mistake, when done properly, greatswords are a FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH. Don't believe the rumors that these were slow, no, if done properly, the cuts come extremely fast, at a hard to gauge distance (the distance of a polearm), and because of the mass of the sword, hits like a truck, and because the weapon is sharp, it easily cleaves.

It's a formidable weapon.

If you need a visual, here's a video by the fencing team Adorea fighting with greatswords:

Pretty cool stuff to watch.

So overall, the improvements I'd make to the Fierce Deity's Sword is to make the handle longer, give it a substantial guard, and put a pommel on it, while narrowing the blade and making it longer. I see no functional reason to change the double helix blade, as Man-At-Arms demonstrated that it can be perfectly functional for cutting and the overall balance of the blade. Also, the fact that the sword has a leaf-shaped blade would make it a very effective cutter, so I see no reason to fix what isn't broken.

So, if I were to give a score to the Fierce Deity's Sword, based on a practical and historical perspective, I give it a 6/10. While the double helix blade can be functional, as Man-At-Arms shows, the hilt assembly is very weak, lacking a substantial guard that we know historical greatswords had, and the handle is way too small to facilitate effective greatsword fencing.

Let me know your thoughts! If there's a weapon you want me to cover from the series, just let me know!

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yo i freakin love this
I would be excited to see you do some analysis on all sorts of weapons

have you ever played dark souls?

If you have, there are tons of cool weapons from there that you could maybe do some shorter analyses on
otherwise I want to see an analysis of a phantom Ganon sword from wind waker!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Yo i freakin love this
I would be excited to see you do some analysis on all sorts of weapons

have you ever played dark souls?

If you have, there are tons of cool weapons from there that you could maybe do some shorter analyses on
otherwise I want to see an analysis of a phantom Ganon sword from wind waker!
Glad you enjoyed it. If you haven't seen it yet, read my review on the Master Sword, where longswords are discussed as well. I'd be more than happy to do Phantom Ganon's sword from the Wind Waker, that will be pretty fun!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Wow, these are really insightful and refreshing to read. Good on you! I'm definitely going to follow this series, just from the first two I've already learned a lot about swords that I never knew before. Please keep doing them!

I have to admit, I never thought of the Fierce Deity's sword as being practical in any sense. You have changed my mind. I've always thought it was one of the cooler looking blades in the series, though a tad over the top if I'm being honest. Interesting to know the double helix blade isn't historically inaccurate.

I would be interested to see your take on the Razor Sword from Majora's Mask. It's a unique shape and I'd be curious to see if the double blade is practical or not.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Wow, these are really insightful and refreshing to read. Good on you! I'm definitely going to follow this series, just from the first two I've already learned a lot about swords that I never knew before. Please keep doing them!

I have to admit, I never thought of the Fierce Deity's sword as being practical in any sense. You have changed my mind. I've always thought it was one of the cooler looking blades in the series, though a tad over the top if I'm being honest. Interesting to know the double helix blade isn't historically inaccurate.

I would be interested to see your take on the Razor Sword from Majora's Mask. It's a unique shape and I'd be curious to see if the double blade is practical or not.
The blade isn't historical, as evidenced from the greatswords from history I showed, but it is perfectly functional, if made by a skilled and experienced craftsman.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
This is definitely cool. Learned a bit here. I'd love to read what your take on the Razor Sword is
Glad to know you enjoyed it. Funnily enough, the Razor Sword is one I was looking to do next, and that one will be interesting, as we'll be looking at Medieval single-edged blades.

Yay <3

Im loving this series. I honestly didnt think you'd be able to draw so much from the FD blade.

I totally thought you were gonna call it useless but I loved the bit about the vikings looking for the serpent in the blade (that is so metal \m/)

I also loved that you married the sword and the character. I know weapons become an extension of the one using it and you really made it sound as if Nintendo put a lot more thought into character design than most of us would initially think.

Thank you for covering this one, it doesn't feel as goofy to me now. <3

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Yay <3

Im loving this series. I honestly didnt think you'd be able to draw so much from the FD blade.

I totally thought you were gonna call it useless but I loved the bit about the vikings looking for the serpent in the blade (that is so metal \m/)

I also loved that you married the sword and the character. I know weapons become an extension of the one using it and you really made it sound as if Nintendo put a lot more thought into character design than most of us would initially think.

Thank you for covering this one, it doesn't feel as goofy to me now. <3
It's not a completely historical blade, but it would be usable. And yes, for Link's iconic swords, there is symbolism in them. Mainly the Master Sword has the most symbolism attached to it. So I'm glad you're enjoying the series! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom