• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Link's Awakening Remake's artstyle origins?

After following a curious rabbit hole in the comment section of LAR's reveal video, it was brought to my attention that LAR's artstyle may not be as random as we first suspected.

Some people believe the artstyle to be a reference to a Japanese commercial for LA's original GameBoy release.

I can certainly see where they're coming from but I don't really believe that the artstyle is a reference to this commercial.

The photographs in the original game are more likely the true origins.
Photograph01a.png

But what do you think, could LAR's artsyle have origins within this commercial?

(LAR for reference)

Last edited:
The art style for the animated cut scene at the beginning looked more like the style they used for the Oracle games to me.

The commercial looks like puppets. (I can’t really tell what they’re made of) Since the game looks like clay and Nintendo has a history of ‘craft’ games (Paper Mario, Kirby wool, Kirby clay, Yoshi wool, etc) it’s not surprising they used something like that. Although it’s possible, I think they look a bit different in the game than the add.

I also read a pretty insightful YouTube comment that posited the toy look makes sense to represent the dreams of a child.

Hmmm... I dunno. This Link has just saved Hyrule and undergone a lot of hardships and had to kill monsters... that kind of thing changes a person, I don't think once he's unconscious he's gonna imagine himself as a plastic garden gnome.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A friend of mine made an entire article about the art style of the remake, and he drew the same conclusion as you, that the character designs orginate from the appearence of the photographs in the game. Unfortunately the article was took down from the website when the owner decided to kill it off... The website is still there but what you see is a backup version of it from before my friend's article was even published.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom