• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you get stage fright?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
As a musician, I used to have severe performance anxiety. Before I began studying music full time, I got extremely anxious every time i had to take the stage. This didn't apply just to music either, if I had to make a speech or act in a play, the moments before stepping on stage were just awful and the experience of performing wasn't as good as it should have been due to the constant fear pecking at me throughout.

I have since managed to overcome my performance anxiety for the most part since it was necessary as part of my career building process, but I still have trouble talking in front of crowds when I need to.

So, how do you do in front of crowds? Whether it's making a speech, giving a lecture, acting, dancing, playing music, doing comedy, etc. Do you have no problem being in front of people or do you get stage fright like I used to? Does it depend on what kind of act you are doing on said stage? Does it matter whether you're by yourself or in a group?

I am one of the few that really does not mind giving presentations or speaking in front of large audiences. I just talk and talk and people seem to like it because I get positive (anonymous) feedback.
Just keep in mind that your audience generally knows less about the subject you are telling about than you are - so they won't even notice if you make a mistake - and that almost everyone is happy that you are up there instead of themselves. Besides, always praise the question if you get one :sweat:

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I only get it when I am doing public speaking, if I am preforming like choir, piano or a play I am fine. I get a little nervous but no actual fear from it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The last time I spoke in front of a crowd was at my brother's funeral in feb this year. Of course, it was no big crowd but it was still a crowd. I don't really like speaking in front of crowds but if there is something I have to say, I'll do it. No matter what. The urge to go up and say what I wanna say is bigger than stage fright. It doesn't happen often though

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Performing in front of people is not generally a problem for me and I don't get stage fright from it. I only get more nervous if people I know are in the crowd.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I don't get stage fright really. If I'm playing guitar or trumpet on stage I tend to get a little nervous but it's more nervous because I'm hoping I didn't forget anything than nervous to be in front of people. Public speaking gets me a little scared before hand but once I get into it, it goes smoothly usually.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I used to but not really anymore. I took a communications class in college so I think that helped with my stage fright a bit. I also took choir in high school and I tried out for a solo before I graduated so that also helped a lot with my stage fright. I still get a bit nervous when I preform anything in front of a group of people but I haven’t really done anything like that in the last couple of years so I have no idea.

Ninja

Well well well
It’s not really stage fright, it’s just the anxiety leading up to the actual event. Once I get myself going it’s really easy to feel comfortable talking in front of others.

oddly enough, no, despite having social anxiety. if i talk to individual people or groups though i become uncomfortable (especially if it's with people i don't know)

how does that work, idk

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As i've not been on stage in 15 years i'd saaay yes as the last time i did it (was a leaving concert for year 6's going into highschool(woo britkids)) i was terrified and actually ended up not attending said concert because i got ill from the terror.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I'm a musician as well, and I just love playing. My problem is I get too excited and get jittery.

My suggestion would be to make sure you practice so you know your parts backwards.

If you're of age, a slight bit of alcohol to calm the nerves can help, but I stress that this is done in moderation!!!! Don't get piss drunk before you go onstage.

If you must, create an alter ego for performance. If it worked for Alice Cooper and Buckethead, it can work for you.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only time I am talking on a stage is generally for public speaking or giving presentations for class assignments and I've not really had an issue with stage fright for either. I had quite a bit of experience speaking in public throughout school so I think that helped me quite a lot.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Not at all, I played in a band and we used to play int fromt of 100s of people. I think when I'm on stage I enter in a kind of dreamy haze and it's like the audience isn't even there.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
When giving presentations, I used to get such horrible anxiety about it that I dreaded going up in front of others. In my first year of college, though, I sought help from a private tutor whom I practiced giving presentations with, and wouldn't you know it, I've never had issues like that since. Now I don't feel any anxiety about it at all; in fact, throughout the rest of my college years I was always volunteering to go first.

I don't have any experience with performing in front of others, so I don't know if I have stage fright for that. The closest thing would be my theater experience as stage crew, but every time I was on the stage, all the lights were off and I was focused on moving props, so it didn't really have time to register for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom