• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Which version will you prefer the most?

Game Boy - 1993

4BGbV1O.jpg

Game Boy Colour - 1998

Cz77ldJ.jpg

Nintendo Switch - 2019

ipKX4Cc.jpg

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
Gameboy Color. If the remake is literally just a remake, then my comparison will purely be based on the graphical style. I don't know if I like the claymation vibe that I get from the trailer. It also just feels weird to see one of my favorite games remade for 2-D to 2.5D.

If they change up a little more than the art style, maybe add a hero mode or change some caves to minidungeons, then I might consider the switch.

As it is, I'll stay with the LA I know and love.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I'm probably the only dude around that likes the original 93 version the most, I played it on a pink gba and the color scheme for playing it on a gba was pink, and I thought at the time it was b/c of the color of my gba, I don't know I have a lot of affinity w/ that version, though the DX version is probably objectively better

Salem

SICK
Dude, it's too early to tell, although I wanna say I like the DX version's colour scheme, but the original is not half bad.

To be more specific, some minor were different in the original, like the owl statues which were simple stop slabs.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
No question, the OG version reigns supreme. At least as of now. While DX added some cool features and a mediocre dungeon, it also changed the entire meaning of secret ending. Spoiler alert, by the way. In the original, when you beat the game without dying, you would see Marin with wings in the waking world revealing that while the game may have taken place in the Wind Fish's dream, Koholint may not be entirely bound to the realm of the subconscious. This twist ending meant a lot to me when I beat the game without dying for the first time. The entire game is set up to convince you that everything is just a dream and nothing matters but at the end, the bitter-sweetness you just experienced as the island faded is quickly replaced by the elation of knowing that, whether it was a dream or not, at least something of the dream also exists in the waking world.

The DX version, of course replaces this ending with the image of a seagull in the waking world and the simple memory of Marin in Link's mind. Again I really hope that the Switch remake fixes this problem.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As someone who has not played the previous versions and has no nostalgia feeling attached to them I am pretty sure that I will like the newer version better once I play it (even if I get the chance to play the other versions before it).

Quin

Disaster Master
DX. The new one looks bad and I won't be paying 60 bucks for a GB switch game, and DX is one of those ports/remasters thats a straight upgrade and loses nothing (except a glitch and a slightly different ending)

The DX version, of course replaces this ending with the image of a seagull in the waking world and the simple memory of Marin in Link's mind. Again I really hope that the Switch remake fixes this problem.
Thats not how I saw it at all. Its just an better approach at what the original tried to do. Marin wanted to be a seagull and explore the world and sing to people. Thats what the original tried to show with the sprite with wings but did a poor job at it. DX isn't just a memory, thats IS suppose to be Marin as a seagull

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom