• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link be more agile in the next 3D game?

I'm fine with the way Link moves in BotW but sometimes it can feel like he is making a meal of certain things, mostly climbing and moving over obstacles.

Games like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider and Nier Automata have quite athletic characters who can get around pretty swiftly, unlike Link.

Would you like to see a more agile Link in the next game akin to Lara Croft, 2B and that bloke in the white robes?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I didn't have any real issue with links agility. The lad can climb surfaces which a human being shouldn't be able to climb. Even Ezio needed to find the footholds on a building to scale it and each climbable surface had specific ways to climb. You even need to unlock and learn a certain jump to get to higher areas in the game.

Link however can climb pretty much anything from the get go...so long as it's not got a bit of water on it. Then OH NOES, gotta wait ages for the rain to stop.

My real issue is with the implementation of the stamina meter. It's annoying and because BoTW's philosophy goes against what I think a Zelda game should be they werent going to do it right anyway. But still Link seems to start off with the stamina of an obese emphysematous smoker even though he is supposed to be some great powerful hero. I am definitely not ok with him getting tired after running a distance which should not tire a fit and healthy person.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Character movement schemes and skill sets are a new thing with a lot of recent video games. It turns out that video game players spend an awful lot of time just moving from A to B. Might as well make it interesting.

I can't really see them going over the top with Link though. We don't need to be swinging from the rooftops like Spiderman or jumping over alleyways like Batman. But just the visceral sensation of quick and responsive swimming or climbing or mounting would make traveling fun. Link already has a hookshot. Why not use it like Batman's grapple gun in the Arkham games? The spinner was a unique means of conveyance in Twilight Princess but it was woefully underutilized. Why not make it a sweet short distance scooter or let it attach to more surfaces for ease of conveyance? There's already the dekuleaf/clothsail for gliding. Anyone play Just Cause? I rest my case.

I think it was fine the way it was in BotW. I would like to see the hookshot return to help with climbing. Upgrade it throughout the game to interact with different things in the environment.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd like link to get the choice to either be an agile character (such as a ranger using bows as primary attacking) or a more tanky character able to get in and close to foes to fight them

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Like many have said before, he needs to get that stamina up. Also I'd like a Link who can actually fight without a sword, like I just want Link to deck a bokoblin in the face. It doesn't have to do much, but it'd be better than nothing.

Stamina was indeed quite awful in BOTW, especially while running. And you do want to run a lot, because Link walks freakingly slow, of the long distances you sometimes have to travel and general impatience... For climbing, I think stamina was quite like it should be.

At the same time, Link is Link, and although it's amazing what he can do with swords, and should be able to run longer than 4 seconds, I never envisioned him as someone who was able to gracefully move around like the main characters in Assassins Creed. I also think it would be quite clumsy seeing him fighting with bare hands like @BlackWolf//WhiteAngel proposes.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I've always paid close attention to Link's movesets throughout the series. Link's movements and responsiveness really add to his character and fits with each game.

The Hero of Time is a sufficient sword fighter who's a bit awkward and unrefined like a novice but has physical agility and dexterity far ahead of his counterparts which not only makes sense as a showcase for the new 3D console but also for a kid who grew up in a forest and had more time to devote to athletic pursuits than swordplay. The Hero of Time even gets more athletic in Majora's Mask when he ads some nifty somersaults to his jumps for no other reason than because it looks cool. He's also the series' fastest climber.

The Hero of Twilight, meanwhile, is a young man well trained in swordsmanship and horseback riding whose physical dexterity is sorely lacking. He's clearly spent more time in the saddle than on foot. Seriously, dude, forget vines. You climb ladders like a grandma! But his swordplay is second to none compared to his counterparts and when he slips into a saddle - man - watch him take off! And all those years of manual labor on the ranch have made him a natural sumo wrestler fit to challenge even the Gorons! Seriously, dude is ripped.

The Hero of Winds is a freakish monstrosity whose small stature makes him a natural sneak fit for hiding under barrels like some sort of creepy gremlin and whose hideous mutations grant him strength enough to bash armored giants twice his size across the room and throw heavy planks of wood with enough force to demolish boarded up walls despite his minuscule stature.

And Skyward Sword link is a chubby lipped doughboy who flails his sword around like a spastic twit and can barely walk a straight line, much less climb anything without becoming exhausted after a few feet. A seven year old could walk laps around him and the dude can't even step onto uneven terrain without getting exhausted to the point of fainting from the exertion within seconds flat. He can't keep his bloody Loftwing under control as he hangs on for dear life while it flaps about all over the sky with a mind of its own. The only thing Skyward Sword link excels at is falling and he can't even do that gracefully.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
When I think of Link being more agile, I think of him exploring like Prince of Persia. That would be kind of cool, but ultimately I think BotW did a good job with it. I would add some things like sidling and wall jumping and stuff to that. Swinging from ropes and vines and stuff. I don’t have a problem with managing stamina, either. It’s logical and easy to deal with.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yeah, make Link more agile by getting rid of the stupid stamina meter and putting more of an emphasis on exploration, and trash the rain while they're at it. There's no greater immersion-breaker than arriving at a cliff that's either too high or soaked to the brim and Link can't scale it because his vitalities aren't sufficient. It also wouldn't hurt to make climbing faster because the action is tedious enough with Linkle's minute baby steps.

If Nintendo is going to rip off AssCreed, then they might as well take off with all of the core features, including uninhibited activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom